Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I have Navigon North America plus traffic addon but I feel like I never really notice it accounting for traffic. For example there's an accident and traffic is very slow on a major highway here, but Navigon still wants me to take that highway and estimates the time to destination as if there was no traffic. Waze, on the other hand, gives me an alternate route and more realistic time estimates given the traffic.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I didn't realize there were settings for enabling or disabling it.

The only relevant option that I saw in settings was the one for "do you want to send anonymized location/speed details to help us optimize traffic routing for other people?" which I selected "no" for.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Tap setting then traffic messages! Turn it on. Simples

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh and route optimisation should be set to auto if u want it to just reroute you accordingly!

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I just checked "Traffic Messages," and I do have it set to:

TrafficCheck = On
Route Optimization = Automatic
Read out traffic information = Yes

@Gav2k: Have you noticed your Navigon actively routing you away from any highways with heavy traffic in favor of local routes that may be faster?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
What do you click on to tell navigon there's a detour on your route and to plot a new route around it?

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
What do you click on to tell navigon there's a detour on your route and to plot a new route around it?

Navigon works fine for that, I think I can set a "break point" or "block point" or something.

But if it was really getting traffic info, then shouldn't it know, automatically, not to route me onto a standstill on the highway?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Only if it's receiving traffic info in a timely fashion. Not all traffic data sources are instantaneous.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Only if it's receiving traffic info in a timely fashion. Not all traffic data sources are instantaneous.

Are you saying that Navigon does not look up the traffic information when routing, and rather polls for traffic information later on (e.g., every 5 minutes) to adjust your route?

That seems like it would make Navigon less useful than Waze (which considers traffic when planning the initial routes), because you'll often have wasted time driving towards the traffic jam before it realizes there's traffic, or sometimes you'll even already be stuck in traffic by the time it realizes there's traffic.

iToNe24

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2011
NY
Sale

Navigon traffic is on-sale from 19.99 to 13.99 for those that don't have yet.

i am not sure why there isn't an exit button on navigon to close out completely .. there is an exit to stop navigation but not to close application so GPS stops running in background. u have to go to task manager and close completely ... annoying

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
There is also an iPhone setting that might cause problems. From the Navigon FAQ:

iPhone: Traffic Live does not work

Answer:
If you have any problems with Traffic Live, please check the following settings of your iPhone:

1. Check the data roaming settings: Go to "Settings" - "General" -
"Network" - "Data Roaming". This option must be enabled.

2. Check the cellular data settings: Go to "Settings" - "General" -
"Network" - "Cellular Data". This option must be enabled.

My 4S has the Data Roaming turned Off by default, so I would check this setting as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.