Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blake1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Hi,

I know that there are a bunch of posts on this subject already. I have ready many of them and I still can't figure out what it is I need. I have tried several things with no success. There seems to be many variations so I thought I would post specifically what mine is.

I have TurtleBeach X41 headset. If possible, I would like to use them for surround sound on my 2011 27" iMac. For games specifically. I have gotten surround sound for other things, but not games. Even more specific for Battlefield 3. I have the toslink adapter so i can run the optical out to my X41 headset. I can even "test" the 5.1 surround sound in windows and it works, but when i boot up Battlefield 3, I can only select stero options. I have read some things about Dolby Digital Live, AC3 Fitlers, but everyone had different configurations on there iMacs. Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts. Is it even possible what I am trying to do? I really appreciate the help. I can provide any other information as needed, just ask me. Thanks!

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Hi-Fi is usually the setting you'll want to have on battlefield anyways, I've personally found it the most accurate.

Usually those gaming headsets take the signal and process it to have a faux-surround sound for the headset itself, usually through Dolby Headphone. If you're somehow able to turn on and off that processing on whatever proprietary amp/receiver the headset has, and notice a difference, then it should be working as advertised.

Blake1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
What is faux-surround sound? Shouldn't there be a surround sound option in battlefield 3 though? My head set does have a type of receive that indicates when it is receiving a Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound signal and when I'm running battlefield it does not receive that signal. Just sounds like stereo to me.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Well headphones are stereo, and will always stay stereo. Some use multiple, smaller drivers on either ear, but it's still basically stereo because either way you have drivers right on top of either ear, and there's no air for the sound to work with in between either cup, as they're closed off.

Dolby headphone or whatever proprietary surround decoders the headsets use take a native 5.1 signal and process it in such a way that it sounds like a natural surround sound.

I can't personally talk for Battlefield on the pc, but I get a 5.1 feed on the console when I even have things like hi-fi selected. I've personally tried to tell the difference between hi-fi and theater or other presets on battlefield and couldn't tell much of a difference when it came to sound positioning.

If what you say is true that you're able to get 5.1 while testing in windows, but can't in the games, it sounds like maybe there's a driver problem with the way the headset accepts game audio.

Blake1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
TMRaven, Thanks for the information. This is helpful. Unfortunately there are so many variables with the equipment i am using (iMac on bootcamp, my head set etc) that is is hard for me to pin point what exactly it is. Ive read a lot about the need for the motherboard or sound card of the computer to support Dolby Digital live, which so far I have not discovered if iMacs do. But I am guessing they don't anyway, it has gotten complicated enough that I now think I will just see if anyone is using a surround sound headset playing Battlefield 3 (and other games) that works for them on a iMac. I was hopping to use my current Turtlebeach headset but there are so many variables I am just confused. Thank you for this information though. There are a few more things That I will try first. If anyone else has some thoughts, please let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.