PDA

View Full Version : Windows Standard Embedded 7 in Boot Camp?

brinermo
Dec 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hey so there is just a game (Tribes Ascend, yessssss!) and a program or two that I need windows for, but I don't want to shell out a hundred bucks for a copy of windows 7.

I got a free student download of Windows Standard Embedded 7 from DreamSpark, but I have no clue what that is, all it says is its Windows 7 in a componentized form. I see the disk mounted on my comp now (running Snow Leopard btw, upgrading to Lion soon) and it's 3.08 GB, no clue what to do with the file either.

Will that work to set up boot camp and use that as my copy of windows? will I even be able to play the game and run other programs?? I hope someone out there can help me!

brinermo
Dec 11, 2011, 06:29 PM
:bump:

johnhurley
Dec 11, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hey so there is just a game (Tribes Ascend, yessssss!) and a program or two that I need windows for, but I don't want to shell out a hundred bucks for a copy of windows 7.

I got a free student download of Windows Standard Embedded 7 from DreamSpark, but I have no clue what that is, all it says is its Windows 7 in a componentized form. I see the disk mounted on my comp now (running Snow Leopard btw, upgrading to Lion soon) and it's 3.08 GB, no clue what to do with the file either.

Will that work to set up boot camp and use that as my copy of windows? will I even be able to play the game and run other programs?? I hope someone out there can help me!

To install windows 7 in bootcamp you need to run the windows installer.

I would do some searching in google for windows standard embedded and see if you can find out how/if you can use it to run the windows installer program. Basically at some point in time you are going to need a windows 7 license ... do you have that with what you have now?