Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpenderg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
My 867mhz Powerbook harddrive died on me the other day and im lookin for a new one. Willing to spend $130 bucks, but will do more if it helps its performace. The old drive was a 40gb 4200rpm, does the 5400rpm really make that much diff Vs the price?? or should i just bite the bullet and drop the $$ for the 7200rpm? Also what brand should i go for, only had experance with Western Digital...

Also broke the F2 key takeing it apart 8(, dam near made me cry, whats this going to cost, and where can i get it? Know ebay has them for about 10 bucks, Don't think i could live with a missing key.

The labtop only has to last me 6 months before i can afford a new one, but would like this one as a hand me down for someone. anyways any help is good.

Thanks.
Matt

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Hej Matt,

I have had really good luck with the Toshiba 80GB 5400rpm drive in my PowerBook (it is what apple used). I also have the same drive in an external case. My drive did die about a year after I had it, but apple fixed that right up.

If you go to newegg.com, you can find this drive for about $137, or you can go for a different brand and save some money.

Kimo

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
dmw007 said:
I would go for a 7,200 rpm hard drive- should be alot faster than your old 4,200 rpm hd.

Possibly at the expense of battery life and might run hotter than usual.

It's been done before though and I'm thinking about adding a 7,200rpm drive to my powerbook.

(that is if nice shinny new powerbooks aren't around the corner anytime soon)

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Honestly, a modern 5400 rpm drive is going to provide a huge speed-up over an old 4200 rpm drive, so going whole-hog to a 7200 rpm drive is probably overkill. Plus, I'm not sure there are any 7200 rpm laptop drives out there that aren't pretty loud (for a laptop). They tend to have a pretty high pitched whine to them that drive me crazy in an otherwise very quiet machine.

I have the same problem (high pitched whine) in the seagate momentus 5400 rpm drive that they included in my mac mini, as well as with the fujitsu 5400 rpm drive that I have in my 1.25 ghz powerbook (80 gb). It's really annoying, as these machines are mostly silent other than hard drive noise.

If you're even marginally concerned about noise, I'd go with a western digital scorpio. All of the sizes are fast and quiet at 5400 rpm. The 40 gb version may be even quieter, as it will only use one disk platter.

7200 rpm drives use only marginally more power than 5400 rpm drives, so I wouldn't worry about it impacting your battery life. I'd be more concerned about noise and cost for the 6 months you're going to use it.

My 2 cents.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
You are absolutely right. I never thought about the noise aspect of a 7,200rpm drive. Both my desktop and back up hard drives are 7,200. They're quite loud!!

Thanks

looklost

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2002
Chicago Suburbs
I have the first g4 powerbook 400mhz it only came with a 10gig HD. I replaced it with an IBM travelstar 7200 it didn't make much noise and I didn't really suffer from lower battery life either. 2 1/2 years latter the drive failed and the company I bought it from (transintl) replaced it at no charge with a toshiba 5400 and I don't notice any speed difference. Hope that helps.

P.S. I'll take your 867mhz as a hand me down, my powerbook is starting to show it's age. :p

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
EGT said:
Possibly at the expense of battery life and might run hotter than usual.

The specs on the 7200 RPM laptop drives are pretty much the same as the 5200 RPM drives in terms of heat and battery life. This should not be a factor at all.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
ahh ok, I wasn't too sure about the heat/battery. 2.5" 7200 drives defiantly exist though. I think its seagate that has a 100gb version?

I think someone posted about it a few weeks ago. I can't quite remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.