Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philspitler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I have an interesting problem.

I have an iTunes library that has movies and TV shows on it for my AppleTV, iPad and iPhone.

I have recently re-encoded a bunch of my movies and TV shows at a lower screen size and bit rate so that I can fit more on my iPad.

Now, I have the issue.

I don't want to add these to my existing iTunes library as the AppleTV will see double of each show, the high quality and the lower quality.

So, I created a 2nd iTunes Library using Libra, it is empty and I added all my low quality movies.

If i plug my iPad in though, it say that the pad is synced to another iTunes library and the only way to get the movies on there is to wipe it.

There "must" be a way to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Phil

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I have an interesting problem.

I have an iTunes library that has movies and TV shows on it for my AppleTV, iPad and iPhone.

I have recently re-encoded a bunch of my movies and TV shows at a lower screen size and bit rate so that I can fit more on my iPad.

Now, I have the issue.

I don't want to add these to my existing iTunes library as the AppleTV will see double of each show, the high quality and the lower quality.

So, I created a 2nd iTunes Library using Libra, it is empty and I added all my low quality movies.

If i plug my iPad in though, it say that the pad is synced to another iTunes library and the only way to get the movies on there is to wipe it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Phil

I don't know about movies and TV programs but photos are downsized by iTunes when they are transferred to the iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Unfortunately, there isn't. An iDevice can be synced to only one iTunes library.

I don't have an AppleTV, so I'm not sure how playlists work with AppleTV. But assuming playlists work with AppleTV, my suggestion is to keep all your movies in one iTunes library, then make a playlist with low-def versions of the movies and another playlist with the standard/high-def versions. Then set your iPad to sync only the low-def playlist, and when watching movies on your TV, select from the high-def playlist.

Hope that helps.

BTW, no need to sign forum posts, we can see who's posting by looking at the poster info coluumn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.