PDA

View Full Version : Optical Audio Through a Switch. Known Problem or Fix?

tazz131
Dec 11, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hello,

I just got my Apple TV today.

I've got it all hooked up, but one thing is driving me crazy.

I've got a cheap HTIB with only one optical audio output...
I've got a Satellite Receiver, an Xbox 360 and my Apple TV hooked up to that receiver using a simple toslink switch (turn the dial to get the required input).

Everything works but the Apple TV. I have switched inputs, switched cables, and regardless I get audio from every other device, but the Apple TV.

When I hook the Apple TV directly to my HTIB I get the audio I expect, through my surround sound speakers...But, I get nothing when using the switch.

I'm on 4.4.3. Is this a known problem?

Do I need to get a new switch? If so, which would you recommend?

Thanks.

DustinT
Dec 13, 2011, 06:53 AM
I'm not aware of this being a known issue. The type of switch you are talking about is pretty uncommon and I'm not sure that I even know about a replacement to recommend to you. Most folks have switched to HDMI for their audio. I hate to say this, but I think it might be time for you to look at a new receiver. Some quick shopping on Crutchfield.com and Bestbuy.com shows you can get an entry level Dolby Digital A\V receiver for about $150 and $200 will get you an entry level 3d Blu-Ray capable system with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master to handle the great audio from those. Even if you don't have a bluray player at the moment, it is nice to have support for it when and if the time comes. Plus, these receivers have a selection of digital, component and HDMI audio inputs so you don't have to mess with that switch anymore. It will all work from your remote.

Vikingobsessed
Dec 13, 2011, 09:17 AM
but then again, I had a really old Phillips receiver that had no digital or optical input. I purchased a switcher box on Amazon that was supposed to convert the Apple TV2's audio to the RCA plugs which seemed to work for the music/movies I had ripped but not for the purchased content. I assume this was due to a different audio codec than the little switcher could interpret. After much troubleshooting, cord changing and headaches, I gave in and got a Sony HD receiver, hooked all my hdmi up with only one hdmi out to the tv and all works great now.