Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
At one time I thought it was required for an iPad app to run in all orientations, however I am seeing more apps like words with friends that only run in portrait mode home button on bottom orientation. Is it now ok for apps on iPad to only run like this?

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Portrait/Portrait UpsideDown and LandscapeLeft&LandscapeRight, those should be supported. With that statement I mean.
If you decide to only support "1" orientation, you should support both upsidedown and normal. This is described in the HiG.

There are plenty of iPad apps that dont work in upside down mode

nickculbertson

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Nashville, TN
I've had an app rejected for not supporting "upside down" mode. I've also had them approved with only one orientation. Many things slip through the cracks in the review process. All it takes is one line of code to get an app working in LandscapeRight and LandscapeLeft.

Nick

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I've had an app rejected for not supporting "upside down" mode. I've also had them approved with only one orientation. Many things slip through the cracks in the review process. All it takes is one line of code to get an app working in LandscapeRight and LandscapeLeft.

Nick

How do you get it working in just the two portrait orientations?

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
should be something like this in your UIViewController
Code:
- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation
{
    // Return YES for supported orientations
	return (interfaceOrientation == UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft) || (interfaceOrientation == UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight);
}

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.