PDA

View Full Version : Would you still buy an iPod Classic today?

Razeus
Dec 9, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'm going to pick on up. For use for on the go especially in the car. I love iTunes Match on my iPhone, but I feel a dedicated device that doesn't depend on the cloud is much faster. Especially now that all my files are 256k. I won't be able to get all of my songs on there as my library is well over 160GB (140GB usable), but I'll have all the great stuff on it. I sure wished they had made a 250GB version for old sake, but 160GB is all we have. Going to get a refurbed model.

h1r0ll3r
Dec 9, 2011, 10:45 AM
Been thinking about getting one, like you, just for the car. I use my nano and iPhone most of the time however it would be nice to dump all my files onto one unit and listen to them in the car. And I also wish they made a 250GB one. that would be perfect for the car.

rgarjr
Dec 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have one that u use only for my car Pioneer AVIC headunit. Only take it inside to sync up. iPods and SD card/USB flash is the new media now, no more CDs.

steve2112
Dec 9, 2011, 12:33 PM
I use mine 2007 era (I think, it was the first 160GB model) Classic in my car, and I would easily buy another Classic if it dies. The refurb models are great. 160GB worth of stuff for $209? Sure.

tardman91
Dec 9, 2011, 12:39 PM
Only if I had a HUGE music collection.

Grolubao
Dec 9, 2011, 01:07 PM
Don't understand what's till all buzz about music in the cloud. I love to have all my library with me at all times without depending on internet or such. Plus, having a separate device for playing music makes my iPhone have much more battery all the time.

wrinkster22
Dec 9, 2011, 01:09 PM
I really want to get one to hold my tv show and movie collection, seeing as it is the best way to play it on a small device. I wish they would put the larger drive in it also..

Razeus
Dec 9, 2011, 01:22 PM
a 250 or even 320 drive would be perfect. That would hold my entire 200GB library of 256k AAC files.

StingerT125
Dec 9, 2011, 05:44 PM
I use mine in my car also. I like to be able to have all my music with me. I have one that I use for my ripped CDs and iTunes purchases and one that I use for my live concerts.

I also wish they would make a larger capacity one!

Vudoo
Dec 9, 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm still using my 80 GB iPod in the car. I wouldn't mind a bigger one, but would have to replace my adapter.

iPhoenix
Dec 10, 2011, 12:31 AM
lol, 80,160 now want 250, 320. How much do we want more, 1Tb? Do we really listen all 80Gb songs @@?

Thnkdifferent
Dec 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
It's nice to know I can listen to whatever I want. I hated trying to predict what I would want to listen to.

miles01110
Dec 10, 2011, 12:35 AM
Sure, if I needed one.

LeandrodaFL
Dec 10, 2011, 12:39 PM
Isnt the classic also a movie player? this ipod is not simply music, is media! You can keep entire DVD movies on your pocket, you cant do that on iphone/touch

eye
Dec 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
Yes. Still the best iPod or music player, period. All the bells and whistles on an iPod touch still don't make up for the simplicity and form of the classic.

danimal67
Dec 10, 2011, 04:53 PM
I sure would. I use my 160gb for my home audio collection. I've converted many old LP's and CD's onto my ipod, and it is SO much easier to just select a genre or playlist than it is to dig out different cd's or albums. Specially for albums it's great cuz i don't have to get up every 20 minutes to flip it over!

iEvolution
Dec 12, 2011, 04:03 AM
Yes. Its still in a league of its own. There isn't any other media players with the ease of use, size (physical dimensions not screen size) and capacity of the iPod Classic. Closest one is the Zune but the software is inferior.

I actually have 4 of them, a 5th gen video 240GB (HD swapped) outputting video to the TV (I like to buy TV episodes I miss from the iTS and watch them on my TV), a 5th gen swapped with a 120GB HD, a 2008 120GB (my primary music player than has been dropped a dozen times and still runs like a champ), and a 2010 160GB in the closet just waiting to be used when my 120GB gets a crappy battery or dies.

I will likely purchase one more when the model is finally put to rest. :(

chewie100
Dec 12, 2011, 05:01 AM
I read this a while ago
http://www.mactrast.com/2011/02/apple-to-refresh-ipod-classic/
(the post is from earlier this year, before the last Keynote) still no sign of it, but there does seem to be plenty of interest in a bigger capacity model.

Akack
Dec 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
16 gb ipod nano is more than enough capacity for me.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 12, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yes, I would. As a number of other posters have already pointed out, there are people (among whom I count myself) who like a device which is able to contain their entire music collection.

At present, I have a 80GB iPod classic and the 64Gb iTouch. I travel quite a bit, and I like the idea of being able to access my entire music collection readily. Yes, the iTouch is terrific, but most of the time, I use an iPod just for listening to music.

Granted, if the classic were to appear with a large SSD drive - 128, or even 256, I'd see myself in the market for such a device, but, for now, I'm happy with a wonderful, pretty sturdy, portable device which can hold my entire music collection.

Cheers

Primejimbo
Dec 12, 2011, 05:23 PM
I would buy one in a heart beat. I have an 80GB iPod Classic and when there were rumors of Apple dropping the Classic, I was ready to buy the 160GB.
I like that I can have 95% of my music on it and I just use it at work, in the car and camping. I love my iPhone, but I text, call and web and wouldn't want it to be my main music device.

Yaboze
Dec 12, 2011, 06:36 PM
Absolutely. I am hoping they are still made if/when my 80GB dies. I use it in the car every day and at my desk at work.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 12, 2011, 06:38 PM
Yes I would. I use a 30GB Classic in my truck which is hooked up to my Alpine stereo. It's not full yet, not even close, but if it broke or I needed one with more capacity, I would get another Classic.

charlieroberts
Dec 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
The day they announce the death of Classic, I'm buying three! I just think iPT can't come close. I currently have (three third gen) iPods, so that's why I'm not buying, waiting on those to give up.
Had my hopes up for a ten year anniversary edition... but alas, no such luck.

I really can't believe they are going to let it die without some big goodbye, one last update...

vitzr
Dec 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
It's one of the most useful iPods, due to it's high capacity. I've used one for years & just bought a new one yesterday. Not just for music, the're good for all kinds of files. That's the best aspect for my usage. Being so large I've got music, photos, video & computer files on mine. Small compact & rugged I have mine in my pocket, in my car, or laptop bag constantly.

While obviously not "the latest" this is one stellar example of a device that at least for me, never loses it's usefullness. If (when) Apple starts to make noises like it's about to be discontinued I'm buying another as a spare.

Razeus
Dec 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
I am disappointed we didn't see a 10th Anniversary iPod classic.

richardhunt
Dec 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
If you have young kids, it is absolutely the best way to travel with all their favorite movies and TV shows. I travel with one and the :apple: composite cable and hook up to TV's whenever we travel so he can watch his shows.

BlizzardBolt
Dec 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
If you have young kids, it is absolutely the best way to travel with all their favorite movies and TV shows. I travel with one and the :apple: composite cable and hook up to TV's whenever we travel so he can watch his shows.

Not really the ipod touch is still the superior ipod with a bigger higher resolutions screen. Not to mention flash storage so no more hardrive failures.

David085
Dec 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
I will buy anything but the classic like a iPod Touch or iPad before I even consider an classic that style is old

SCARY GAY DAD
Dec 14, 2011, 09:23 PM
Only if it had a flash drive instead of a hard drive. And if it could make calls. And had a touch screen.

malnar
Dec 15, 2011, 09:00 AM
lol, 80,160 now want 250, 320. How much do we want more, 1Tb? Do we really listen all 80Gb songs @@?
There's always at least one of these guys, isn't there? "I don't listen to much music so no one else possibly could." It's called CHOICE. Some people are completely fine with a small library of songs that they've listened to a million times. Then there are those of us who have 25-30 years of music collecting behind us and want to have as much of it with us as possible because we get something buzzing in our heads and want to hear it as easily as possible.

AdrianK
Dec 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
Not really the ipod touch is still the superior ipod with a bigger higher resolutions screen. Not to mention flash storage so no more hardrive failures.
I think you missed the point. If an iPod is entire used as a TV out device with a large library, it does not need a high resolution display and 64GB of storage may not be sufficient.

Some people do, I'm guessing they're the same people who are currently purchasing Classics.

tmagman
Dec 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
absolutely. My classic 160 is still my favorite iPod to walk around and travel with. A couple of seasons of TV shows really fill up my other devices . I just wish they would up the video quality that it supports. I don't want to have to keep downconverting my videos to 320x480 or whatever so they'll play on there. 720p support would be fantastic.

toxikos
Dec 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
I exchanged my old Iphone 3G with an IPOD classic 160GB. Now I can carry my whole ITUNES library with me

macfrik
Dec 16, 2011, 05:17 PM
Yes. The iPod classic is still my favorite item for music. It holds almost anything everywhere. Sometimes its nice to have a physical music and Disney shorts wherever you go where iTunes Match is a killer feature nowadays.

Thetonyk123
Dec 16, 2011, 08:21 PM
I would if I had a huge collection of iTunes data I would. I have 1.9gb of music. Probably like 5gb of video

PlaceofDis
Dec 16, 2011, 08:24 PM
yes. and i have one that i got just about three months ago. it is still the most functional iPod in my opinion.

what i don't understand is why they haven't updated it. how awesome would it be to have iOS on that just for the iTunes store and automatic downloading of purchased music.

okrelayer
Dec 16, 2011, 10:20 PM
I LOVE my iPod Classic. I use it all day while driving and i use it as i lay down

ajohansson
Dec 19, 2011, 03:46 PM
absolutely. My classic 160 is still my favorite iPod to walk around and travel with. A couple of seasons of TV shows really fill up my other devices . I just wish they would up the video quality that it supports. I don't want to have to keep downconverting my videos to 320x480 or whatever so they'll play on there. 720p support would be fantastic.

The resolution issue right now is my biggest complaint. I would think that the next version would support 720p. the bottom line is until flash can come down in price to a physical HD the classic is the best for bringing lots of content with you like video on the road. I love it for playing video but its just an inconvenience to have to have to rips (one for ATV2 at highest quality for my TV and another smaller for my classic.) 64 Gig Touch is just too expensive and not enough space for video on the go.

So apple bring my a 240 Gig classic that will play 720 P and Im yours again.

TheSuperSteve
Dec 19, 2011, 06:03 PM
I would only buy an iPod classic if it was really cheap. I'm talking about $60 or under.

rgarjr
Dec 19, 2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah they need to update it with ios, touch screen, click wheel, wiFi, HD Radio, BT. So much stuff they can put in it.

[DL]
Dec 19, 2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah they need to update it with ios, touch screen, click wheel, wiFi, HD Radio, BT. So much stuff they can put in it.

You're suggesting a touch screen and a click wheel, while the Classic already has a click wheel and certainly wouldn't also need a touch screen.

penfan82
Dec 19, 2011, 09:46 PM
Love my classic it stil remains my most beloved device it's the only thing I can hold most of my music collection on use it in the car everyday they can come out with retina this and touch that I wouldn't change my classic for the world

connoisseur
Dec 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
I have two classic both 160gb

torbjoern
Dec 26, 2011, 11:38 AM
yes. and i have one that i got just about three months ago. it is still the most functional iPod in my opinion.

what i don't understand is why they haven't updated it. how awesome would it be to have iOS on that just for the iTunes store and automatic downloading of purchased music.

iOS?? What would happen with the click wheel then? :eek: is it only the storage space that people like about the iPod classic?

Rawkfist
Dec 26, 2011, 12:53 PM
iOS?? What would happen with the click wheel then? :eek: is it only the storage space that people like about the iPod classic?
For me it is. The Touch/iPhone is great for music as well but they just don't have enough storage. I use my retired iPhone for Pandora and MOG. My 120gb Classic is brim full of mostly hi-res rips. My iTunes is 330gb plus so it's a sure bet we'll never see anything that big in an iPod. An upgrade to a 220 or 240 would be cool but not given that option I will purchase a 160 before they go away forever.

lovish
Dec 26, 2011, 01:43 PM
Classic is classic... this question is like... can new christmas songs beat white christmas... :P

Love is eternal - Albus dumbledore

alvanorichie
Dec 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
I used in cars, and my nephew always want to play with ipod classic :)