PDA

View Full Version : Torn between what to do...

michael31986
Dec 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
I need a new computer, since my sony vaio is so slow. especially with itunes and my ipod with syncing, but im not sure if this is an itunes/ipod issue or if it is my computer. im sure my ipod would sync better with a mac since its more compatible if that makes sense. Anyway i mainly just use my computer to update my ipod and that is about it for now, because i am now in school and any surfing i do is from my ipad or if i need to apply for jobs i do use my lap top. Just wondering if you guys think its worth it to get an mac book air?

Thnkdifferent
Dec 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

....you're on a Mac Rumors forum. What do you think we're going to say?

scarred
Dec 11, 2011, 12:18 PM
Even the base air model of 999 is pretty pricey to "sync your iPod". In fact, I'd go so far to say any computer for any price is a waste for that single activity.

If your parents are rich, sure, spend some of their money and get a macbook air. They are nice. =)

michael31986
Dec 11, 2011, 12:32 PM
i use it for other things. i don't want a PC i never said that. i want a mac. i just don't know which one is better. I can get a 13 inch macbook air or a macbook pro. I think the 13 inch mac book pro is actually cheaper than the air by 100. so im not sure what is better deal for me.

Xikum
Dec 11, 2011, 01:00 PM
i use it for other things. i don't want a PC i never said that. i want a mac. i just don't know which one is better. I can get a 13 inch macbook air or a macbook pro. I think the 13 inch mac book pro is actually cheaper than the air by 100. so im not sure what is better deal for me.

A MacBook Pro is a better computer than the MacBook Air if it is going to be your ONLY computer if you ask me. The MBP is cheaper, more powerful, and with more built in storage.

The MacBook Air is the perfect portable computer, but personally I think if you only want to have one computer, the MacBook Pro is more suited for that role. The Pro is also a very mobile computer, and not heavy by any means.

orfeas0
Dec 11, 2011, 01:21 PM

A MacBook Pro is a better computer than the MacBook Air if it is going to be your ONLY computer if you ask me. The MBP is cheaper, more powerful, and with more built in storage.

The MacBook Air is the perfect portable computer, but personally I think if you only want to have one computer, the MacBook Pro is more suited for that role. The Pro is also a very mobile computer, and not heavy by any means.
I disagree. For his purposes, the MBA with SSD will be faster.
The mba is better overall with the SSD speed and better screen resolution (and ofc portability). The mba is powerful enough, and since he seems to have money (ipod+ipad+looking for a MBA while going to school), it's worth it.

convergent
Dec 11, 2011, 02:59 PM

I disagree with this statement. I consider myself a power user and "upgraded" from a MBP to MBA. The reason the MBP is cheaper than the MBA is because it doesn't have an SSD. Add and SSD to it and then do your price comparison.

Back to the original question... there is nothing inherently "more compatible" with syncing an iPod to a Mac vs. a windows PC. Both computers are running iTunes. If your windows PC has problems, that's a different matter. You might try restoring it to factory settings which will make it run faster and hopefully clear any issues that might exist.

plumosa
Dec 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
how old is the vaio? For your needs it would be better/cheaper to just get an ssd and max the ram if its not already. If its super old (5+ years) then I'd go for the MBA, but the 11". Its what I have as my sole machine since I'm living a year overseas and I love it so much and have no problem with the screen size.

Xikum
Dec 11, 2011, 04:20 PM
I disagree. For his purposes, the MBA with SSD will be faster.
The mba is better overall with the SSD speed and better screen resolution (and ofc portability). The mba is powerful enough, and since he seems to have money (ipod+ipad+looking for a MBA while going to school), it's worth it.

I disagree with this statement. I consider myself a power user and "upgraded" from a MBP to MBA. The reason the MBP is cheaper than the MBA is because it doesn't have an SSD. Add and SSD to it and then do your price comparison.

Back to the original question... there is nothing inherently "more compatible" with syncing an iPod to a Mac vs. a windows PC. Both computers are running iTunes. If your windows PC has problems, that's a different matter. You might try restoring it to factory settings which will make it run faster and hopefully clear any issues that might exist.

But OP doesn't NEED an SSD. Sure, it has faster boot times and load times, but does he need it? Not at all.

The fact that the MBP has more storage (1,349.00 for a 256 GB Air, 999 for a 320 GB HDD Pro) for ALOT cheaper, would seal the deal for me. Also, if OP is looking to keep his laptop for a long time (5+ years), chances are the HDD will be longer lasting than the SSD. Not to mention that the MBP has user-upgradable RAM, and a faster CPU, which should keep the laptop more relevant, for longer.

michael31986
Dec 11, 2011, 05:19 PM
I decided to get the MBP 13 inch. I love it!! Thing is how do I change my iPhone and iPod touch and etc to work on the mac

Xikum
Dec 11, 2011, 06:03 PM
I decided to get the MBP 13 inch. I love it!! Thing is how do I change my iPhone and iPod touch and etc to work on the mac

Good choice. Go iTunes and plug in your iPhone. Then, sign into your iTunes account and activate your new computer onto your iTunes account (Store-->Activat this computer in the main menu).

Now, you can just sync up your phone and thats you done.

michael31986
Dec 11, 2011, 07:06 PM
Good choice. Go iTunes and plug in your iPhone. Then, sign into your iTunes account and activate your new computer onto your iTunes account (Store-->Activat this computer in the main menu).

Now, you can just sync up your phone and thats you done.

i just did that! thanks. I don't need to sync music or apps to it since i download those straight from the phone. plus if i want to sync it to my mac now i have to erase and sync everything all over again. it sucks. ill just leave it so that i can plug it in to my mac if i need to and update, but i don't even need to update through iTunes, since it does that through the phone itself.

what about my iPod touch? if i have it set to manual on my pc. if i plug it into my mac can i still add and delete songs as if i was on my pc.

Xikum
Dec 11, 2011, 07:19 PM
i just did that! thanks. I don't need to sync music or apps to it since i download those straight from the phone. plus if i want to sync it to my mac now i have to erase and sync everything all over again. it sucks. ill just leave it so that i can plug it in to my mac if i need to and update, but i don't even need to update through iTunes, since it does that through the phone itself.

what about my iPod touch? if i have it set to manual on my pc. if i plug it into my mac can i still add and delete songs as if i was on my pc.

Well, if you transfer your songs over frm your old laptop to your new MBP, then your better off using your MBP for your iPhone/touch library.

You can still do manual on the Mac, iTunes is pretty much the exact same.

michael31986
Dec 11, 2011, 07:51 PM
thanks for all your help! but one last thing. is their a program that i can get so that i can plug my iPod touch into my new mac and copy all the playlists and songs to iTunes? similar to what copytrans does on pc?

MrWillie
Dec 11, 2011, 08:19 PM
But OP doesn't NEED an SSD. Sure, it has faster boot times and load times, but does he need it? Not at all.

The fact that the MBP has more storage (1,349.00 for a 256 GB Air, 999 for a 320 GB HDD Pro) for ALOT cheaper, would seal the deal for me. Also, if OP is looking to keep his laptop for a long time (5+ years), chances are the HDD will be longer lasting than the SSD. Not to mention that the MBP has user-upgradable RAM, and a faster CPU, which should keep the laptop more relevant, for longer.

A modern SSD will out last you, which is a heck of a lot longer (I hope) than a conventional hard drive. The bigger the drive, the longer it will last. (Please don't make me do the math). That fallacy comes from the days of old when people used compact flash cards.

Edit: Who the hell gave the OP a negative rating? Here I'll bump you back up. These ratings are dumb.

Macee
Dec 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

....you're on a Mac Rumors forum. What do you think we're going to say?

Buy a Mac...:D

ET iPhone Home
Dec 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
Based on what you presented, the MBAir is perfect. I had a 7yr-old Sony. Last year is when I realized I needed a new computer. I didn't know what to get. I used that Sony for one more year and finally I put it to rest. I only use it for Word, as I haven't purchase Office for my MB Air.

Anyway, a friend told me to try the Air. I only use it to surf the web, email, youtube, hulu (when I miss a TV program I've missed), and Word.doc. It's the best fit for what I use it for. I also purchased a 4S and am very happy with these 2 new devices.

Best Buy allows you to try their computers for 2 weeks. No open box fee. I did just that, and was happy a friend turn me to Apple. Now, I have until Jan. 24th to exchange the MB Air and I'm contemplating the 15-inch MB Pro, but the only thing I don't like about it is it lacks the SSD like the MBAir. I'll be upset if the next ten 15-inch Pro's get the SSD, which rumor claims them will Q1 2012.

Edit: As far as you music, why can't you just copy the folder where all your music is stored on an external drive and import them their from iTunes on your new MBP. You can also back up, if you hadn't already, the music on your iPod, store them on your vaio, and copy them to the external and import fro there. I now these are a lot of steps, but unless you have the proper cables and apps to transfer, I think, this is the best economical solution.

michael31986
Dec 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
Based on what you presented, the MBAir is perfect. I had a 7yr-old Sony. Last year is when I realized I needed a new computer. I didn't know what to get. I used that Sony for one more year and finally I put it to rest. I only use it for Word, as I haven't purchase Office for my MB Air.

Anyway, a friend told me to try the Air. I only use it to surf the web, email, youtube, hulu (when I miss a TV program I've missed), and Word.doc. It's the best fit for what I use it for. I also purchased a 4S and am very happy with these 2 new devices.

Best Buy allows you to try their computers for 2 weeks. No open box fee. I did just that, and was happy a friend turn me to Apple. Now, I have until Jan. 24th to exchange the MB Air and I'm contemplating the 15-inch MB Pro, but the only thing I don't like about it is it lacks the SSD like the MBAir. I'll be upset if the next ten 15-inch Pro's get the SSD, which rumor claims them will Q1 2012.

Edit: As far as you music, why can't you just copy the folder where all your music is stored on an external drive and import them their from iTunes on your new MBP. You can also back up, if you hadn't already, the music on your iPod, store them on your vaio, and copy them to the external and import fro there. I now these are a lot of steps, but unless you have the proper cables and apps to transfer, I think, this is the best economical solution.

thanks for the advice. I like the fact that i got the macbook pro though. Its 100 less than the 13 inch air and it has more for its buck. in terms of more space and faster processor. And since this will be my main computer at home. I have an iPad for portability of a mac in my palms! the ssd is very good, but i don't mind having the hard drive on my macbook pro!

michaelz
Dec 11, 2011, 09:42 PM
thanks for the advice. I like the fact that i got the macbook pro though. Its 100 less than the 13 inch air and it has more for its buck. in terms of more space and faster processor. And since this will be my main computer at home. I have an iPad for portability of a mac in my palms! the ssd is very good, but i don't mind having the hard drive on my macbook pro!

Bad decision. You get more with 13" MBA. SSD makes huge difference.

michael31986
Dec 12, 2011, 03:01 AM
Bad decision. You get more with 13" MBA. SSD makes huge difference.

Difference in what sense? I keep reading the mbp is easier to upgrade in ram later on and etc. if it is a millisecond in speed your talking to wrong person

Xikum
Dec 12, 2011, 04:59 AM
Don't listen to them OP, the MBP is a better choice.

The SSD is great, sure. It has much faster boot times and it is alot faster at loading apps. But does it matter THAT much? Absolutely not; can you wait a few seconds here and there? I mean, how often do you actually power on your computer, at most once a day (so you loose about a minute of your life each day waiting for your computer to load, big deal). You bought a very nice computer and you WILL be very happy with it.

About your question earlier, I'm sorry I don't know. Search on google, there is alot of good advice there about great Apps for the Mac.

michael31986
Dec 12, 2011, 05:37 AM
Don't listen to them OP, the MBP is a better choice.

The SSD is great, sure. It has much faster boot times and it is alot faster at loading apps. But does it matter THAT much? Absolutely not; can you wait a few seconds here and there? I mean, how often do you actually power on your computer, at most once a day (so you loose about a minute of your life each day waiting for your computer to load, big deal). You bought a very nice computer and you WILL be very happy with it.

About your question earlier, I'm sorry I don't know. Search on google, there is alot of good advice there about great Apps for the Mac.

Thanks! I researched and yea it just loads things a little faster but nothing to cry home about. I'm happy with the pro. It will let me upgrade it in the future