PDA

View Full Version : Share of Tablet Owners Utilizing Cellular Connectivity Declining

MacRumors
Dec 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/12/share-of-tablet-owners-utilizing-cellular-connectivity-declining/)

Research firm NPD today announced (http://www.connected-intelligence.com/111212-tablet-cellular-connections-losing-out-to-wi-fi.php) the results of its latest survey of tablet and notebook usage trends, finding that the share of tablet users taking advantage of cellular connectivity for their devices has declined compared to earlier this year. According to NPD's numbers, 60% of users reported using their tablets on Wi-Fi only back in April, but that number has risen to 65% over the past six months."There are multiple reasons for greater Wi-Fi reliance," said Eddie Hold, vice president, Connected Intelligence. "Concern over the high cost of cellular data plans is certainly an issue, but more consumers are finding that Wi-Fi is available in the majority of locations where they use their tablets, providing them 'good enough' connectivity. In addition, the vast majority of tablet users already own a smartphone, which fulfills the 'must have' connectivity need."

There are also many more tablets hitting the market that do not provide cellular connectivity, such as the Kindle Fire. While many early adopters opted for tablets with embedded cellular - primarily as a "future proof" play - mainstream consumers are more likely to choose a lower price point and forgo the promise of constant connectivity.Apple's iPad is the dominant product in the tablet market, and 3G-compatible models continue to carry a $130 premium over their Wi-Fi-only counterparts. While carriers have attempted to make data access for tablets flexible by offering as-needed access without the need for a data contract, cellular data service is still not a major add-on for most consumers. With the growing prevalence of Wi-Fi and features such as mobile hotspot functionality on smartphones, it is becoming less common for users to require on-board cellular data connectivity for their tablet devices.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/npd_cellular_adoption.jpg

One development that could increase cellular data usage is shared data plans (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/07/shared-data-plans-likely-coming-to-verizon-in-2012/), which could allow users to draw from a single allotment of data on multiple devices. Such plans could make it easier for tablet users to sign up for occasional data usage on their tablets drawn from their current smartphone data plans, without incurring a full month's data charge for the tablet alone.

Article Link: Share of Tablet Owners Utilizing Cellular Connectivity Declining (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/12/share-of-tablet-owners-utilizing-cellular-connectivity-declining/)

chrmjenkins
Dec 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
Since they aren't tied to contract, more and more people are realizing it isn't worth it and bailing. Makes sense and I think shared data plans are the way to tackle it. Carriers will have to structure it carefully to actually make it attractive though.

tempusfugit
Dec 12, 2011, 01:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Tablet data plans are annoyingly expensive. Like my $20/1 gig plan on my VZW ipad2.

It's so annoying that technology is finally here to do so many amazing things remotely, and now people have to worry about caps on their phone, tablet, and home Internet connection (I'm talking to you Comcast, who keeps raising my Internet speeds and keeping my bandwidth cap the same)

Cloud computing is definitely on the rise but has the hurdle of the bandwidth cap to get over before it reaches it's true potential.

I use Netflix a lot, and other streaming services as well. I even tried onlive's cloud gaming platform. All of this is impressive technology, but now I'm literally counting bytes to make sure I don't get pounded by overages or removed from concast's service for going over 250gb in a month.

Bandwidth NEEDS to get cheaper somehow, because we are fast approaching a bottleneck.

On another note, public wifi is rarely faster than my ATT 3G, so screw that sentiment of "theres wifi everywhere anyway" because it sucks, lacks security, and is slow.

Amazing Iceman
Dec 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
I think that those still using Cell connectivity may have a Unlimited Data Plan (like I have from AT&T), and don't want to loose it.

Another reason could be that those users also have a phone (iPhone, perhaps) with a Data Plan, so they don't really depend on the iPad and can wait for a WiFi connection.

redscull
Dec 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
Family data is the only way I'd consider a cellular tablet. I don't see how that isn't obvious to basically everyone, whether that's consumers, marketers, device makers, or whomever. We already have smartphones with data plans. It just doesn't make sense to pay twice. Duh.

Mess
Dec 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
I tether my ipad to my iphone... :cool:

:p

RalfTheDog
Dec 12, 2011, 02:12 PM
My first iPad was ripped off on a train trip across the country. I could not use, Find My iPhone due to it's lack of 3g. My current iPad does have 3g for no other reason than the ability to track it down. (I do use 3g when on long trips, but that is not the primary reason.)

r-m
Dec 12, 2011, 02:13 PM
What a load of rubbish!
I wonder if MyFi and other devices like those were included in the "wifi only" classification?
It wouldn't have surprised me if a big reason is because of the ridiculous 3G restrictions still in place on some apps!

So annoying watching poor quality Youtube videos, no streaming in certain apps, restricted functionality in certain apps, etc, just because it's over 3G.
Especially when that same 3G connection is used in the personal wifi hotspot devices and the iPad is then connected to "wifi" and those restrictions don't exist on that same connection as your buddy's 3G iPad!!!

Apple should make "My3G" part of iOS - give users the option to enable/disable 3G/Wifi detection in apps - I know my data limit, let us worry about that rather than babying everybody.
The 3G restrictions are the one thing that would push me to Wifi connectivity only on my iPad, but I hate the thought of having to carry something extra (3G wifi hotspot device) with me all the time (or at least whenever I think I'll need to get online...).

Anyway... rant over.
Thank god for My3G and jailbreaking.

My first iPad was ripped off on a train trip across the country. I could not use, Find My iPhone due to it's lack of 3g. My current iPad does have 3g for no other reason than the ability to track it down. (I do use 3g when on long trips, but that is not the primary reason.)

That too! A friend of mine got mugged whilst walking the dog in a park, iPad in her bag. Wifi only so couldn't track it.

baryon
Dec 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
I don't have an iPad, but I wouldn't really be able to use the WiFi only version since not only can I not have WiFi at home, but mostly I'd want to check maps on the go and communicated with people whenever and wherever I can… And over the years of owning an iPod Touch I have learned the hard way that there is no such thing as free WiFi, and even places that offer it require you to fill out a survey and then redirect you to a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" or something.

A Tablet being portable, it simply must be useable everywhere, for me. But the issue is that I hate contracts, especially if you're already paying for your smartphone, home internet, etc…

I think that in the future, like in 5 years, there will be a solution to this, and there will be some sort of internet network broadcasted everywhere in the world just like TV and Radio, and you'll pay for it and you'll be able to use it anywhere in the world for any device you own, just like a gmail account.

2 Replies
Dec 12, 2011, 02:26 PM
The main reason to use cell data is when you're on the go (not stationary) near an available wifi signal.
And since tablets are less mobile than their smaller mobile brethren, once the novelty wears off owners will be less likely to carry the non-pocketable toy around with them.

skellener
Dec 12, 2011, 02:31 PM
Paying for data per device is ridiculous. Imagine if you had separate water bills per sink, toilet, shower in the house. Or separate electrical bills for every device. Or if they charged you per device for cable.....ooops, wait a minute....

When you sign up with a carrier, you should pay one fee for access to the network with whatever devices you like. It shouldn't matter. Why should it matter whether I connect to AT&T on an iPhone or an iPad? Why should it matter if I share my connection from my iPhone, to my iPad?? It's the same data. It's the same connection.

$30 a month to share your connection from your phone to your Mac or iPad? Or another $20 just to connect your 3G iPad to the same network as your phone? Of course nobody wants to pay for those ridiculous data plans the carriers offer.

nagromme
Dec 12, 2011, 02:52 PM
I bet a lot of people got 3G iPads “just in case,” and then did try it out for a time since a month or two isn’t much cost; knowing, though, that in future they might reactivate it rarely or never. And that plan has proven true: they just don’t need it much.

AppleDroid
Dec 12, 2011, 03:02 PM
Maybe they allowed us to add the iPad to our current plan for a minimal $10 fee (like adding another phone to your account) which isn't limited to a paltry 1GB/month then it would take off.

Rodimus Prime
Dec 12, 2011, 03:06 PM
This is kind of a well duh result.
The 3G part for tablets hell all data plans is a rip off as you have to pay for each device and it is not like they are sucking down an insane amount of data.

I would go wifi only with a tablet. It is not like I am outside the range of wifi that often.

*LTD*
Dec 12, 2011, 03:26 PM
I tether my ipad to my iphone... :cool:

:p

Yep, one of the few ways I like sticking it to Rogers, though with their prices they still win in the end. :/

wikus
Dec 12, 2011, 03:47 PM
Could it be because tablets are gimmicks?

----------

Yep, one of the few ways I like sticking it to Rogers, though with their prices they still win in the end. :/

If you really wanted to stick to Rogers, you'd call them and give them the finger and sign up with a carrier that isnt part of the Rogers subsidiary (Wind, Mobilicity, Public, etc).

Kaibelf
Dec 12, 2011, 04:11 PM

No, it's because people don't see the value in spending an extra $100+ to have an antenna feature to let them pay an addition monthly fee to get to use the web, when they already pay a fee for supposedly "unlimited" data on their other device. No one likes to be nickeled and dimed.

aristotle
Dec 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
I also tether my iPad 2 from my iPhone 4S. I have Telus as a carrier and there is no extra charge required for tethering.

My iPad 1 was a 3G model but I decided to go with Wifi only this time as I was planning on getting the successor to the iPhone 4 and tether with that.

My previous iPhone was a 3GS which did not allow Wifi tethering unless if you jailbroke it and then installed a thirdparty app from Cydia.

That would have been too much hassle for me.

BC2009
Dec 12, 2011, 04:32 PM
I buy the iPad 3G data plan about 3 months out of the year (when I am traveling). I would prefer a shared data plan. The only other reason I have the 3G iPad 2 is so I can have GPS functionality on it as well to support all apps.

I just find that 95% of the time, I don't need 3G access on my iPad since the places I am going have WiFi. And if I really need it, I can always buy it on the spot when I get there.

If Apple made an iPad that had GPS without 3G, then I would probably buy that unless the carriers came up with a good shared data package. The problem I find with using the iPhone or any MiFi device is that the iPad 2's battery can outlast anything else and I have no interest in draining my iPhone to zero so I can surf on my iPad. Nor do I want to carry a separate MiFi device that cannot keep up with the iPad 2's battery anyway.

*LTD*
Dec 12, 2011, 04:44 PM

----------

If you really wanted to stick to Rogers, you'd call them and give them the finger and sign up with a carrier that isnt part of the Rogers subsidiary (Wind, Mobilicity, Public, etc).

I also get unparalleled service quality and uptime with Rogers. A lot of those budget services don't compare.

Ugg
Dec 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
I bet a lot of people got 3G iPads “just in case,” and then did try it out for a time since a month or two isn’t much cost; knowing, though, that in future they might reactivate it rarely or never. And that plan has proven true: they just don’t need it much.

But when they do it's priceless. A wifi iPad is only good when there's wifi around.

No, it's because people don't see the value in spending an extra $100+ to have an antenna feature to let them pay an addition monthly fee to get to use the web, when they already pay a fee for supposedly "unlimited" data on their other device. No one likes to be nickeled and dimed.

I wonder if this reduction in usage will lead Apple to reduce the price. $130 seems like a lot of money.

I buy the iPad 3G data plan about 3 months out of the year (when I am traveling). I would prefer a shared data plan. The only other reason I have the 3G iPad 2 is so I can have GPS functionality on it as well to support all apps.

I just find that 95% of the time, I don't need 3G access on my iPad since the places I am going have WiFi. And if I really need it, I can always buy it on the spot when I get there.

If Apple made an iPad that had GPS without 3G, then I would probably buy that unless the carriers came up with a good shared data package. The problem I find with using the iPhone or any MiFi device is that the iPad 2's battery can outlast anything else and I have no interest in draining my iPhone to zero so I can surf on my iPad. Nor do I want to carry a separate MiFi device that cannot keep up with the iPad 2's battery anyway.

I don't have an iPad yet. I'm waiting for #3. However, my needs closely mirror yours. I won't need 3G on a regular basis, but when I do need it, I'll NEED it. GPS is necessary and having a large screen will be incredible.

I have Virgin Mobile's $25 a month plan on my android phone. I don't like android but I also don't want to pay $100 a month for a service I don't need. The additional $25 a month for 3 or 4 months a year won't be a huge burden at all.

I have a friend who is a field supervisor for an agricultural company. They've issued him an iPad and all the info he enters into it and all the photos he takes are automatically transmitted to the head office via 3G. I think for businesses like his, 3G is priceless and demand will remain strong.

hugo7
Dec 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
According to NPD's numbers, 60% of users...

What are those numbers? What was the sample set? 60% of how many users? How many devices are WIFI-only? This article is a load of crap. Sure, it may be a true trend that tablet owners are foregoing cellular connectivity, but that's not well-supported by the shown statistics. And what exactly is "none"? What are those users typically doing?

This article is so weak.

skellener
Dec 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
I buy the iPad 3G data plan about 3 months out of the year (when I am traveling). I would prefer a shared data plan. The only other reason I have the 3G iPad 2 is so I can have GPS functionality on it as well to support all apps. If you tether your iPad to your iPhone, it will use the GPS data from the iPhone.

JAT
Dec 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
I know many with tablets, mostly iPads. One of them is using 3G. While she has a work laptop, she has never bothered with internet access at home, so the iPad is now her main computing device and she can use it anywhere.

I do know others with 3G models, but not using it.

wikus
Dec 12, 2011, 10:21 PM
I also get unparalleled service quality and uptime with Rogers. A lot of those budget services don't compare.

I've been with Wind since August. I pay $39.55 after taxes. I have UNLIMITED data, unlimited local and canada wide long distance, unlimited canada wide text messaging and voice mail.

This is what Wind speeds are capable of when tethered to my HTC Panache via wifi;

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1463880052.png

This is what others are capable of getting;

St. Catharines:
http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73918&d=1318100607

Kitchener:
http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73930&d=1318127878

Toronto:
http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75657&d=1322646483

Being a Rogers or Bell is nothing to be proud of. Their duopoly in Canada has stifled so much potential. Their bandwidth caps are some of the worst in the world and Canadians also pay for the highest prices in all developed nations in the world.

Do yourself and the rest of Canada a favour and quit Rogers.

*LTD*
Dec 12, 2011, 10:42 PM
I've been with Wind since August. I pay $39.55 after taxes. I have UNLIMITED data, unlimited local and canada wide long distance, unlimited canada wide text messaging and voice mail.

This is what Wind speeds are capable of when tethered to my HTC Panache via wifi;

Image (http://www.speedtest.net/result/1463880052.png)

St. Catharines:
Image (http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73918&d=1318100607)

Kitchener:
Image (http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73930&d=1318127878)

Toronto:
Image (http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75657&d=1322646483)

Being a Rogers or Bell is nothing to be proud of. Their duopoly in Canada has stifled so much potential. Their bandwidth caps are some of the worst in the world and Canadians also pay for the highest prices in all developed nations in the world.

Hmmm . . . interesting.

I might just give retention a call. They might even cave and throw me a great deal. But that $39.95 figure looks pretty good. With Rogers I get nearly 40mbps down, though (cable internet.) I suppose I can downgrade some without noticing too much.

On the mobile side, yes, I can certainly see myself switching. Hopefully the leaner and meaner competition supports iPhone features like Visual VoiceMail, etc. Though I doubt that sort of thing is carrier specific . . .

cvaldes
Dec 12, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'm one of them.

I bought the original iPad in October 2010 and upgraded to the iPad 2 this year (the original iPad was gifted to a family member), so I've had an iPad for about 14 months. I bought the entry level 3G data package just twice, both times while traveling and finding myself in a place with spotty WiFi availability.

The second time, I was three-quarters through the month when my iPad 2 was delivered; I just switched micro SIMs and my new tablet picked up where I had left off with 3G data.

I only wish that the iPad would accept a GoPhone SIM (the one in my iPhone) so I could use the data when absolutely necessary on the iPad.

It's nice to have the GPS chip in my 3G iPad. Don't want to give that up.

ZipZap
Dec 13, 2011, 04:51 AM
What are those numbers? What was the sample set? 60% of how many users? How many devices are WIFI-only? This article is a load of crap. Sure, it may be a true trend that tablet owners are foregoing cellular connectivity, but that's not well-supported by the shown statistics. And what exactly is "none"? What are those users typically doing?

This article is so weak.

You may think its weak, but I have no doubt that data usage is down and will continue to fall.

Carrier networks are shoddy at best and its no wonder they charge what they do. They have to limit use, their networks can handle unlimited data for all.

nick_elt
Dec 13, 2011, 06:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mmm what do ppl do with an ipad who doesnt use wifi or 3g at all as shown in that chart?? Im sure you can get cheaper and smaller calculators from casio....

Stella
Dec 13, 2011, 09:00 AM
I too can vouch for Wind - same plan too. Cheap and yet, on my experience, very reliable. I just wish Wind came earlier. Previously I've tried Bell and Rogers - both piss poor companies who haven't a clue. Only thing they are good at is ripping off the consumer. ( Due to my job, I still have a Rogers plan for the iPhone , but I'm not paying for the contract )

On a very regular basis I'm tethering my other phone ( unfortunately, iPhone isn't penter band - spelling) to my computer for internet access while out. Works great. If I had a tablet I'd do the same. I wouldn't bother with a SIM version. I have a backup power pack for my other phone so won't run out of battery soon due to the amount of tethering.

In Canada, data plans need quite a price drop. Still, way too expensive on ROBELUS.

Image (http://www.speedtest.net/result/1463880052.png)

St. Catharines:
Image (http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73918&d=1318100607)

Kitchener:
Image (http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73930&d=1318127878)

Toronto:
Image (http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75657&d=1322646483)

Mark Booth
Dec 13, 2011, 10:07 AM
The day that Apple offers a model of the MacBook Air with built-in 3G capability and a pay-as-needed data plan (like the one found on the 3G iPad) is the day that I will walk into an Apple Store and buy a brand new MacBook Air.

I RARELY find myself in a circumstance where I want to use my MacBook Pro and don't have access to a WiFi network. However, on those few occasions when I do find myself in need of 3G, it would be awesome to be able to buy just one month (or 1GB) of data and not be stuck to some longterm contract.

A MacBook Air with such capability would suit my needs FAR more than an iPad would. That is the main reason I haven't purchased an iPad yet.

Mark

GSPice
Dec 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
If this data is consistent, I like it because it might call AT&T's bluff as they promote their wi-fi hotspots. In other words:

a) Smartphone/tablet users load up AT&T's cellular network
b) AT&T scrambles to block/cap/charge extra for data, and desperately encourages customers to use "free" and "fast" wi-fi hotspots
c) Smartphone/tablet users increasingly rely on wi-fi
d) AT&T whistles past their 3G graveyard

So AT&T wins by pulling the wi-fi quarter out of customers' ears, while pick-pocketing 3G.

The article might call AT&T's bluff by showing that poor AT&T, beat down by all those "gluttonous" mobile users, will do nothing to improve their 3G speed/quality/coverage/pricing even as users shift to wi-fi.

Feel free to replace "AT&T" with the wireless carrier of your choice.

Bregalad
Dec 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
Despite all the talk about portability most tablets never leave the living room, something I predicted when the iPad was first announced. Those who have integrated tablets into a more portable lifestyle use them in places with WiFi or tether them to a 3G device like an iPhone.

Try walking down the street using your tablet, try using it standing on the subway being jostled by fellow passengers, try simply holding it in one hand for more than 5 minutes, and where are you going to put it while standing in line at the grocery store... it's simply not practical as a go-everywhere device so it doesn't need go-everywhere connectivity.

I think this data says something about the possibility of a MacBook Air with built-in 3G. While there is certainly some demand for such a product it's probably not nearly as big as supporters think it is.

I don't want a tablet, 3G or not, because they're all too big to go everywhere. I'd be perfectly happy with a 4.5" screen, but the cell phone companies won't sell just data for a smartphone. They insist on bundling voice and data into packages that either skimp on the data or cost a fortune and include way more minutes than I'll ever use.

I've worked out a package that I'd like a cell phone company to offer. It's my current pre-paid minutes plan plus a pre-paid iPad data plan together on a smartphone of my choosing. I'll bring an unlocked phone so the carrier doesn't have to pay Apple, HTC or Samsung a penny. But nobody will do it.

So I live without mobile data and my cell phone provider gets a small fraction of the money they could be getting from me. It's almost as if they don't like money.

csjcsj
Dec 13, 2011, 02:29 PM
people who don't use G3 have never been stuck in DFW for hours, where there is no free wi-fi, only free ethernet. Anybody make an ethernet adapter for the iPad? (rhetorical - I wouldn't get one if it did exist)

wikus
Dec 13, 2011, 05:48 PM
I think this data says something about the possibility of a MacBook Air with built-in 3G.

The next batch of Macbook Pros should have that capability. Wireless data everywhere on the go on a REAL computer for REAL work? Yes please. Not everyone needs or even wants to be at a starbucks to get work done.

mingoglia
Dec 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
I wonder if some of the decline could be due to a decline in tablet use outside of the home? For example, I have a 3G iPad (which admittedly I still pay the $20/mo for data) and for a solid year I had that thing everywhere with me. Since I use it to stay connected with work I had it everywhere with me. I'm in the Internet business so connectivity is important. Eventually I just started using the iPhone. I found that although the screen was (obviously) much smaller, it was so much more convenient to carry around. I started within the past couple months carrying my iPad out of the house less and less. It now just sits on my counter and I plug it in to charge it every now and then just to keep it topped off. If I use it at all it's just for around the house "surfing" which can be done on my home wireless.

Could the novelty of the iPad have warn off with some of the users that have had them awhile?

Mike

Amazing Iceman
Dec 14, 2011, 09:45 AM
I wonder if some of the decline could be due to a decline in tablet use outside of the home? For example, I have a 3G iPad (which admittedly I still pay the $20/mo for data) and for a solid year I had that thing everywhere with me. Since I use it to stay connected with work I had it everywhere with me. I'm in the Internet business so connectivity is important. Eventually I just started using the iPhone. I found that although the screen was (obviously) much smaller, it was so much more convenient to carry around. I started within the past couple months carrying my iPad out of the house less and less. It now just sits on my counter and I plug it in to charge it every now and then just to keep it topped off. If I use it at all it's just for around the house "surfing" which can be done on my home wireless.

Could the novelty of the iPad have warn off with some of the users that have had them awhile?

Mike

IMO, those with both an iPad and iPhone decided to just have 3G data on the iPhone, just what happened to you, and may happen to me once I get an iPhone.
There are lots of places that offer free WiFi (Starbuck's, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Denny's, etc), even some cities too, so the 'absolute' need for 3G has now become 'optional'.

----------

Not everyone needs or even wants to be at a starbucks to get work done.

I wouldn't mind at all!!! :D