PDA

View Full Version : Does opening the bottom panel of the MBA void warranty?

daonesteven
Dec 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
sorry i tried searching and couldn't find it. As the topic says, if I bought the special screwdriver and opened up the bottom panel to just blow out the dust once in a while without altering anything inside, would that void the warranty?

If not, where can I get those special screwdrivers :D

*Edit: Also, aside from the issue of ethics, would the apple store even know that I was able to open the bottom panel? If this question isn't supposed to be asked here, then let me know.

Intell
Dec 11, 2011, 11:57 AM
I believe it does, since none of the internal Macbook Air parts are user replaceable.

GGJstudios
Dec 11, 2011, 12:01 PM
Does opening the bottom panel of the MBA void warranty?
Technically, yes. Whether they'll notice or enforce it is another matter.
Your MacBook Air does not have any user-serviceable or user-replaceable parts.

komoornik
Dec 11, 2011, 02:31 PM
Technically there isn't any kind of seal, so they can't prove anything.

lulla01
Dec 12, 2011, 11:30 PM
Just make sure you don't strip the screws and you'll be fine =)

richorlin
Dec 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
The question that comes to mind is: if the MBA is a sealed system, why would you think dust could get in there?

ND40oz
Dec 15, 2011, 10:19 AM
The question that comes to mind is: if the MBA is a sealed system, why would you think dust could get in there?

It's not a sealed system, it's vented, otherwise there would be no reason for a fan.

TheRealDamager
Dec 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah - not sealed, but with the right screwdriver (I recommend IFixit) it is easy to open with no sign that you have gotten in there. Just be very careful and take your time with the screws - even with the right driver, its easy to rush and damage the screws.

oneMadRssn
Dec 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
If you're careful, there is no way apple will know you have opened it. I open mine up every few months for the same reason, to blow out the dust and stuff.

The only tampter-evidence strip is on the battery (as far as I know), so they will be able to tell if you try to take that out.

gnasher729
Dec 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
*Edit: Also, aside from the issue of ethics, would the apple store even know that I was able to open the bottom panel? If this question isn't supposed to be asked here, then let me know.

Opening it doesn't void the warranty. Opening it and causing damage inside does void the warranty. If there is damage inside caused by you then they will very likely notice.

agentphish
Dec 15, 2011, 12:45 PM
Why do you want to open it is the question we should all be asking.

GGJstudios
Dec 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Why do you want to open it is the question we should all be asking.
Already answered in the OP:
if I ... opened up the bottom panel to just blow out the dust once in a while without altering anything inside, would that void the warranty?

agentphish
Dec 15, 2011, 12:55 PM
oops missed that one

ZipZap
Dec 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
Id like a set of screws....anyone know where I can buy them?

GGJstudios
Dec 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
Id like a set of screws....anyone know where I can buy them?
Did you have any luck trying this?: