PDA

View Full Version : Full Screen Youtube button doesn't work in Safari

Nosrettap
Dec 12, 2011, 11:53 PM
I recently upgraded to OS X Lion and now the youtube full screen button in the lower right hand corner of the video does not work. Such as on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbxt7IZwx94

It works in other web browsers, namely Chrome, but it doesn't work in Safari. Note, I noticed this about the time Youtube updated their website so it may be an issue with youtube rather than my browser.

Help please!

lotones
Dec 13, 2011, 12:37 AM
I've been getting the same thing just recently. This just started this week, as far as I can tell. It may be a YouTube thing.

Comeagain?
Dec 13, 2011, 01:03 AM
According to the YouTube site, you need to use your browsers full screen function for true full screen. (the arrows in the corner of safari. )

LastZion
Dec 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
That still doesn't work (full screen safari on and full screen button doesn't work)

Pyrhonen
Dec 24, 2011, 07:43 PM
I works with no problem for me. :rolleyes:

thundersteele
Dec 24, 2011, 10:13 PM
are you (those who have problems) using the html5 mode of youtube?

pcgeek12345
Dec 24, 2011, 10:30 PM
I've been getting the same thing just recently. This just started this week, as far as I can tell. It may be a YouTube thing.

Same here.

deziac
Dec 29, 2011, 11:27 AM
I had this same annoying frustration for the past few weeks. I too began to have issues when Youtube upgraded their website.
Anyhow, after numerous attempts to delete and reinstall Safari and Adobe Flash w/ no success, I just dealt w/ it and settled for pressing control and popping out the video to enable fullscreen. Nevertheless, this was still very annoying...
That being said, today I tried harder to find a solution to solve the problem. I found out that Youtube and their experimentation w/ html5 automatically selects the trial of use of html when visiting if your pc or mac and browser meets their criteria.
To get to the point and the solution, just visit the link provided below and select to turn off the html5 trial.

This should solve all problems that many of us have been experiencing.

Michaelgtrusa
Jan 2, 2012, 04:54 AM
I had this same annoying frustration for the past few weeks. I too began to have issues when Youtube upgraded their website.
Anyhow, after numerous attempts to delete and reinstall Safari and Adobe Flash w/ no success, I just dealt w/ it and settled for pressing control and popping out the video to enable fullscreen. Nevertheless, this was still very annoying...
That being said, today I tried harder to find a solution to solve the problem. I found out that Youtube and their experimentation w/ html5 automatically selects the trial of use of html when visiting if your pc or mac and browser meets their criteria.
To get to the point and the solution, just visit the link provided below and select to turn off the html5 trial.

This should solve all problems that many of us have been experiencing.

Same here. What link?

roadbloc
Jan 2, 2012, 05:27 AM
I works with no problem for me. :rolleyes:I guess that means nobody has the problem then. :roll eyes:

I've been having this problem for quite a while now. I get the feeling it might be something to do with flash.

Michaelgtrusa
Jan 2, 2012, 06:10 AM
I guess that means nobody has the problem then. :roll eyes:

I've been having this problem for quite a while now. I get the feeling it might be something to do with flash.

I have it with some pages.

thundersteele
Jan 2, 2012, 06:26 AM
did you notice that the solution was posted above?

It's youtubes html5 implementation to replace flash. You can deactivate it by going to

youtube.com/html5

Michaelgtrusa
Jan 2, 2012, 07:33 AM
did you notice that the solution was posted above?

It's youtubes html5 implementation to replace flash. You can deactivate it by going to

youtube.com/html5

I got, You are not currently in the HTML5 trial.

thundersteele
Jan 2, 2012, 03:26 PM
I got, You are not currently in the HTML5 trial.

Interesting. You do have flash installed, right? I don't have flash in Safari, I know the fullscreen doesn't work on those videos that play in html5. For flash vids I use chrome... not a great solution, but I prefer it this way.

Michaelgtrusa
Jan 2, 2012, 08:59 PM
Interesting. You do have flash installed, right? I don't have flash in Safari, I know the fullscreen doesn't work on those videos that play in html5. For flash vids I use chrome... not a great solution, but I prefer it this way.

Yes I have flash installed and the issue seems to have gone. Odd.

substance44
Feb 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
It's the html 5 issue. Just go to www.youtube.com/html5 and disable it.

mcmacker4
Oct 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
It's the html 5 issue. Just go to www.youtube.com/html5 and disable it.

That worked perfectly for me, thanks.

Nvpatfan
Oct 29, 2012, 04:10 AM
Still no success in getting YouTube videos to work. I did the HTML5 thing that didn't work any thing else!

matador1
Nov 7, 2012, 11:27 AM
Still no success in getting YouTube videos to work. I did the HTML5 thing that didn't work any thing else!

It didn't work for me either.

I updated to iOS6 and it removed Youtube app.
Since then I'm watching Youtube within the browser (Safari and Chrome) and it seems impossible to remove the address bar and make it full screen.
That's really annoying.
I also installed the official Youtube app. but I think it's for iphone originally and even if you make it 2X, it still is not in full screen.

My daughter gets crazy!
Any help (on full screen issue) will be highly appreciated.

UPDATE:
Here's the solution (in my case).
I ran the browser (Safari), went to youtube.com, and LOGGED IN to my youtube account.
Now I have the full screen back!

Tried it again without logging in >> the same thing = no full screen.

Hope this helps in your case too.

sinnersaint
Aug 8, 2013, 11:12 AM
Anybody got a working solution? Some videos work.. Some don't!