PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] MBA Screwdriver

dlimes13
Dec 11, 2011, 08:58 PM
I need a Pentalobe screwdriver to open the MBA, but I cannot find one locally and really do not want to order one. Just wondering if anyone got their's locally and where/what to look for? Or, a good online link to something that works (a lot I've found are skeptical reviews).

SDColorado
Dec 11, 2011, 09:03 PM
This (http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/MacBook-Air-5-Point-Pentalobe-Screwdriver/IF145-090) is the one that I purchased. I am not a huge "tool guy," so I don't know if it is the best option out there, but it seems to work just fine.

Edit: Just double checked, and the 12511FIXIT Coupon code still works for $5 off.

dlimes13
Dec 11, 2011, 09:06 PM
That's one I am considering, the price tag is not attractive though.

SDColorado
Dec 11, 2011, 09:19 PM
It is, even with the $5 off it still expensive when you add shipping. I couldn't find one locally either though. I tried Microcenter and Radio Shack and neither had one, at least not near me. So I went ahead and ordered it. I figured better safe than sorry. I would hate to order a cheap one and have one of those screws strip. Oh well :)

ezramoore
Dec 11, 2011, 09:26 PM
You're not going to find a pentalobe screwdriver locally. Unless you are local to a mac repair center.

Also $5 - $15 is a VERY reasonable price. Apple charges their AASPs more than $30 (plus shipping) for the MBA pentalobe screwdriver.

It is a lot nicer, but the lesson here is that good tools cost money.

You don't want to strip those little screws.

dlimes13
Dec 12, 2011, 09:49 AM
Well I ordered the one from iFixit. Hopefully it'll be here before the end of the week.

SDColorado, thanks for the coupon code. I appreciate it.

will0407
Dec 12, 2011, 11:08 AM
I'm in the UK and ordered one from ebay for about 5, usually very cheap on there

dlimes13
Dec 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
Got the one from iFixit and it works great. Hopefully I can use it for other things as well.