Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klownhaus

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2001
Austin, TX
interesting

This is interesting. Very interesting. I think this seals it for me. LCD iMacs at MWNY. Good. I have been wanting one of those...! :)

fbcfabric

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2001
i hope so

after all this hype, and the thought of what titanium style LCD iMacs could do for apple, im gonna be one unhappy chicken on wednesday if we get a 700MHz iMac with the same industrial design and screen...

come on apple... this is what you need to do to really get ahead of the game...

T

t^3

LCD iMacs are certainly possible, as Apple has removed CRT displays completely from its professional line already.

Regarding the G3 or G4 issue in the iMac, there certainly is precedence for both the iMac and the Power Mac to have the same processor class. From the introduction of the iMac to August 1999, the iMac and the Power Mac were both powered by G3 processors; then came the G4. Apple could choose to go this strategy again with the G5 scheduled to come out next year so as to cushion the upgrade paths. But then again, Apple could go all out and upgrade the iMac to G4 and the Power Mac to G5 at the same time.

I think this is more likely, because LCD iMacs are more of an issue for consumers. A G4 processor costs more than a G3 at the same speed, so Apple isn't likely to introduce a LCD iMac G4 on Wednesday. It would be either the LCD or the G4.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
NO WAY!!! If Apple did do something to raise the iMac price (LCD'S), then there is no possible way to put a G4 chip in also and keep cost down enough to have schools consider buying them. Sorry boys, but I think that you're all going to be dissappointed come July 17th. I say neither LCD or G4

Pete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.