PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Dog on your Mac?

maxvamp
May 28, 2005, 12:43 AM
Hey folks...

I was wondering who here is running Linux on their Mac? What are the pros and cons you have found?

Here is what I have found so far. ( Running iMac 233 w/160 MB of memory )

Pros:
- Snappier than OSX
- VNC runs very well
- Stable
- Smaller memory footprint

Cons:
- Some RPMs available only as x86 binary
- GUI Help system really sux, and Man pages aren't always right.

Max.

CanadaRAM
May 28, 2005, 01:45 AM
Yellow Dog on your Mac?

No, but a black cat often is... :D

toothpaste
May 28, 2005, 02:25 AM
Try gentoo ppc. Its pretty good and has good documentation.

iMeowbot
May 28, 2005, 02:37 AM
This, in my case, was the insurmountable flaw.
This, on the other hand, is to be expected with Linux, so it didn't much bother me :D

I actually reformatted some Linux partitions back to HFS+ the other day, realizing that I simply wasn't using them any more. The fink library grew to the point that I wasn't missing anything on OS X, and the selection of native OS X software is much better now too. That's all for desktop, though; I'd still at least consider PPC Linux if setting up a new swerver.

TrenchMouth
May 29, 2005, 12:03 PM
i am running YD4.0 on my 500mhz iBook. it works fine. snappy and simple, but there are plenty of missing features, and it has been rather sketchy working with the airport card. there have also been a few gui glitches that were annoying. on the whole, its good, but there must be a better linux flavor out there for the max, and if there isnt, well i still like os x better anyway.

i have heard good things about ubuntu, but again, many linux flavors are lacking in features for ppc. this is yet a nother area where x86 has a bit more support, to my knowledge at least.

ewinemiller
May 29, 2005, 01:26 PM
Hey folks...

I was wondering who here is running Linux on their Mac? What are the pros and cons you have found?

Here is what I have found so far. ( Running iMac 233 w/160 MB of memory )

Pros:
- Snappier than OSX
- VNC runs very well
- Stable
- Smaller memory footprint

Cons:

Max.

I tried Yellow Dog on the same machine about 3 years ago. Everything seemed to install okay, but the display was about .5" off the left side of the screen. Since I couldn't find a way to adjust it, I formatted the drive, listed it in the paper and sold it.

I'm close to buying a new G5 and the dual 800 I'm using now is going to kids, but I'm thinking about making it dual boot to some linux or another just to putter. Anyone have any suggestions which distro would support a dual 800 quicksilver well?

toothpaste
May 29, 2005, 01:31 PM
i am running YD4.0 on my 500mhz iBook. it works fine. snappy and simple, but there are plenty of missing features, and it has been rather sketchy working with the airport card. there have also been a few gui glitches that were annoying. on the whole, its good, but there must be a better linux flavor out there for the max, and if there isnt, well i still like os x better anyway.

i have heard good things about ubuntu, but again, many linux flavors are lacking in features for ppc. this is yet a nother area where x86 has a bit more support, to my knowledge at least.

www.gentoo.org

much better than yellow dog

tag
May 29, 2005, 01:47 PM
Speaking of linux on Mac hardware. I just got some Ubuntu linux cd's in the mail. The CD's for Intel x86 PCs come with a live CD, which let's you boot directly from the CD using just your RAM for storage and swap space, therefor you don't have to install anything.

I noticed though that the Ubuntu CD's for PowerPC's doesn't have a live CD and can only install it. Does anyone know if this is because they just didn't make one, or is it not possible for Macs to run an OS by just using the CD and RAM? Was really hoping to try out linux on a Mac without having to do the whole partitioning and install thing.

colosodian
May 29, 2005, 02:22 PM
Fedora core 4 comes out june 6th and has a ppc install.

*Y*
May 29, 2005, 02:50 PM
Speaking of linux on Mac hardware. I just got some Ubuntu linux cd's in the mail. The CD's for Intel x86 PCs come with a live CD, which let's you boot directly from the CD using just your RAM for storage and swap space, therefor you don't have to install anything.

I noticed though that the Ubuntu CD's for PowerPC's doesn't have a live CD and can only install it. Does anyone know if this is because they just didn't make one, or is it not possible for Macs to run an OS by just using the CD and RAM? Was really hoping to try out linux on a Mac without having to do the whole partitioning and install thing.

I don't know why they didn't send you a live cd but they do have one on their website. I have downloaded it before and it worked flawlessly on my eMAc.