PDA

View Full Version : USing RecoveryDiskAssistant

davidlv
Dec 12, 2011, 08:20 AM
Can someone clue me in about RecoveryDiskAssistant? I tried to use it to make a USB thumb drive with a recovery partition, thinking I would install a basic Lion system on the drive too, with only Disk Warrior added, just in case the internal drive on the Mac Mini 2011 went south.
After running RecoveryDiskAssistant, the drive was seen in Disk Utility, no partition seen, but with the same remaining space as the drive had right after I formatted it (GUID partition). Can I just make a partition and still retain the hidden Recovery partition? Or will partitioning the USB drive erase the recovery partition? Apple's documents are not so clear on this (at least I cannot find any explanation about it.

heisenberg123
Dec 12, 2011, 09:59 AM
Can someone clue me in about RecoveryDiskAssistant? I tried to use it to make a USB thumb drive with a recovery partition, thinking I would install a basic Lion system on the drive too, with only Disk Warrior added, just in case the internal drive on the Mac Mini 2011 went south.
After running RecoveryDiskAssistant, the drive was seen in Disk Utility, no partition seen, but with the same remaining space as the drive had right after I formatted it (GUID partition). Can I just make a partition and still retain the hidden Recovery partition? Or will partitioning the USB drive erase the recovery partition? Apple's documents are not so clear on this (at least I cannot find any explanation about it.

it makes a recovery partition that allows you to, download and install Lion, it does not contain a full retail version of Lion

davidlv
Dec 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
it makes a recovery partition that allows you to, download and install Lion, it does not contain a full retail version of Lion
Yes, I know what it does, read the OP. Your answer ignores my question.
What I want is a recovery partition and a minimal Lion installed on the 16GB thumb drive. Assuming this app is not the tool to get that, but the point is after running it, the remaining size was identical to what is was prior to running the app. So is that Recovery partition so small?

heisenberg123
Dec 12, 2011, 02:40 PM
Yes, I know what it does, read the OP. Your answer ignores my question.
What I want is a recovery partition and a minimal Lion installed on the 16GB thumb drive. Assuming this app is not the tool to get that, but the point is after running it, the remaining size was identical to what is was prior to running the app. So is that Recovery partition so small?

well i cant see it being that large its really is just a menu screen to walk you through downloading Lion

when done making it, plug it in restart your mac and when you hear the chime hit option, you will see if you have the option to boot from the recovery partition