PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Fans Getting Loud During Skype/Video

thriii
Dec 12, 2011, 12:39 PM
My macbook air is fairly new so I havent had to much time to use it but one of the things I notices is how loud the fans get when I'm using skype or playing a movie on it after a period of time. It seems it gets hot right above the ESC, F2, F3, F4 Keys..

Is this normal?

Any way to lower the temperature so It's not so hot?

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
My macbook air is fairly new so I havent had to much time to use it but one of the things I notices is how loud the fans get when I'm using skype or playing a movie on it after a period of time. It seems it gets hot right above the ESC, F2, F3, F4 Keys..

Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro (http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps such as Skype will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964). PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4543)
Apple Portables: Operating temperature (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778)

johnhurley
Dec 12, 2011, 01:24 PM

As noted earlier the fans spin faster when the system is under load. Certain apps and high usage things heat up the system ( video's for example ).

A couple of things:

1) If not using one already a lap desk of some kind or keeping your mba on a level surface is a good idea.

2) You can get a cooler that goes underneath or use some kind of fan to cool the whole system. Again temps will rise and fans will kick in but there are some things you can do externally if you choose.

3) As noted already there are utilities to look at temp and fan speed.

convergent
Dec 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yep, its normal.

maril1111
Dec 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
100% normal, it would be a problem if they wouldn't.

CyrusKafaiWu
Dec 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
Normal. But i find it mostly happens due to the client.

FaceTime seems to run perfectly well without getting warm or a fan on.
MSN lasts like 3 minutes before a fan.
Skype, I can last about 20-30 minutes before a fan turns on.

jamesr19
Dec 12, 2011, 07:41 PM
Skype is written badly and uses the fans extensively..it happens in all MacBook configurations although more noticeable on the MBA due to the smaller fans. It's been a problem since v2.5 on mac

nebrot
Dec 12, 2011, 08:03 PM

Is this normal?

If your Air is new just make sure you got all updates installed. When I used Skype before the EFI update came out the fan went quickly and within 3-5 minutes to 6000rpm. After the update and same Skype version I agree with other poster, it takes about 15 minutes and gets to around 3500-4000rpm. Its now something I can live with.