PDA

View Full Version : Why A Screen Protector?

krawfo
Dec 13, 2011, 05:49 AM
Forgive my simplistic question but I'm about to be a new convert to the iPad world. I see lots of discussions about which screen protector is best.
If the screen is glass, why does it need protection?

Bernard SG
Dec 13, 2011, 05:56 AM
Despite it's glass it can get scratches. Too bad for me I learned a little too late.
Screen protection is also easier to clean Re. fingerprints.

glen e
Dec 13, 2011, 08:35 AM
I used to use one to get rid of fingerprints - switched to using a stylus and now no film needed. My glass looks like the day I got it...no scratches...

takeshi74
Dec 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
Forgive my simplistic question but I'm about to be a new convert to the iPad world. I see lots of discussions about which screen protector is best.
Please read the threads as they endlessly rehash all this.

1. It doesn't need a screen protector. Whether one uses a screen protector or not is a matter of personal preference.
2. Glass is not unscratchable.

Additionally, some people prefer using screen protectors that offer privacy, antifingerprint and/or matte finishes, etc. Again, all this is covered in the countless existing screen protector threads.

nushieldguy
Dec 14, 2011, 08:32 AM
You probably don't need a film to protect against scratches, but you will find that if you take your iPad outside there is a tremendous amount of glare reflecting off the screen. NuShield makes an antireflective film that eliminates the glare and helps you see the screen instead of your reflection.

fishlove
Dec 15, 2011, 12:45 AM

Because glass is fragile, you need the screen protector to give your device enough protection in case you drop it or other...hahaha!!!:D

glen e
Dec 15, 2011, 12:08 PM
Because glass is fragile, you need the screen protector to give your device enough protection in case you drop it or other...hahaha!!!:D

drop it the right way - or many ways - and the film won't make a damn bit of difference...esp on the corners...

takeshi74
Dec 15, 2011, 02:10 PM
If you want impact protection don't count on a screen protector by itself.