PDA

View Full Version : Selling 11" to upgrade to 13"

adamtj11
Dec 9, 2011, 06:29 PM
So my plan over christmas(while I'm not needing to be portable and can use my desktop setup) is to sell the 11" MBA I have(base 2011) and upgrade to the 13" model, primarily for the extra space(64 vs 128) and the extra screen size would be nice, not a urgent upgrade needed as the 11" resolution is nice but for programming the 13" would be sweet.

I'm looking to get at least 800 back on this Air, and add the 300 euro or so to get the 13" , just an opinion if I'm wasting my time? Ram isn't really an issue as I've yet to experience a slow down on this MBA , but the screen size, battery life and extra drive space would be beneficial.

Can anyone who has the 13" recommend the switch to that model, or anyone who has had both explain if it is a good idea?

Christopher387A
Dec 9, 2011, 06:38 PM
I wish you were in the US. I'm looking to switch from the 13" to the 11". :p

ShiftClick
Dec 9, 2011, 06:40 PM

Wish you were in SoCal I'm looking to move up from a 11 to an ultimate 13

adamtj11
Dec 9, 2011, 07:00 PM

Somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic would work half way between Ireland and the east coast. ;)

2IS
Dec 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Can anyone who has the 13" recommend the switch to that model, or anyone who has had both explain if it is a good idea?

This is really a personal preference question here. I've used both and own a 13" the 11" certainly has more of a cool factor but IMO for practical use it's only better than the 13" for environments like an airplane where space is at an absolute premium.

palpatine
Dec 10, 2011, 12:11 AM
So my plan over christmas(while I'm not needing to be portable and can use my desktop setup) is to sell the 11" MBA I have(base 2011) and upgrade to the 13" model, primarily for the extra space(64 vs 128) and the extra screen size would be nice, not a urgent upgrade needed as the 11" resolution is nice but for programming the 13" would be sweet.

I'm looking to get at least 800 back on this Air, and add the 300 euro or so to get the 13" , just an opinion if I'm wasting my time? Ram isn't really an issue as I've yet to experience a slow down on this MBA , but the screen size, battery life and extra drive space would be beneficial.

800 back on an mba that sold for 850 on black friday? maybe. but, not from me!

it seems like a waste of money to me, but it depends on your use. the 13" is great, but you'll lose money in the process, so why not wait for the refresh this summer?

vitzr
Dec 10, 2011, 12:14 AM
I have them both. For any use, including international flights, I greatly prefer my 13".

The drawbacks to the smaller one is the cramped keyboard, the excessive scrolling required due to the 11" display, and the relatively little difference in footprint.

My wife is very petite, has tiny hands, so I gave the 11" to her. She likes the keyboard but finds the scrolling required, very tedious.

That's my experience with them.

KylePowers
Dec 10, 2011, 12:51 AM
I was under the impression that the 13" and 11" had the same sized keyboard? Aside from the function keys being slightly smaller. That's why there's a giant bezel on the 11". No?

2IS
Dec 10, 2011, 01:03 AM
I was under the impression that the 13" and 11" had the same sized keyboard? Aside from the function keys being slightly smaller. That's why there's a giant bezel on the 11". No?

You're correct, Im not sure what vitzr is tailing about in terms of the "cramped" keyboard, in which case they would both be cramped or he uses the function keys a LOT.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/mac/macbookair2011/DSC_4261.jpg

s1ns
Dec 10, 2011, 01:34 AM
i moved up from the 11" ultimate 2010 to ultimate 13" 2010 last year. I haven't looked back since then. Although in my opinion viewing angle is better in the 11" (personal preference) if you are into photo editing and that sort of things you might want to take that factor into account and if you are using it on the couch or while lying down on the bed for browsing etc 11" does better job (personal preference). I work a lot with excel/word documents and i play light gaming so 13" is the way to go. Sometimes I do miss its size and its convenient therefore i am getting the iPad 3 once its out. The best of both world :D

adamtj11
Dec 10, 2011, 07:23 AM
800 back on an mba that sold for 850 on black friday? maybe. but, not from me!

it seems like a waste of money to me, but it depends on your use. the 13" is great, but you'll lose money in the process, so why not wait for the refresh this summer?

Maybe in the US , but not in Ireland/Europe.