Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oli.watts

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
UK
Hello chums,

I'm considering purchasing a G3 iMac to run as a machine to just share my iTunes library to my Apple TV.

Wondered if anyone has tried this before, or if they were aware of any limitations I might run into? Will I be able to run 10.3 on it nicely for example?

Cheers,

Oli

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I've never used a G3 for this purpose and I'm guess you won't be able to run a new enough version of iTunes for it to work.

I can say that a G4 works fine for this and is still currently supported by iTunes. I would guess it won't be much longer though.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I've never used a G3 for this purpose and I'm guess you won't be able to run a new enough version of iTunes for it to work.

I can say that a G4 works fine for this and is still currently supported by iTunes. I would guess it won't be much longer though.

This^or you could get a cheap first intel generation mini and do that, unless you for some reason don't like intel, itunes will be supported for a pretty long time on those machines.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea I'd strongly recommend a Leopard capable machine like a newer eMac, upgraded G4 cube ect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.