PDA

View Full Version : Morph OS anyone tried it?

kevin242
Dec 8, 2011, 10:24 PM
Has anyone had a chance to try Morph OS? It looks FAST, the Amiga compatibility (even though i had one back in the day) is fairly useless at this point, but if this leaner more optimized (from the video) OS for Power PC's might be a viable choice... it looks interesting

http://www.morphos.de/index.html

ThunderSnake
Dec 9, 2011, 08:48 PM
I've been itching to play with it for awhile, but never get around to it. I'd have to downgrade my video card back to my Radeon 9000 to get 3D acceleration, an interesting notion in itself.

Check out YouTube and also these forums (http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/) if you don't get an answer here.

It's neat that this is being written specifically for G4s at the moment, each update boasting greater Altivec optimization. Support for processor nap mode too!

Zeke D
Dec 10, 2011, 11:53 AM
I am interested, but I despise shareware. It turns to crap after 30 minutes unless you give them $111 or so.

Bloodstar
Dec 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
It turns to crap after 30 minutes unless you give them $111 or so.

111.11, actually ... And any interest I might have had in MorphOS is gone. If I'm going to drop ~$150 (148.73 at the time of this post, to be exact) on an OS to run on a PPC Mac, it's going to be Leopard - something I know works well (with the added benefit of running most to all of my preexisting PPC Mac software, instead of having to find new applications). I'd rather not have to reboot every half hour to keep on testing an OS, if rebooting even resets that timer...

Now, if it was in the line of... say, $30-50, I might give it a shot. But at that price point for something I barely get a chance to look at before it cripples itself... I'm sticking to OS X.

kevin242
Dec 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
111.11, actually ... And any interest I might have had in MorphOS is gone. If I'm going to drop ~$150 (148.73 at the time of this post, to be exact) on an OS to run on a PPC Mac, it's going to be Leopard - something I know works well (with the added benefit of running most to all of my preexisting PPC Mac software, instead of having to find new applications). I'd rather not have to reboot every half hour to keep on testing an OS, if rebooting even resets that timer...

Now, if it was in the line of... say, $30-50, I might give it a shot. But at that price point for something I barely get a chance to look at before it cripples itself... I'm sticking to OS X.

i didn't realize they were selling it. I assumed it was free.

scissors247
Dec 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
I've tried MorphOS and I'll admit it's an interesting OS. The price to unlock it is outrageous, and your computer will turn into a slug after 30 minutes unless you pay it. Everybody's free to run it off the boot CD, even if they have no intention to install it or pay for it.

Due to a lack of software, MorphOS isn't particularly useful. If you're an Amiga stalwart who owned an Amiga with a PPC accelerator, it's a good OS for running your old programs on faster hardware. For the vast majority of computer users, they'll be put off by the absence of a decent office suite or fully-featured web browser.

From a practical standpoint, Amiga-lovers would be better off running their old programs on an emulator like UAE for PC or Mac.