PDA

View Full Version : "Beamer" App - anyone seen this yet?

Chiefo
Dec 11, 2011, 01:45 AM
I downloaded the "trial" version and it works amazingly well. Has anyone tried this out yet? If so - opinions?

http://beamer-app.com/

Chiefo
Dec 11, 2011, 12:20 PM
455 views and no one has an opinion?!

It worked really well as a trial...but the checkout page looked a little fishy. I was wondering if someone could weigh in about whether they thought it was a scam or not.

wrinkster22
Dec 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
That looks pretty cool... like airplay for mac!

weemanpow3
Dec 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
Just gave it a try. 720p mkv video. The quality is not great. It uses the computer to convert and stream at the same time.

warvanov
Dec 11, 2011, 01:52 PM
What looks "fishy" about the checkout site? Just pay with PayPal if you're concerned. If the software works then they'll probably just be sending you a code to unlock the trial version once they receive payment.

ageorgios
Apr 1, 2012, 04:26 AM
the app looks promising, but there are no updates to functionality for long time (a.k.a subtitles not working)

PsychicAnomaly
May 8, 2012, 09:59 AM
IMHO this App is fundamentally Awesome and handily solves a major frustration in establishing an elegant Apple based media center on a home network (i.e. the inability to play most formats of digital video media).

In my setup I have an old MacBook Pro Core 2 duo with a 750 GB HDD running OSX 10.7 connected with a LAN cable to a Time Capsule (equally Airport Extreme or other Wifi router) A Mac Mini would be superior but this machine was spare following the purchase of a top of the line MBP. On this machine I have set Beamer as the default app for .AVI and .MKV and set up the free Team Viewer app (from the App Store) on this machine and the iPhone 4.

Now all I have to do is hit the Team Viewer App on the iPhone (from anywhere on the LAN or internet), pick the movie file i want to display and double click it - now it's on TV in superb quality via my Apple TV 3, voila c'est manifique! Better yet, once the movie is loaded on the Apple TV, the Apple remote works to pause/resume, FF and RW so no clumsy messing with gadgets interferes with the enjoyment of home cinema.

No jailbreak required (even were it available for the Apple TV 3 which it isn't at the time of writing) and no more hours of tedious re-encoding and moving of GBs of data just to get a video you already have into iTunes.

This is one of the few pieces of software I have ever come across where I would have actively sought out a way to financially contribute to the developer even if it was free. At EUR 7 or equivalent to license all of my machines it is super value and purchase was simple, with license key delivered instantly by link and email.

I can easily imagine this Beamer App is not on the App store because it is too useful in terms of sidestepping frustrating limitations imposed by Apple (and hence clearly off Apple's roadmap). I would say: grab it quick before the developers get hired by Apple and the whole thing disappears.

In the mean time I am excited to see what these guys do to build on this platform in terms of surround sound and subtitles.

5* superb.

DocNYz
May 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
This concept is great, please let me know if someone that has purchased this has gotten subtitles to work because most mkv files I have are foreign films for which I really need to have them working and timed right, etc.

heisenberg123
May 8, 2012, 10:16 AM
id rather just convert files to MP4 and hve them in my itunes library

biggitoker
Aug 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
I purchased the app. It works fine on "normal" files, but when an mkv file goes over a certain size, it will randomly lag. Sometimes it works fine for 16-120 minutes (in HD) but other times it will lag every 20 seconds or so.

Other than that, a fine application for your normal wear and tear .avi downloads when I cba to convert/add to iTunes library. 3.5/5 stars

Beachguy
Aug 30, 2012, 09:58 AM
I think I'll stick with VLC and airplay. I don't see an advantage to this.

RealEyes
Oct 13, 2012, 05:01 PM

VLC and Airplay to my Apple TV has been lagging so bad!

RealEyes
Oct 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
Been using Beamer for a couple days now and it's so much better than AirPlaying movies to my Apple TV. For me, it's exactly what I wanted AirPlay to be, and more!

With this app, I can put the screensaver on my display or turn the display off while watching a movie. With AirPlay, I couldn't do that. This app is pretty cool. Works great.

testeri
Oct 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
I bought ATV3 so I could watch movies wirelessly from my iMac. Well that didn't work because mirroring results in jerky/jittery play, making the movie watching experience intolerable.

So I tried Beamer. As somebody said, it works just as mirroring SHOULD work. No frames skipped. As for encoding, I can't see any difference in quality. I don't think it does any...

Mr.Bullitt
Nov 19, 2012, 03:02 AM
Depeding where I look - some places say Beamer only support stereo, other places says it supports surround - but both DTS and DD????

How is this app different than say PS3 Media Server?

cfcboy
Nov 19, 2012, 05:25 AM
Just get AirVideo, it kicks the sh/t out of this. Plays any movie file instantly.. converts on the fly to instant play, can even do it remote. Been using it all weekend and its the best app ive got to accompany ATV3. Do it..

Mr.Bullitt
Nov 19, 2012, 06:05 AM
Just get AirVideo, it kicks the sh/t out of this. Plays any movie file instantly.. converts on the fly to instant play, can even do it remote. Been using it all weekend and its the best app ive got to accompany ATV3. Do it..

Hmm. Does it work with my July 2009 MBP? I just found out that Apple's own desktop mirroring does not work with it :-(

I would also need support for Dolby Digital - DTS not required, but nice to have.

The site does not seem to claim that it works with Apple TV - just iphone, ipad...

cfcboy
Nov 19, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hmm. Does it work with my July 2009 MBP? I just found out that Apple's own desktop mirroring does not work with it :-(

I would also need support for Dolby Digital - DTS not required, but nice to have.

The site does not seem to claim that it works with Apple TV - just iphone, ipad...

Ive got my APTV hooked up to my sound system via optical and it seems to playing DD though need to check that when i get home.

It works perfect with apple tv, I can put some screen vidcaps if you like?
All you do is play the video and click the airplay icon on the screen, cant get more simpler

Mr.Bullitt
Nov 19, 2012, 07:32 AM
Ive got my APTV hooked up to my sound system via optical and it seems to playing DD though need to check that when i get home.

It works perfect with apple tv, I can put some screen vidcaps if you like?
All you do is play the video and click the airplay icon on the screen, cant get more simpler

That would be great - maybe also some screenshots of the app settings - I have PS3 media server and it have tons of settings to customize - I just wish that there was some official support for Apple Tv - seems a lot of other units are supported though :-(

JGRE
Nov 24, 2012, 05:07 PM
Bought it this week after trying the demo and must say that I was impressed with the ease of use, the video quality but less with the audio. One big MKV file wouldn't run, the rest were fine. Today updated to version 1.51, but haven't tried it. If they fix the audio to run codecs like DD 5.1 and DTS there is no need to jail break the ATV as far as I can see now. The only draw back is that it does't have library to store you files in, it has a simple drop box. On the other hand, this simplicity is also the charm.

----------

For the movies you would like to see more often, I agree, but for one time view movies this is great (better) solution.

mic j
Nov 25, 2012, 10:21 AM
Well, I was skeptical, after trying out AirParrot, which was a totally worthless due to the lack of smooth video. So after so many posts about Beamer, I just had to give it a go. Unfortunately, it was marginally ok. Works fine, wirelessly for mkv's made from dvd (small 3-4GB file size and low nitrate) but continually buffered on mkv's from BR (30-40GB file size and high nitrate). When it does play, the video appeared to be smooth but the continual buffering makes it unusable. It also does not broadcast DD 5.1, only PCM stereo. Wired connections would probably help things out, but might as well use VLC if your wiring you aTV/computer/router all together.

It is usable if you are watching mkv's made from dvd's and sound is through the tv not an AVR. So there is a niche for it.

balcis
Dec 6, 2012, 08:17 AM
this is the only missing part for me under windows to buy an apple tv. i don't want to use air video via my ipad or iphone and consume their power for this while also my pc is converting videos. hope similar software comes for windows, too.

PaulKemp
Jan 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
Works wery well with smaller files. I had some issues with my biggest movie, that's around 12 gbs. Other than that I'm really happy, beats airplay mirroring! No frames skipped.

I'm using only wireless though. So could be better with cabled network

Skoopman
Jan 21, 2013, 05:11 AM
Beamer doesn't mirror the video, it just uses AirPlay to stream audio and video, clever little app, I use it, too.

Richdmoore
Jan 21, 2013, 07:55 AM
App works well on my 2011 iMac.

I use handbrake to convert my blurays and dvd's, and import into iTunes for permanent storage.

I use Beemer for those Avi and MKv videos that I receive that I just want to watch once and delete.

Ace1024
Jan 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
how is this any different to airflick?http://macupdate.com/app/mac/36512/airflick

It's been doing mostly the same thing for a while now (besides streaming incompatible files). There's also another advantage... it's free.

ghostshadow
Feb 9, 2013, 07:08 PM
how is this any different to airflick?http://macupdate.com/app/mac/36512/airflick

It's been doing mostly the same thing for a while now (besides streaming incompatible files). There's also another advantage... it's free.

In my experience, Beamer has worked nearly flawlessly. Unlike AirFlick. Erica hasn't kept Airflick up or improved it for several years. The FFMPEG that it uses is out of date, even freshly compiled 64bit ffmpeg doesn't improve anything. I rarely get Airflick to work well, it also seems to be a lot more taxing on the system than Beamer is too.

The only downside to Beamer is the price, it is a bit pricy for what you get, but it does do the job better than most other solutions thus far.

JGRE
Feb 10, 2013, 02:17 AM
the app looks promising, but there are no updates to functionality for long time (a.k.a subtitles not working)

That is incorrect, they updated from 1.5.2 to 1.5.3 and just at the and of January to 1.5.4. Next to this they released 1.6 beta with surround sound support. I have no problem adding a SRT subtitle file to the movie, works fine for me.

----------

In my experience, Beamer has worked nearly flawlessly. Unlike AirFlick. Erica hasn't kept Airflick up or improved it for several years. The FFMPEG that it uses is out of date, even freshly compiled 64bit ffmpeg doesn't improve anything. I rarely get Airflick to work well, it also seems to be a lot more taxing on the system than Beamer is too.

The only downside to Beamer is the price, it is a bit pricy for what you get, but it does do the job better than most other solutions thus far.

Pricy? Really, it cost USD 15........

----------

Well, I was skeptical, after trying out AirParrot, which was a totally worthless due to the lack of smooth video. So after so many posts about Beamer, I just had to give it a go. Unfortunately, it was marginally ok. Works fine, wirelessly for mkv's made from dvd (small 3-4GB file size and low nitrate) but continually buffered on mkv's from BR (30-40GB file size and high nitrate). When it does play, the video appeared to be smooth but the continual buffering makes it unusable. It also does not broadcast DD 5.1, only PCM stereo. Wired connections would probably help things out, but might as well use VLC if your wiring you aTV/computer/router all together.

It is usable if you are watching mkv's made from dvd's and sound is through the tv not an AVR. So there is a niche for it.

Have you tried the 1.6 Beta with DD 5.1 support? It also runs much smoother, however it still has buffering issues with large files.

----------

IMHO this App is fundamentally Awesome and handily solves a major frustration in establishing an elegant Apple based media center on a home network (i.e. the inability to play most formats of digital video media).

In my setup I have an old MacBook Pro Core 2 duo with a 750 GB HDD running OSX 10.7 connected with a LAN cable to a Time Capsule (equally Airport Extreme or other Wifi router) A Mac Mini would be superior but this machine was spare following the purchase of a top of the line MBP. On this machine I have set Beamer as the default app for .AVI and .MKV and set up the free Team Viewer app (from the App Store) on this machine and the iPhone 4.

Now all I have to do is hit the Team Viewer App on the iPhone (from anywhere on the LAN or internet), pick the movie file i want to display and double click it - now it's on TV in superb quality via my Apple TV 3, voila c'est manifique! Better yet, once the movie is loaded on the Apple TV, the Apple remote works to pause/resume, FF and RW so no clumsy messing with gadgets interferes with the enjoyment of home cinema.

No jailbreak required (even were it available for the Apple TV 3 which it isn't at the time of writing) and no more hours of tedious re-encoding and moving of GBs of data just to get a video you already have into iTunes.

This is one of the few pieces of software I have ever come across where I would have actively sought out a way to financially contribute to the developer even if it was free. At EUR 7 or equivalent to license all of my machines it is super value and purchase was simple, with license key delivered instantly by link and email.

I can easily imagine this Beamer App is not on the App store because it is too useful in terms of sidestepping frustrating limitations imposed by Apple (and hence clearly off Apple's roadmap). I would say: grab it quick before the developers get hired by Apple and the whole thing disappears.

In the mean time I am excited to see what these guys do to build on this platform in terms of surround sound and subtitles.

5* superb.

Surround sound is available in the 1.6 Beta available on their website!

----------

This concept is great, please let me know if someone that has purchased this has gotten subtitles to work because most mkv files I have are foreign films for which I really need to have them working and timed right, etc.

Yes it works, just drop the SRT file into the Beamer app and voila!
The only downside with SRT files is synchronization, so I put forward a feature request to Beamer to make a time correction to the SRT file for synchronisation.

----------

Only for keepers, you really want to remux for ages just to find out that the movie sucks?

----------

VLC and Airplay to my Apple TV has been lagging so bad!

The picture quality of airplay is not meant to watch movies is a very low quality (less then 480p).

sundog925
Feb 22, 2013, 08:35 PM
LOVE beamer, the higher quality the movie, the higher quality it plays.
definitely money well spent!
way better than air parrot or any other crappy streaming app.

CaptTCS
Feb 22, 2013, 11:01 PM
I would rather just convert everything to M4V & add it to my iTunes library. Then I use ATV the way it was intended.

shadow puppet
Feb 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
FYI, for this weekend only, Beamer is on sale for just under $10.

From their twitter page:
"To celebrate the launch of Beamer 1.6, we’re giving a $5.1 “surround sound” discount. Only this weekend!"

Beamer app link (http://beamer-app.com)

Beamer store link (https://sites.fastspring.com/tupil/instant/beamer?coupon=SURROUND-RELEASE-PROMO)

I'm thinking I'm going to give this a go. I have an older MBP and the price is right.

blairh
Mar 10, 2013, 04:08 PM
Can somebody recommend a Beamer alternative? I simply cannot get this app to work properly with HD movie files. It always buffers usually after 30 seconds or a minute. SD movies are no issue but HD does not work for me. I have a 2011 MBA, ATV 3, latest OS on both and Beamer, I average 50 mbps down on my connection. It's the app. I need an alternative. I'm giving up on Beamer being able to play my HD movies. Thanks.

mic j
Mar 10, 2013, 04:27 PM
Can somebody recommend a Beamer alternative? I simply cannot get this app to work properly with HD movie files. It always buffers usually after 30 seconds or a minute. SD movies are no issue but HD does not work for me. I have a 2011 MBA, ATV 3, latest OS on both and Beamer, I average 50 mbps down on my connection. It's the app. I need an alternative. I'm giving up on Beamer being able to play my HD movies. Thanks.
I think your MBA is underpowered to do this "on-the-fly" transcoding, whether it be with beamer, airparrot, air video, etc. And it doesn't do Airplay, right? The beauty of the MB models that airplay is that they have a dedicated chip to do that, so your CPU is not impacted and the dedicated chip has enough horsepower to do it on its own. I personally don't think there is a software solution to this unless you have a fast multi-core processor and even then it could be iffy.

blairh
Mar 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
I think your MBA is underpowered to do this "on-the-fly" transcoding, whether it be with beamer, airparrot, air video, etc. And it doesn't do Airplay, right? The beauty of the MB models that airplay is that they have a dedicated chip to do that, so your CPU is not impacted and the dedicated chip has enough horsepower to do it on its own. I personally don't think there is a software solution to this unless you have a fast multi-core processor and even then it could be iffy.

AirPlay does work for me but not all my movies are compatible with what iTunes requires for formats. I'd rather watch my movie on my MBA then be bothered to reformat it to work within iTunes/AirPlay.

Maybe it is the MBA but I'm not so sure. I've read a lot of reviews for Beamer (official and comments on sites) and I don't recall that the MBA is an issue. You could of course be right though. I don't know. It's pretty frustrating. It has to be the file itself because my SD content is a non-issue with Beamer.

mic j
Mar 10, 2013, 09:49 PM
AirPlay does work for me but not all my movies are compatible with what iTunes requires for formats. I'd rather watch my movie on my MBA then be bothered to reformat it to work within iTunes/AirPlay.

Maybe it is the MBA but I'm not so sure. I've read a lot of reviews for Beamer (official and comments on sites) and I don't recall that the MBA is an issue. You could of course be right though. I don't know. It's pretty frustrating. It has to be the file itself because my SD content is a non-issue with Beamer.
If you have Airplay ability, how about using PLEX?

blairh
Mar 10, 2013, 11:45 PM
If you have Airplay ability, how about using PLEX?

AirPlay isn't a solution for me. Like I said before, most of my movies aren't formated to play through iTunes. Plus I don't like PLEX or anything like it. I just want to be able to fire up a movie on my MBA and stream it wirelessly to my ATV3. Beamer had the potential to be exactly what I was looking for but it fails me.

mashny
Mar 10, 2013, 11:47 PM
Anybody knows how this compares to Air Parrot? I have that and am pretty happy with it, but would consider switching if Beamer performs better.

spyguy10709
Mar 11, 2013, 06:07 AM
I downloaded the "trial" version and it works amazingly well. Has anyone tried this out yet? If so - opinions?

It's amazing, I love it. SO worth the $!!!

----------

Anybody knows how this compares to Air Parrot? I have that and am pretty happy with it, but would consider switching if Beamer performs better.

I thought air parrot worked well. This works 10 times better!

----------

AirPlay isn't a solution for me. Like I said before, most of my movies aren't formated to play through iTunes. Plus I don't like PLEX or anything like it. I just want to be able to fire up a movie on my MBA and stream it wirelessly to my ATV3. Beamer had the potential to be exactly what I was looking for but it fails me.
Maybe just get a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable?

I know it's not a real solution, but it works lol.

Beamer does choke on HD video on the ULV processors that's in the Macbook Air, but there's nothing you can do about that, other than reencode your movies to MP4/x264.

extradryny
Mar 11, 2013, 09:45 AM
FYI - there is a 15-minute free trial available now for Beamer.

I've had lots of issues with jerkiness (in Airplay Mirroring) and lagging (in conversion to MP4 via Handbrake), and Beamer seems to have overcome them all, at least in the 15-minute trial.

An added bonus is the removal of the black bars on the side of the video I get when streaming via Airplay Mirroring. Beamer gives you proper size as if you're streaming via iTunes.

YMMV, of course

blairh
Mar 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
Beamer does choke on HD video on the ULV processors that's in the Macbook Air, but there's nothing you can do about that, other than reencode your movies to MP4/x264.

Can you explain why exactly it has so much of an issue with my MBA?

spyguy10709
Mar 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
Can you explain why exactly it has so much of an issue with my MBA?

It's clocked at ~1.6 GHz. The slowest MBP you can buy now is 2.5GHz.

rocknblogger
Mar 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
I'm so glad you guys revived this thread. Just bought it and it works flawlessly. As someone before me said, this is how AirPlay should work. Absolutely awesome!!!

blairh
Mar 14, 2013, 10:02 PM
It's clocked at ~1.6 GHz. The slowest MBP you can buy now is 2.5GHz.

Would a MBP definitely allow for smooth HD playback with Beamer?

Is anyone here watching HD content with Beamer using their MBA + ATV?

steve-p
Mar 15, 2013, 04:27 AM
Another satisfied Beamer user here. It's a simple app that only does one thing, but it does it extremely well.

cosmicjoke
Mar 15, 2013, 05:53 AM
well, i dunno i had a 15gb mkv file of samsara i watched yesterday in 1080p that i beamed over wifi and it played through great, seemed to have a bit of a buffer lead (like where you ff you can see some there's some head room)- maybe because it was h264?

then today i tried a 7gb 720p avi file of the life of pi and it played for about 40mins and then started having buffering spinning cogwheel issues and i had to finish it on my plex htpc in other room...

not sure what the problem was, my '12 mac mini server having issues transcoding on the fly or wifi not keeping up or what... the .avi file didn't have a buffer lead like the mkv though.. possibly because of different codec?

regardless, the quality of both looked phenomenal and it seems like a great app when you're not in the mood to transcode or even remux...

am getting MoCA adapters in mail on monday so if it was wifi bandwith issue today hopefully that will solve it.

rocknblogger
Mar 16, 2013, 08:06 PM
I should add that I've used Beamer on my Hackintosh with i7 2700K and 16GB's of RAM and dual GTX480 video cards. Next week I will be testing it out on a brand new 2012/13 cMBP i7 2.6GHz, 1GB VRAM and 16GB's RAM. I'll report back with my experiences.

Richdmoore
Mar 23, 2013, 06:56 AM
FYI, app is on sale for $10 today and most of tomorrow.

http://deals.macupdate.com/deal/14006/12336/beamer?utm_source=MacUpdate+Announcements&utm_campaign=99ad22f104-UA-158337-2&utm_medium=email&mc_cid=99ad22f104&mc_eid=7607b7bf07

blairh
Mar 23, 2013, 10:01 AM
Sorry to ask this again but I would like to know if any MR members are watching HD content with Beamer using their MBA + ATV?

Skoopman
Mar 24, 2013, 05:35 AM
Sorry to ask this again but I would like to know if any MR members are watching HD content with Beamer using their MBA + ATV?

Yes, but files bigger than 4 GB have problems, they buffer quite a lot. It's not related to the hardware, but the app as it seems.

blairh
Mar 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
Yes, but files bigger than 4 GB have problems, they buffer quite a lot. It's not related to the hardware, but the app as it seems.

So the issue isn't my MBA but rather Beamer. Well, that really sucks.

Also I don't think 4 GB is the limit. I've had trouble playing HD files smaller than that.

cosmicjoke
Mar 24, 2013, 02:05 PM
So the issue isn't my MBA but rather Beamer. Well, that really sucks.

Also I don't think 4 GB is the limit. I've had trouble playing HD files smaller than that.

probably video codec related is my guess, the ones that are h264 but you simply haven't taken the few minutes to remux them to mp4 always play just fine....

xvid seems like it can be more iffy

tekboi
Mar 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
A must have app if you want any real use out of your ATV

blairh
Mar 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
probably video codec related is my guess, the ones that are h264 but you simply haven't taken the few minutes to remux them to mp4 always play just fine....

xvid seems like it can be more iffy

I have the issue with mp4's too. Why would you just assume such a thing? Don't be so dismissive for no reason.

Skoopman
Mar 24, 2013, 03:12 PM
Well, 720p content works fine, 1080p does not, it buffers quite a lot. Could also be a network problem? Maybe you can give us some info about your setup.

blairh
Mar 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
Well, 720p content works fine, 1080p does not, it buffers quite a lot. Could also be a network problem? Maybe you can give us some info about your setup.

MBA 2011 w/ML. ATV 3. Both updated to latest OS. Beamer is latest update too.

Not sure if my internet matters but I doubt that's the issue. I average 55 mbps down. Router is AirPort Extreme 5th gen.

No matter the size of the file, HD content does not work. It buffers give or take every 30 seconds for roughy 10 seconds at a time. Completely unwatchable. SD content is smooth.

Binarymix
Mar 24, 2013, 04:36 PM
MBA 2011 w/ML. ATV 3. Both updated to latest OS. Beamer is latest update too.

Not sure if my internet matters but I doubt that's the issue. I average 55 mbps down. Router is AirPort Extreme 5th gen.

No matter the size of the file, HD content does not work. It buffers give or take every 30 seconds for roughy 10 seconds at a time. Completely unwatchable. SD content is smooth.

Have you tried using a different channel on your Airport Extreme? And 5Ghz?

Airplay can be finicky, and drop out/lag if there is interference I've found.

Was happening a lot with audio from iTunes to an airplay speaker, but seems to have resolved after changing to a channel that's not being used around my house. Use a wifi scanner to see what channels might be clogged.

blairh
Mar 24, 2013, 05:03 PM
Have you tried using a different channel on your Airport Extreme? And 5Ghz?

Airplay can be finicky, and drop out/lag if there is interference I've found.

Was happening a lot with audio from iTunes to an airplay speaker, but seems to have resolved after changing to a channel that's not being used around my house. Use a wifi scanner to see what channels might be clogged.

I have not touched any of my AirPort settings since setting up the router from day one.

I can play HD content with AirPlay with no issues. It's just that not all my movies are in a format that are compatible with AirPlay. I don't think interference is the issue.

rocknblogger
Mar 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
Okay, so I got a brand new Retina MBP i7 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. I've tried five different videos in the following formats; mkv, avi, MP4 and one other I forgot. The size of the files ranged from 1GB to 9.94GB and each and every one played perfectly.

Obviously my rMBP is connected via wifi to my AirPort Extreme. The AirPort Extreme is connected vie Ethernet to my network. Also while the movies were playing I tried using different apps just to see if it had any effect on the playback. There was none.

In my experience Beamer is a fantastic app that works perfectly. It does one thing only but it does it extremely well.

cosmicjoke
Mar 24, 2013, 11:34 PM
I have the issue with mp4's too. Why would you just assume such a thing? Don't be so dismissive for no reason.

i'm not assuming anything as there are myriads of reasons that the problem can occur, transcoding issues, network issues if streaming over wifi, and just the app doing a bad job with certain codecs (mp4 is just a container, not a codec) --- what i do know is that some of the files i play with beamer accumulate a bit of a buffer lead, like when you pause the movie on the apple tv and some of the progress bar is white, indicating there's a bit of room where it's downloaded in advance kind of like youtube does...... those tend to be h264 movies... whereas some xvid avi files i've used beamer with show nothing in advance... so if wifi was to say drop below an acceptable level for a fraction of a second, i think that would be enough to trigger a buffer cogwheel

spacepower7
Mar 25, 2013, 12:24 AM
well, i dunno i had a 15gb mkv file of samsara i watched yesterday in 1080p that i beamed over wifi and it played through great, seemed to have a bit of a buffer lead (like where you ff you can see some there's some head room)- maybe because it was h264?

then today i tried a 7gb 720p avi file of the life of pi and it played for about 40mins and then started having buffering spinning cogwheel issues and i had to finish it on my plex htpc in other room...

not sure what the problem was, my '12 mac mini server having issues transcoding on the fly or wifi not keeping up or what... the .avi file didn't have a buffer lead like the mkv though.. possibly because of different codec?

regardless, the quality of both looked phenomenal and it seems like a great app when you're not in the mood to transcode or even remux...

am getting MoCA adapters in mail on monday so if it was wifi bandwith issue today hopefully that will solve it.

Hmm. What is the video codec in the AVI file? If it's h.264, it should be in an mp4/m4v or MKV. H.264 in an AVI file is nothing but trouble. A lot of hardware and software won't play it correctly.

Or is it Divx or Xvid 720? I've never seen a 7GB AVI file outside of PC video editing software and that was SD not 720p.

There are many more complex issues that could be discussed but use a mediainfo app to determine what your file contains.

cosmicjoke
Mar 25, 2013, 12:41 AM
Hmm. What is the video codec in the AVI file? If it's h.264, it should be in an mp4/m4v or MKV. H.264 in an AVI file is nothing but trouble. A lot of hardware and software won't play it correctly.

it's xvid/ac3 avi, it played fine for about 40mins with beamer and then afterwards started buffering every few mins... i've since switched my atv3 off wifi (to dual band AEBS) and onto MoCA, which gets a very consistent 11.4MB/s transfer rate to it (limited by 100mbps ethernet).... will have to try again and see what happens, but i don't really feel like watching the life of pi again lol

hdean
Mar 25, 2013, 02:34 AM
I have recently brought Apple TV 3, and i am using Windows 7 PC, is there any alternative apps (like beemer app) available for windows computers

blairh
Mar 25, 2013, 08:45 AM
i'm not assuming anything as there are myriads of reasons that the problem can occur, transcoding issues, network issues if streaming over wifi, and just the app doing a bad job with certain codecs (mp4 is just a container, not a codec) --- what i do know is that some of the files i play with beamer accumulate a bit of a buffer lead, like when you pause the movie on the apple tv and some of the progress bar is white, indicating there's a bit of room where it's downloaded in advance kind of like youtube does...... those tend to be h264 movies... whereas some xvid avi files i've used beamer with show nothing in advance... so if wifi was to say drop below an acceptable level for a fraction of a second, i think that would be enough to trigger a buffer cogwheel

Well actually you did assume I didn't try converting to mp4 and did so in a dissmissive manner.

Anyways, playing the file and then hitting pausing with hopes that it will allow time to create a 'buffer lead' doesn't work for me. Like I said before, SD content has no problem with Beamer. It's my HD content. I don't think the issue is my wi-fi or router. It's either my MBA not being powerful enough or more likely, it's Beamer itself.

This is a pretty common issue with Beamer too. Take a look at the replies their Twitter page gets. I think it's wrong of them to not address this in a general way.

cosmicjoke
Mar 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
Well actually you did assume I didn't try converting to mp4 and did so in a dissmissive manner.

Anyways, playing the file and then hitting pausing with hopes that it will allow time to create a 'buffer lead' doesn't work for me. Like I said before, SD content has no problem with Beamer. It's my HD content. I don't think the issue is my wi-fi or router. It's either my MBA not being powerful enough or more likely, it's Beamer itself.

This is a pretty common issue with Beamer too. Take a look at the replies their Twitter page gets. I think it's wrong of them to not address this in a general way.

no, you're projecting dismissiveness on me lol, i'm here trying to figure things out with you, no?.... you're dismissing me if you're not willing to try a variety of video codecs with beamer and see if there's a difference between some and others, but alas.

anyways, i think it's specific video codecs that seem to do the buffer lead for me where others did not (xvid in avi container).. i'm def having issues with buffering and beamer too on some videos, but the problem is i have a 15gb 1080p version of Samsara that beamer played just fine.... where an xvid 720p started buffering every few mins after playing fine for about 40mins...

Calvinator666
Apr 1, 2013, 05:22 AM

Totally agree with this. Air Video is fantastic and probably the most straightforward app ever. Plays and streams immediately, and in some case, it requires a conversion from within. But the conversion is really no big deal, it is basically the same as just clicking on it and the video plays right off the bat.

Another app which I am increasingly fond of these days would be the QuikIO app.

rocknblogger
Apr 1, 2013, 11:47 AM
Totally agree with this. Air Video is fantastic and probably the most straightforward app ever. Plays and streams immediately, and in some case, it requires a conversion from within. But the conversion is really no big deal, it is basically the same as just clicking on it and the video plays right off the bat.

Another app which I am increasingly fond of these days would be the QuikIO app.
I checked out Air Video website but I don't see anywhere that it works with Apple TV. The site only mentions iPhone, iPod and iPad. If that's the case then these are two completely different apps.

institute
Apr 1, 2013, 12:49 PM
You use an iOS app on your idevice and the server app on your computer. You play the film on the idevice app and then airplay it to the Apple TV.

rocknblogger
Apr 1, 2013, 01:44 PM
You use an iOS app on your idevice and the server app on your computer. You play the film on the idevice app and then airplay it to the Apple TV.

That's an unnecessary step when you have an app like Beamer. I just tried Air Video because I was looking for something like that to use on my iPad, but to stream to my Apple TV I'll just keep using Beamer. So far it has worked flawlessly on my rMBP.

JGRE
Apr 1, 2013, 04:08 PM
no, you're projecting dismissiveness on me lol, i'm here trying to figure things out with you, no?.... you're dismissing me if you're not willing to try a variety of video codecs with beamer and see if there's a difference between some and others, but alas.

anyways, i think it's specific video codecs that seem to do the buffer lead for me where others did not (xvid in avi container).. i'm def having issues with buffering and beamer too on some videos, but the problem is i have a 15gb 1080p version of Samsara that beamer played just fine.... where an xvid 720p started buffering every few mins after playing fine for about 40mins...

They (Beamer) told me that it was the WiFi not being able to transfer big files (using a cable it should totally disappear; haven't tried this yet). The strange thing is that when I watched Skyfall (12GB), the fist 5 minuted it went flawless and then it started buffering every minute. If it was the WiFi, this should have started from the first second. I also noticed improvements with respect to the buffering issue in new versions, so I think there is a software issue somewhere.....

----------

That's an unnecessary step when you have an app like Beamer. I just tried Air Video because I was looking for something like that to use on my iPad, but to stream to my Apple TV I'll just keep using Beamer. So far it has worked flawlessly on my rMBP.

Really? Does Air Video stream 1080p, and when I say "stream1080p" I mean receiving 1080p on your TV?

rocknblogger
Apr 1, 2013, 05:24 PM
Really? Does Air Video stream 1080p, and when I say "stream1080p" I mean receiving 1080p on your TV?

I just tried for you and there's no actually setting to say whether you want 1080p or 720p or whatever. I played a 1080p version of Prometheus mp4 and it was beautiful You have an option of "Play with live conversion" or just "Play". I tried both and it played perfectly.

The only two settings it has is two sliders more max width and max height. I set them both to max which is 1280x720 (iPad 2) and like I said it was perfect. Not to say it doesn't have any other settings but in regards to resolution it looks like it plays the videos in whatever resolution they are encoded to.

I hope that answers your question.

mic j
Apr 1, 2013, 05:38 PM
I just tried for you and there's no actually setting to say whether you want 1080p or 720p or whatever. I played a 1080p version of Prometheus mp4 and it was beautiful You have an option of "Play with live conversion" or just "Play". I tried both and it played perfectly.

The only two settings it has is two sliders more max width and max height. I set them both to max which is 1280x720 (iPad 2) and like I said it was perfect. Not to say it doesn't have any other settings but in regards to resolution it looks like it plays the videos in whatever resolution they are encoded to.

I hope that answers your question.
If your max height is 720, how could it be playing the 1080p file at full resolution?

rocknblogger
Apr 1, 2013, 06:07 PM
If your max height is 720, how could it be playing the 1080p file at full resolution?

Well proportionately it has to fit the screen right? So to me it looks wide screen 1080 with black bars at the top and bottom. The bottom line is that the picture quality is as good on my iPad as it is watching the same blu-ray disk on my TV. I don't know if the screenshots will do it any justice for you but I'll attach them anyway.

EDIT: On my iPad there are no black bars on the sides. Only top and bottom.

mic j
Apr 1, 2013, 07:50 PM
They (Beamer) told me that it was the WiFi not being able to transfer big files (using a cable it should totally disappear; haven't tried this yet). The strange thing is that when I watched Skyfall (12GB), the fist 5 minuted it went flawless and then it started buffering every minute. If it was the WiFi, this should have started from the first second. I also noticed improvements with respect to the buffering issue in new versions, so I think there is a software issue somewhere.....[COLOR="#808080"]

Of course, having your Mac connected by cable in order to not have buffer issues on big files, kind of defeats the purpose of having beamer doesn't it?

Also, in looking around at some reviews on the app, it seems that one of the most frequent complaints is its choking on mkv files over 4GB.

Richdmoore
Apr 1, 2013, 08:57 PM
I found that an issue I had was (auto racing recording) was resolved by converting the audio format from 5.1 AC6 to 2 channel AAC. I don't know why, except that maybe it was making beamer or the apple tv 3 work too hard. (Multi channel audio was a recent addition to the app, there may be a bug or two as well still.)

If it matters, both the apple tv3, and the 2011 imac were both hard wired with ethernet.

Overall, the app works great, and it is money well spent for me.

adnbek
Apr 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
Beamer is fantastic. Tried it out for about 15mn, bought it immediately.

StoneJack
Apr 9, 2013, 08:10 AM
Never mind,
it just works :)
some MKV seems a bit hard for it

Mikebuzzsaw
Apr 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
Use beamer almost everyday to watch videos since I cut cable. Works with everything I've thrown at it.

grayskyz
Apr 17, 2013, 04:00 PM
I like beamer, works well. I do wish it had the ability to create a playlist for tv shows.

blairh
Apr 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
Use beamer almost everyday to watch videos since I cut cable. Works with everything I've thrown at it.

What Mac are you using?

I've sold my MBA. Does anybody know of Beamer-like apps that run on Windows 8 in conjunction with an Apple TV? I'd be curious to try out a cheap Windows 8 laptop with a Beamer-like application. Or maybe just concede and use an HDMI cable.

chevy57
Aug 2, 2013, 05:30 PM
I got new beamer app today. it s better quality than Apple AirPlay mirroring. but subtitle texts are too small and tiny fonts. Beamer support says "Can I increase the size of the subtitle text? Unfortunately, Apple TV currently does not offer a way to change the font size of the subtitles. If you like, you can ask Apple to add this feature by filling in their Apple TV feedback form."

I had heard about update app for custom subtitles soon. There are preset choices, but you can also create a new subtitle style from scratch. Available customization features include your choice of typeface (including the new newspaper style Lapin font), font size, color, opacity, text edge and video override styles and more.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/17/apple-tv-conference-room-itunes-radio-custom-subtitles/

I hope Beamer supports custom subtitles.

mic j
Aug 2, 2013, 05:46 PM
I got new beamer app today. it s better quality than Apple AirPlay mirroring. but subtitle texts are too small and tiny fonts. Beamer support says "Can I increase the size of the subtitle text? Unfortunately, Apple TV currently does not offer a way to change the font size of the subtitles. If you like, you can ask Apple to add this feature by filling in their Apple TV feedback form."

I had heard about update app for custom subtitles soon. There are preset choices, but you can also create a new subtitle style from scratch. Available customization features include your choice of typeface (including the new newspaper style Lapin font), font size, color, opacity, text edge and video override styles and more.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/17/apple-tv-conference-room-itunes-radio-custom-subtitles/

To be accurate, Beamer only "AirPlays" movies, right? Not what ever is on your desktop (mirroring)?

chevy57
Aug 2, 2013, 06:03 PM
To be accurate, Beamer only "AirPlays" movies, right? Not what ever is on your desktop (mirroring)?

I have torrent hollywood movies in my MacBook Pro to airplay to HDTV via Apple TV in using Beamer. I like VLC but movie streaming is some lag.

priitv8
Aug 5, 2013, 07:20 AM
To be accurate, Beamer only "AirPlays" movies, right?Correct, but it's merit is the ability to transcode the stream on the fly, if needed. E.g I can throw to it a MPEG-2 transport stream or a VC-1 in WMV and it will AirPlay it happily. Also, it will take external subtitles from file.

mic j
Aug 8, 2013, 02:16 PM
Well, after so much adulation about Beamer, I thought I would give it another go. They have added surround sound since I last tried it and that is a nice addition. Unfortunately, it still buffers about every 20-30sec whether the source is dvd or BR. When it does play, the video seems smooth and the audio is fine.

Since it is doing on-the-fly transcoding, which is very CPU intensive, the problem probably lies with my duocore MBP not having enough transcoding capacity to keep up with the movie stream. I know the home network is fine as I never have a problem with iTunes movie buffering. AirParrot had the same, actually worse, problem in my hands. Those with multi-core Mac's seem to have no problem with AirParrot. Probably the same situation with Beamer.

chevy57
Sep 22, 2013, 06:43 AM

I finally update Apple TV 6.0 last Friday then update Beamer for compatible Apple TV 6.0. Working subtitle with one movie steaming at any font, size, style, etc. but other movies won't work with subtitles.:( I sent feedback to Beamer. I hope they fix it. I will wait for reply from Beamer.

SantaRosa2.2
Sep 23, 2013, 07:18 PM
I'm on the fence about buying this Beamer app it seems to have better sound quality than airplay off my 2011 MacBook Pro but the image quality seems to be not so great.

I use the 15 minute trial version to throw as many videos as possible and do it to see what it was like.

I do like the fact that allows 5.1 surround to go through my receiver something that airplay i wish had. The surround sound functionality is the only reason I'm really even contemplating it.

Has anyone else noticed poor image quality compared airplay??

Andrew83Ga
Sep 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
thanks man, that worked!

priitv8
Sep 24, 2013, 01:13 AM
I do like the fact that allows 5.1 surround to go through my receiver something that airplay i wish had. In which usage scenario don't you get 5.1 sound from AirPlay? Works for me every time, except for screen mirroring, of course.
PS OS X ML is even that smart, that if you play a movie in iTunes full screen and had mirroring turned on, it seems to revert back to simple movie streaming, instead of on-the-fly transcoding, mirroring would call for.

JGRE
Sep 24, 2013, 02:45 AM
Just gave it a try. 720p mkv video. The quality is not great. It uses the computer to convert and stream at the same time.

Quality is fine (even beter than iTunes as is has DTS). Your issue is either a bad file or an old computer. Beamer does a great job up to 5 to 6 GB. Bigger files tend to stutter,

----------

Used to convert MKV to iTunes format which took hours just to find out the movie was rubbish. With Beamer just drag and drop and watch the movie. Next to this with Beamer I can enjoy DTS which is not supported by iTunes. You can also drag and drop SRT files (sub title files) in Beamer easily.
Only real problem I have is with large MKVs (more than 6GB) they tend to stutter (interruption in the play-back.
Hope that with the new WI standard the big-file problem with Beamer disappears
Thumbs up for Beamer

----------

Subtitles work fine over here, you are probably doing something wrong.

----------

No problems with subtitles, works fine. Sometimes movies are 'cut', so you are missing some time at the start, this makes that the SRT file is out of syn. This is not a Beamer problem, but the problem of a 'bad copy' of the movie. Most movies work fine with SRT subtitles.

----------

Just compare the difference in picture quality and sound and your sold.

----------

FYI, for this weekend only, Beamer is on sale for just under $10.

From their twitter page:
"To celebrate the launch of Beamer 1.6, we’re giving a $5.1 “surround sound” discount. Only this weekend!"

Beamer app link (http://beamer-app.com)

Beamer store link (https://sites.fastspring.com/tupil/instant/beamer?coupon=SURROUND-RELEASE-PROMO)

I'm thinking I'm going to give this a go. I have an older MBP and the price is right.

Beamer is on version 1.7.1

----------

I'm on the fence about buying this Beamer app it seems to have better sound quality than airplay off my 2011 MacBook Pro but the image quality seems to be not so great.

I use the 15 minute trial version to throw as many videos as possible and do it to see what it was like.

I do like the fact that allows 5.1 surround to go through my receiver something that airplay i wish had. The surround sound functionality is the only reason I'm really even contemplating it.

Has anyone else noticed poor image quality compared airplay??

The image is as good as the file you are playing, I get 1080p on my ATV3; it is far better than normal airplay which is about 480p.

----------

In which usage scenario don't you get 5.1 sound from AirPlay? Works for me every time, except for screen mirroring, of course.
PS OS X ML is even that smart, that if you play a movie in iTunes full screen and had mirroring turned on, it seems to revert back to simple movie streaming, instead of on-the-fly transcoding, mirroring would call for.

But you don't get DTS, with Beamer you do.

----------

What Mac are you using?

I've sold my MBA. Does anybody know of Beamer-like apps that run on Windows 8 in conjunction with an Apple TV? I'd be curious to try out a cheap Windows 8 laptop with a Beamer-like application. Or maybe just concede and use an HDMI cable.

OSX Only

SantaRosa2.2
Sep 24, 2013, 05:36 AM
In which usage scenario don't you get 5.1 sound from AirPlay? Works for me every time, except for screen mirroring, of course.

I guess I should've elaborated I'm interested in getting 5.1 mirroring I don't want to put everything into iTunes every time it's just simpler just a click on the file and airplay with mirroring. Since I have a large ripped DVD collection on my server.

priitv8
Sep 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
But you don't get DTS, with Beamer you do.Are you sure, DTS does not get transcoded to DD5.1? I'm asking because I don't get how AirPlay receiver side in AppleTV could possibly handle DTS in current state of things?
EDIT: Beamer FB page reveals the truth:
February 23
New: Surround Sound Support!

• Supports all common formats (e.g. Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital HD, DTS and DTS-HD).
• Depending on your receiver hardware, you might need to set the option ‘Dolby Digital’ to ‘On’ (in ‘Settings’ > ‘Audio & Video’).
• Please note that Beamer converts all surround sound audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.
So, in essence, you don't get DTS, you can just spare the preflight conversion of audio and Beamer will do it on-the-fly. But you won't get DTS sound quality. Now, it remains to be seen, to what bitrate do they transcode. In HB I can at least convert DTS to DD5.1 640kbps.

EDIT 2: just tested, it converts to DD5.1, 448kbps@48kHz (or possibly @source sample rate)

SantaRosa2.2
Sep 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
The image is as good as the file you are playing, I get 1080p on my ATV3; it is far better than normal airplay which is about 480p.

----------

I play the same file on Beamer and the then on Airplay Mirroring using Movist as my Media player, for comparison sake, playing one and then trying the other way. I have an ATV3 . With Beamer the picture quality appears granier. I've tried a dozen or so files, in various formats. MP4, AVI, MKV. Results are the same each time. The sound is vastly superior with Beamer though. Loving that 5.1 throught my Harmon Kardon/Klipsch Setup. Overall Beamer is worth the money I spent.

JGRE
Sep 25, 2013, 03:39 AM
Are you sure, DTS does not get transcoded to DD5.1? I'm asking because I don't get how AirPlay receiver side in AppleTV could possibly handle DTS in current state of things?
EDIT: Beamer FB page reveals the truth:

So, in essence, you don't get DTS, you can just spare the preflight conversion of audio and Beamer will do it on-the-fly. But you won't get DTS sound quality. Now, it remains to be seen, to what bitrate do they transcode. In HB I can at least convert DTS to DD5.1 640kbps.

EDIT 2: just tested, it converts to DD5.1, 448kbps@48kHz (or possibly @source sample rate)

So, I got exited for nothing.....Hmmmm...that sucks. thanks for the update.

chillenandy321
Sep 26, 2013, 11:10 AM
I haven't tired putting in the subtitles SRT file for movies yet. How do you play subtitles if needed? Thanks

eflude
Mar 24, 2014, 10:17 AM
I use it constantly and it's perfect. I ran a cat 5e cable between my Mac and Apple TV. Don't like wireless so have not tried it. But quality is AMAZING! Only con is it doesn't do VOB files . But no matter I bought it even though I could have got it for free. We HAVE to support apps like this because, frankly, with out financial support these apps could not exist!

diazj3
Apr 20, 2014, 07:25 AM
I haven't tired putting in the subtitles SRT file for movies yet. How do you play subtitles if needed? Thanks

If the .srt file is in the same folder with the movie (and O think with the same name) it gets picked up automatically if you have such option selected on preferences.

If the .srt file is somewhere else, you just go to menu Controls > Subtitles, and load the file.

I use it constantly and it's perfect. I ran a cat 5e cable between my Mac and Apple TV. Don't like wireless so have not tried it. But quality is AMAZING! Only con is it doesn't do VOB files . But no matter I bought it even though I could have got it for free. We HAVE to support apps like this because, frankly, with out financial support these apps could not exist!

I agree.... this app is AMAZING. Basically the only reason I recommend an Apple TV instead of other boxes. Without it, my apple TV would be almost useless, since I've ripped all my tv series and movies into hard drives. It lets me bypass the nightmare that is managing iTunes, and create playlists with a simple drag and drop. It works for almost any file format, plays surround sound, and the support team is incredibly helpful.

I couldn't recommend it enough. Seriously.

cheers!

SantaRosa2.2
Apr 25, 2014, 07:37 PM
----------

I play the same file on Beamer and the then on Airplay Mirroring using Movist as my Media player, for comparison sake, playing one and then trying the other way. I have an ATV3 . With Beamer the picture quality appears granier. I've tried a dozen or so files, in various formats. MP4, AVI, MKV. Results are the same each time. The sound is vastly superior with Beamer though. Loving that 5.1 throught my Harmon Kardon/Klipsch Setup. Overall Beamer is worth the money I spent.

Update on the grainy picture quality, I've used handbrake to re-rip much of my library to a better quality of .mp4 file and it has have had no problem with the quality.

Beamer has been the best app I have ever installed.

VideoBeagle
Apr 25, 2014, 09:10 PM
Ditto. (I think I started a thread on how great it is around here)

adnbek
May 18, 2014, 11:36 AM
Beamer FINALLY has been updated to included playlist creation, so no need to drag and drop one video at a time. You have to pay $6 for the upgrade if you're a current license holder but to me it's worth it as it was a must-needed feature.

nick_elt
Jun 4, 2014, 03:59 PM
the only thing that works smoothly for me is .mp4s in itunes beamer is no better than screen mirroring which is watchable but def not as smooth, hopefully the peer to peer update in the new osx fixes this