PDA

View Full Version : RadioShack Offering $30 Off AT&T iPhone 4S and 4 Next Week

MacRumors
Dec 10, 2011, 12:58 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/10/radioshack-offering-30-off-att-iphone-4s-and-4-next-week/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/radioshack_dec2011_iphone_sale1.png

RadioShack today informed MacRumors that it will be launching a $30 discount program for AT&T iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 models on Sunday, bringing pricing down to $69.99/$169.99/$269.99/$369.99 after the instant savings. The sale will run through Saturday, December 17th.

In addition, trade-in credits of up to $200 for customers' used iPhones can bring the price down even further and in some cases leave users with additional store credit to spend.Starting Sunday, Dec. 11, customers in the market for AT&T's iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S can get a great deal when they take advantage of RadioShack's $30 instant savings paired with the company's Trade & Save program, which will guarantee $100 to as much as $200 off when they trade in their eligible iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4. Furthermore, those who need a little more memory and wish to purchase an iPhone 4S (32/64GB) may pay as little as $69.99 for the iconic device with a qualifying 2-year plan/data pack and eligible trade-in.As usual, the prices require a 2-year contract, activation fee and potential early termination fees related to existing contracts. The maximum $200 trade-in is awarded for fully-functional, "cosmetically excellent" iPhone 4 units in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities when the charger is included with the trade-in.

RadioShack also offers AppleCare+ (http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html) as an optional add-on at the time of purchase.

Article Link: RadioShack Offering $30 Off AT&T iPhone 4S and 4 Next Week (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/10/radioshack-offering-30-off-att-iphone-4s-and-4-next-week/)

OriginalMacRat
Dec 10, 2011, 01:36 AM
the prices require a 2-year contract, activation fee and potential early termination fees related to existing contracts.

Wow, that's some deal all right. :mad:

cameronjpu
Dec 10, 2011, 02:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

"The maximum $200 trade-in is awarded for fully-functional, "cosmetically excellent" iPhone 4 units in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities when the charger is included with the trade-in."

Which can be sold for $400 on the Craigslist in 10 minutes.

DerekTS
Dec 10, 2011, 02:00 AM
Wow, that's some deal all right. :mad:

All iPhone 4 and 4S require a contract unless they are unlocked. :rolleyes:

CheesePuff
Dec 10, 2011, 10:41 AM
All iPhone 4 and 4S require a contract unless they are unlocked. :rolleyes:

in the US

Surely
Dec 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
in the US

Really? Where else can you buy a discounted ($99/199/299/399) brand new iPhone 4/4S without a contract?

Vudoo
Dec 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

"The maximum $200 trade-in is awarded for fully-functional, "cosmetically excellent" iPhone 4 units in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities when the charger is included with the trade-in."

Which can be sold for $400 on the Craigslist in 10 minutes.

Although I agree that the $200 trade-in offer isn't much, the notion of getting twice the price in 10 minutes is not realistic. I've had a 32 GB listed for $400 a few days and it's looking like the $300 price point is more realistic for a 32 GB. A 16 GB is even less.

CheesePuff
Dec 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
Really? Where else can you buy a discounted ($99/199/299/399) brand new iPhone 4/4S without a contract?

all he said was all iPhones require a contract, didn't say subsidized price as well...

Surely
Dec 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
all he said was all iPhones require a contract, didn't say subsidized price as well...

We both know what he meant.

CheesePuff
Dec 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
We both know what he meant.

don't assume

mikeb13
Dec 10, 2011, 01:46 PM
Not meant to hijack this thread, but starting tomorrow Target will have the 16gb 4S on sale for $175. I much rather shop at Target than Radio Shack.

CocoaPuffs
Dec 10, 2011, 01:49 PM
Not meant to hijack this thread, but starting tomorrow Target will have the 16gb 4S on sale for $175. I much rather shop at Target than Radio Shack.

Who cares? You're not looking for service outside of checkout.

blevins321
Dec 10, 2011, 01:50 PM

Don't forget Target's additional 5% when using their store card. I have one, and whenever I buy something I use their card then do the payment right afterwards at the customer service desk.

eddiexhart
Dec 10, 2011, 04:26 PM
So say I have up until the 14th to return my iPhone 4S at the Apple Store for no restocking fee. How long does it usually take for AT&T to restore back the upgrade eligibility? Cuz I'd like to take this Radioshack offer and get a 32GB!

JayLenochiniMac
Dec 10, 2011, 04:27 PM
Although I agree that the $200 trade-in offer isn't much, the notion of getting twice the price in 10 minutes is not realistic. I've had a 32 GB listed for $400 a few days and it's looking like the $300 price point is more realistic for a 32 GB. A 16 GB is even less.

Agreed; however, you can easily get $400 if you jailbreak and unlock first. Just don't do the trade-in and sell instead on CL or ebay jailbroken and unlocked (assuming you didn't update to the latest baseband).

abulloch
Dec 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
That price column is extremely misleading. Those are the AT&T prices for the few customers to whom they will offer a *full* 'discount' upgrade - in practice AT&T is offering almost no-one a full discount (why should they? iPhones are always blockbusters, right? easy profits....). Most of us will be paying at least $200 to $300 more, on top of those $199, $299 etc. figures.

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/10/radioshack-offering-30-off-att-iphone-4s-and-4-next-week/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/radioshack_dec2011_iphone_sale1.png)

RadioShack today informed MacRumors that it will be launching a $30 discount program for AT&T iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 models on Sunday, bringing pricing down to $69.99/$169.99/$269.99/$369.99 after the instant savings. The sale will run through Saturday, December 17th.

In addition, trade-in credits of up to $200 for customers' used iPhones can bring the price down even further and in some cases leave users with additional store credit to spend.As usual, the prices require a 2-year contract, activation fee and potential early termination fees related to existing contracts. The maximum $200 trade-in is awarded for fully-functional, "cosmetically excellent" iPhone 4 units in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities when the charger is included with the trade-in.

RadioShack also offers AppleCare+ (http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html) as an optional add-on at the time of purchase.

Article Link: RadioShack Offering $30 Off AT&T iPhone 4S and 4 Next Week (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/10/radioshack-offering-30-off-att-iphone-4s-and-4-next-week/)

justjohn025
Dec 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
That price column is extremely misleading. Those are the AT&T prices for the few customers to whom they will offer a *full* 'discount' upgrade - in practice AT&T is offering almost no-one a full discount (why should they? iPhones are always blockbusters, right? easy profits....). Most of us will be paying at least $200 to $300 more, on top of those $199, $299 etc. figures.

So who will they offer a full discount to?

Btrthnezr3
Dec 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What are you talking about? If you're up for an upgrade, you pay AT&T $199 for a 16gb iPhone 4s. That is available to everyone who is eligible. I'm eligible every year, the other two members of my family plan, every 18 months.

Cruzer442
Dec 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
First you have to be eligible of the discount price from ATT then you can take advantage of the RS discounts. I kinda assumed that.

And a new customer would get the discount because they're gonna sign a new contract.

You only can't get the discount if you are in no man's land in your ATT contract. But you probably know that. So I wouldn't call it misleading.

charliex5
Dec 10, 2011, 11:39 PM
This is awesome! My contract is up on the 14th and my wife and I were thinking of getting a couple iPhone 4's. Perfect timing!

derickdub
Dec 11, 2011, 02:50 AM

Depends on where you live. I've sold 3 3GS on CL, all for $150-$250 depending on the condition.

After I got my 4S I sold my locked, unjailbroken 16GB 3GS for $250 within 12 hours of posting my add. It helped that it was in perfect condition and only a few months old, but iPhones sell well on CL here.

Vudoo
Dec 11, 2011, 10:32 AM
Depends on where you live. I've sold 3 3GS on CL, all for $150-$250 depending on the condition.

After I got my 4S I sold my locked, unjailbroken 16GB 3GS for $250 within 12 hours of posting my add. It helped that it was in perfect condition and only a few months old, but iPhones sell well on CL here.

When I got my iPhone 4 last year, I sold my 16 GB 3G for $250 on CL without being unlocked or jail broken. I just got my 4s last week and sold my mint 32 GB iPhone 4 for $300 yesterday as is since it was on the latest OS and baseband. That is the average price they are currently going for on eBay and on here. I did see unlocked and jail broken 32 GB 4 going for over $400 on eBay. On the Dallas CL, I'm see the same ads being renewed often which gives me the indication that they are not selling at the higher price.

summitRun
Dec 11, 2011, 02:35 PM

Not sure how this works but those Kiosks in Target are owned by Radio Shack...I think they are called Bullseye Moble. If what you are saying is true and you could weasel out of the Activation fee (usually pretty easy to schmooz a CSR) that would put the phone at $166.25 w/the TargetCard. Dont recall ever seeing an iPhone base model that cheap.

When I was in Target last week the rep had zero in stock and had only seen two since launch. I'm guessing you're going to be waiting a bit on these...

hockeypuck9399
Dec 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
Not meant to hijack this thread, but starting tomorrow Target will have the 16gb 4S on sale for $175. I much rather shop at Target than Radio Shack.If you buy the phone at Target you are purchasing it from RadioShack as they own the kiosks in Target.

Vikz
Dec 11, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

They are not doing it in PR even though Radio Shack stores are nationwide... I wanted to jump to a 4s with this for the price but il just wait until my 3GS is obsolete to move to another iPhone in the future for the regular price

mikesn5va
Dec 11, 2011, 05:14 PM
My local Radio Shack had one iPhone 4 in stock and was not even aware of the $30 "sale"; they did offer me $175 for my mint condition iPhone 4-black-16G. Went over to the local Target and they do not sell the iPhone! Next, over to AT&T store and they offered $205 for my phone but had no 4S-black-16G in stock. I quit!:(

charliex5
Dec 11, 2011, 05:22 PM
Urgh. Just went in and they had no idea what I was talking about.

"I read online you guys were selling the iPhone for $30 off."
"Um, not that I know off. Let me check on our website. Where did you read this?"
"Mac Rumors..."

I felt like a freaking idiot. Thanks a lot macrumors!

I guess that's why they call it Mac Rumors...

MacConvert07
Dec 11, 2011, 07:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Took advantage of the deal today. RadioShack gave me $175 for my wife's iPhone 4 in perfect condition with charger and box and then the iPhone 4s for $169. All I had to do was pay tax. Also bought the apple care.

geenosr
Dec 11, 2011, 08:58 PM
I called 4 "The Shack" stores today after reading the story on macrumors, and all 4 gave me different answers to "Do you know about the $30.00 off iPhone 4 and 4S? The answers I got ranged from "no" to "they're only for refurb phones" to "only iPhone 4 models". So I tried one more store and they had 1 iPhone 4S in stock and they actually knew about the discount. So I took my wife's 3GS 16 gig beat up phone and off I went. When I got there, the salesman was nice, but had not actually done many (if any) iPhone sales/activations. So it took a while, but after the discount/upgrade eligible/trade in numbers were crunched, I walked out with a new iPhone 4S white 16 gig for less than $85.00. What blew me away was they gave me a $100.00 trade in fee for a well used phone. I was not expecting that much, but I didn't argue at all. I'm sure I could have sold it for more on ebay or cl, but I sacrificed a few dollars for getting it done today, and didn't have to fool with listing it, taking pics of it, shipping it, waiting for paypay, etc.. I have sold my previous iPhones on ebay and made enough $$ to have a 'free' upgrade, but this time it was worth it to make it happen in one afternoon.

Thanks MacRumors! I check your site at least 3-4 times a day and I usually come away with knowledge and today I came away with knowledge, a good price and a new phone for my wife.

geenosr :cool:

charliex5
Dec 11, 2011, 09:04 PM
I called 4 "The Shack" stores today after reading the story on macrumors, and all 4 gave me different answers to "Do you know about the $30.00 off iPhone 4 and 4S? The answers I got ranged from "no" to "they're only for refurb phones" to "only iPhone 4 models". So I tried one more store and they had 1 iPhone 4S in stock and they actually knew about the discount. So I took my wife's 3GS 16 gig beat up phone and off I went. When I got there, the salesman was nice, but had not actually done many (if any) iPhone sales/activations. So it took a while, but after the discount/upgrade eligible/trade in numbers were crunched, I walked out with a new iPhone 4S white 16 gig for less than $85.00. What blew me away was they gave me a $100.00 trade in fee for a well used phone. I was not expecting that much, but I didn't argue at all. I'm sure I could have sold it for more on ebay or cl, but I sacrificed a few dollars for getting it done today, and didn't have to fool with listing it, taking pics of it, shipping it, waiting for paypay, etc.. I have sold my previous iPhones on ebay and made enough $$ to have a 'free' upgrade, but this time it was worth it to make it happen in one afternoon.

Thanks MacRumors! I check your site at least 3-4 times a day and I usually come away with knowledge and today I came away with knowledge, a good price and a new phone for my wife.

geenosr :cool:

This is why I typically avoid Radio Shack like the plague. I'm in the market for 2 iPhones and would love to save $60. The only Shack near me is just useless. :(

geenosr
Dec 11, 2011, 09:58 PM
This is why I typically avoid Radio Shack like the plague. I'm in the market for 2 iPhones and would love to save $60. The only Shack near me is just useless. :(

I never would have gone unless it was going to be a 1-stop shop, and the salesman told me he would hold the only iPhone they had in stock until I got there.

charliex5
Dec 12, 2011, 01:18 PM
So I called about 6 Radio Shacks today and figured out that franchise stores are the ones not doing the deal. The corporate stores on the other hand seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

Seems I'll be making a slight road trip! It's only an hour and a half away and I think its worth it to save $60 and get out of my small town for an afternoon!

PracticalMac
Dec 12, 2011, 01:29 PM
Any signup fees?

charliex5
Dec 12, 2011, 01:36 PM
There is an $18 activation fee per line.

dfnj123
Dec 12, 2011, 07:16 PM
There is an $18 activation fee per line.

That's only for AT&T... Verizon has no upgrade fees and Sprint has a $36 upgrade fee...

JonAvalon
Dec 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
Perfect timing, was hoping for a deal for the 4s. Will def get mine now :D

homeward
Dec 13, 2011, 07:50 AM
Two Radio Shack stores didn't know what I was talking about. The third one did. They said it was an unadvertised special. The $36 per phone activation fee for ATT was waived if I bought 4 screen protectors, which I did. Phones were $169. There was some difficulty putting the order through, so they gave me a 10% reduction in the monthly $69.99 2-line base fee for the duration of the 2-year contract. $100 per phone for Apple Care. - seems to cover everything. Even accidental damage such as water damage is covered (but with a $49 deductible); phone company plans don't cover water damage at all. I will have 3 happy kids on Christmas morning. (2 College Kids and a high schooler, in case you're wondering).

KindredMAC
Dec 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Got mine in Watertown, NY!

The staff there were awesome and extremely knowledgable!
They didn't have any in stock but we went through everything, paid and it is being shipped to my house tomorrow!!!!

Only one down side is that since it is a Christmas gift for my wife, we have to take it in on the 26th to activate it. BUT WHO FRICKIN CARES?!?!?!? I GOT IT FOR $169!!!!

charliex5
Dec 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
Well, I drove up to Spokane today and got the deal. The staff was very nice and helpful. A first for my Radio Shack experiences. The only downside was that my wife's phone had apparently been used before as she stumbled upon some tasteless nudie picks of a very unattractive person. Ugh. I'm still shuddering just to think of them. :)

Surely
Dec 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
Target is offering $25 off a 4 or 4S.

mackandproud
Dec 18, 2011, 05:08 AM
This is completely unacceptable: they are advertising the discount for NEW phones.

PS: If you keep it, you might want to use some sanitizer wipes on that phone. Nasty.

Well, I drove up to Spokane today and got the deal. The staff was very nice and helpful. A first for my Radio Shack experiences. The only downside was that my wife's phone had apparently been used before as she stumbled upon some tasteless nudie picks of a very unattractive person. Ugh. I'm still shuddering just to think of them. :)

mingoglia
Dec 18, 2011, 08:12 AM
Picked up a 4S for the wife last night with just an hour to spare. I have to give them some props. The store I went to didn't carry iphones at all, but he checked the system and looked for one in his district. He found a couple (according to the system), but called the stores and they were out (unless the store managers were lying to hang on to them). He then started looking at out of district Radio Shacks. He found one 40 miles away at another store.

They have to ring up the phone by the deadline in order to get the discount. He got the other manager (out of district I might add) to "transfer" the phone to his store and he read the appropriate numbers off the phone over the phone so he could enter all of it into the system to check me out. He then said he would drive to that store on his way in the next day to pick it up for me...

I was really happy with the overall experience. For several years now I'm amazed that Radio Shack can keep the doors open due to not really knowing anyone that buys much from them anymore. They definitely need to try to put the customer service hat on to stand out, and it looks like this store has.

Let's just hope I get a new one and not a "used" one with pornographic pictures like a previous poster. ;)

Mike