PDA

View Full Version : Lion has broken my system

iphoneZ
Dec 13, 2011, 01:40 AM
this is beyond frustrating. constant non-ending pinwheels, file system problems, dozens of other broken features like Word functionality and missing fonts, insanely slow /pinwheel syncing of iPhone. this is after a second clean install.

if you have snow leopard i advise DO NOT upgrade to Lion.

castillo4141
Dec 13, 2011, 01:44 AM
I've upgraded all of my machines, MPB2009, MPB2010, MB2007. Everything is fine on them. What system you install Lion on? After you reinstalled, did you install the Apple updates?

sweetbrat
Dec 13, 2011, 09:06 AM
this is beyond frustrating. constant non-ending pinwheels, file system problems, dozens of other broken features like Word functionality and missing fonts, insanely slow /pinwheel syncing of iPhone. this is after a second clean install.

if you have snow leopard i advise DO NOT upgrade to Lion.

Millions of people have moved to Lion and are enjoying it. You didn't provide much information about your computer system or your software. Are you looking for help in troubleshooting, or do you just want to complain about Lion?

If you want help, you need to provide more information. What version of Word are you using? Have you checked your Activity Monitor to see whats going on when you're getting beachballs? Are you running out of RAM and getting a lot of page outs? What kind of file system problems? More info will help others help you.

iphoneZ
Dec 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
yes the problems are so widespread and crippling that i have no idea where to start nor the time to diagnose them properly. unfortunately i should not have upgraded a system that i need for time critical projects

maybe once get some more time i will post additional details. activity monitor is a good place to start

thundersteele
Dec 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
yes the problems are so widespread and crippling that i have no idea where to start nor the time to diagnose them properly. unfortunately i should not have upgraded a system that i need for time critical projects

maybe once get some more time i will post additional details. activity monitor is a good place to start

Yeah, that's always a bad idea. When I have pressing deadlines, I don't even do security updates, and on top of that I try to have a backup system available.

It would help to know what macbook model you installed Lion on.

iphoneZ
Dec 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
it's a 15inch mbp mid 2010 with 2.66 i7 chip, 8 gb ram

during the initial install via app store something seemed to have gone wrong as many of the UI changes etc, did not take effect. (i did not notice this until later.) shortly after the install i experienced some hd failure when trying to wake the computer from sleep.

disk could not be repaired using the disk util so had to reformat and do a recovery install. (luckily I was able to get all files off to an external hd using the terminal, as i could still read everything off the disk but not write.)

some things i've noticed that always cause massive pinwheel / slowdowns are 1) writing to downloads folder, 2) plugging in iPhone and launching iPhoto

----------

was upgrading from snow leopard, which worked perfectly, always.

Guiyon
Dec 14, 2011, 05:13 AM
That sounds more like a failing hard drive than a botched Lion install. I'd double check that everything is backed up and get the HD checked out ASAP.

Patrick J
Dec 14, 2011, 06:50 AM
I started off quite happy with Lion. I installed it the day it came out, clean install.

Macbook Pro 2009 13, 320 GB hard drive.

Now, however, I am getting daily pinwheels for no reason. Safari is slow to launch, slow to exit, iTunes takes over 10 seconds sometimes to respond to play/back/forward keys.

I keep my system extremely clean, and never had any of these problems with Snow Leopard.

AdeFowler
Dec 14, 2011, 07:02 AM
My previously stable Lion installation on my Mac Pro went haywire yesterday. Finder windows wouldn't show up, Open/Save dialogue windows showed empty folders where previously all my work was saved (scary), and navigating the system was like wading through mud. A restart and some Onyx maintenance seems to have fixed things but it's a bit unsettling.