Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Of course it's supposed to be a feature -- a feature which lets Microsoft and Microsoft alone dictate what software can be run on a PC. This goes back to the long dreaded "Palladium" security platform of theirs. Once the hardware truly becomes Windows-specific, no other software vendor will stand a chance of making any money. But hey, "users will reap the rewards of security" as the press will claim.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
DRM = bad idea!

DRM does nothing except have the big money makers feel secure that they're making all the money they can. It hurts the little guys and is a complete pain in the @ss to the rest of us.

Example:

Star Wars Episode III was released as a Bit Torrent hours before the opening of the movie. Did that hurt the bottom line? You tell me.

I saw a portion of the Torrent. The quality was awful. Not being a big fan, I was impressed enough to really WANT to see it at the theater (I was going to wait for the video to come out). So, Lucas is going to get my money because I caught a peek at an illegal download....go figure.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
that just eliminated the small insey wincey chance that i may ever buy an intel product, the low entry price point was slightly alluring with the pentium D, but i do have a fear of longhorn not letting you edit or duplicate anything copyright.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
Thank Goodness for AMD ...... :D

Hector u should be the last one even considering an Intel System , if u ever get any Intel Product I will never let you hear the end of it.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
"Sorry but Windows Longhorn has detected illegal activity. The police are outside your door currently. Please surrender peacefully. Thank you, the Palladium team."

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
"Sorry but Windows Longhorn has detected illegal activity. The police are outside your door currently. Please surrender peacefully. Thank you, the Palladium team."

This would be the real error message.

User clicks to download an illegal movie. Downloaded, he opens it and types in his username and password to run the file:

"Warning. Windows has detected illegal activity. Click Abort to end the program, Retry to see if we will catch that mistake again, or Cancel to continue running the program."

OPTIONS ARE: Ok

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
My last Intel box (Northwood 2.8 GHz... no Prescott or later for me thanks) is now my LAST Intel box.

Of course, I and a few others were saying this a year ago, but they called us paranoid. :rolleyes:

"A trusted resource is one that has the potential to break security." - The Pentagon, referring to the whole concept of trusted resources, computing or otherwise.

Think about the above statement. You will soon be trusting your computer (and by extension, MS). Previously, there was no need to trust it, because it couldn't break your security. And frankly, I don't trust or want to trust Microsoft or Intel.

Trusted Computing is, for you, LESS secure than what we have now.

For Microsoft and Intel, it's more secure, but I'd rather have ME be in control of my data, not Microsoft and Intel.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
jiggie2g said:
Thank Goodness for AMD ...... :D

Hector u should be the last one even considering an Intel System , if u ever get any Intel Product I will never let you hear the end of it.

i'm an SMP addict, and i cant afford an X2, my peltier failed and blew up my pc so i need a new rig, and the entry pentium D was not too much, but meh screw that now.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
Thomas Veil said:
Well, look at it this way: knowing this may help drive some people to the Mac platform. (Assuming Apple, God forbid, doesn't follow suit.)

You think it takes IBM a long time to churn out chips now, if Apple implemented this, all updates would be 18 months apart.

G5Zealot

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2005
Maybe MS should use DRM, and then they will go bankrupt because nobody will buy their computers - Natural Selection. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.