PDA

View Full Version : TopBrewer Coffee Faucet Controlled By An iPhone

MacRumors
Dec 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/13/topbrewer-coffee-faucet-controlled-by-an-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/doublewall.jpg

Danish company Scanomat has introduced the TopBrewer (http://www.scanomat.com/coffee-brewers/topbrewer), an iPhone-controlled coffee faucet. The tap is part of an advanced brewing system that can be built into any tabletop.

The company has patented the world's smallest milk foamer which heats milk on-demand and foams it to the correct texture. The brewer cleans itself after each cup, and can dispense drinking water, cold or hot milk, steam, or a wide variety of coffee drinks; all of which can be ordered up from an iOS app or a touch-screen panel built into the tabletop.
Envision being able to control your coffee machine with a device you already have in your pocket. With TopBrewer this is made possible with our smartphone application for your iPhone.

Quickly connect to the machine and select from the available drinks - or have your own favorite coffee pre-programmed and dispense it just the way YOU like it.

The app gives you full control of the machine and displays status messages when woken up from standby till it's ready to brew.

Have complete control of your TopBrewer and experience a new sensation when selecting your coffee. You can even explore our model lineup and order more coffee when you run out.XxVYe-TE2eU
Scanomat has not released pricing or availability information, but the TopBrewer (http://www.scanomat.com/coffee-brewers/topbrewer) appears to be aimed at offices and high-end luxury homes.

Article Link: TopBrewer Coffee Faucet Controlled By An iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/13/topbrewer-coffee-faucet-controlled-by-an-iphone/)

Shrink
Dec 13, 2011, 03:11 PM
And since it only costs $100, no one should be without it.:rolleyes:

parish
Dec 13, 2011, 03:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sent the link to my wife - not so subtle hint for a Christmas present :-)

nicky89
Dec 13, 2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, looks very nice=).

*LTD*
Dec 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Insanely cool.

mikethebigo
Dec 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

One step closer to the pomegranate phone.

http://pomegranatephone.com/

eenuuk
Dec 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The deviceis awesome but the iPhone bit is pointless! You have to go place your cup so why start the coffee on the phone instead of using the touchpad?!

parish
Dec 13, 2011, 03:46 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The deviceis awesome but the iPhone bit is pointless! You have to go place your cup so why start the coffee on the phone instead of using the touchpad?!

Not really. Put a cup on the machine before you go to bed. When you wake up, grab your iPhone, use the app to start brewing, and by the time you get to the kitchen there's a fresh coffee waiting for you :-)

morespce54
Dec 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
...Scanomat has not released pricing or availability information, but the TopBrewer (http://www.scanomat.com/coffee-brewers/topbrewer) appears to be aimed at offices and high-end luxury homes.

No kidding...:rolleyes:

You know that iOS is big when car manufacturers and now coffee makers promote their products as "being compatible with iDevices"...

wrinkster22
Dec 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
this + siri...
we are one our way to a siri automated life
(cars, coffee.. :) )

Sixtafoua
Dec 13, 2011, 03:49 PM
I don't like coffee, i'm more of a tea person, but this is so cool!!

cshearer
Dec 13, 2011, 03:51 PM
What now are uncreative baristas like me going to do if I can't barist?

morespce54
Dec 13, 2011, 03:55 PM

Dude, you're a barista...

(I don't know, try to buy a Samsung maybe ;))

nagromme
Dec 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
Not a big coffee drinker, but the more things in my life clean themselves, the better!

*LTD*
Dec 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
No kidding...:rolleyes:

You know that iOS is big when car manufacturers and now coffee makers promote their products as "being compatible with iDevices"...

Platinum-level mindshare is pretty much the Holy Grail in terms of brand-building.

visim91
Dec 13, 2011, 04:20 PM
Creme fraiche!

Fraaaa
Dec 13, 2011, 04:37 PM

Too bad I already planned to spend my money for a two-groups Adonis Victoria Arduino for my future office.

eenuuk
Dec 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
And it takes all of 10 seconds to pour.... Its a gimmick.

Not really. Put a cup on the machine before you go to bed. When you wake up, grab your iPhone, use the app to start brewing, and by the time you get to the kitchen there's a fresh coffee waiting for you :-)

Swift
Dec 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
Not a big coffee drinker, but the more things in my life clean themselves, the better!

What do you want to bet that that the "self-cleaning" can malfunction? That you will eventually open up something and find all kinds of things growing in it? Coffee stuff always gets messy and brown.

Laird Knox
Dec 13, 2011, 04:46 PM

Try applying for a job at Scanomat - they ship a barista inside every TopBrewer.

JTToft
Dec 13, 2011, 06:10 PM
That looks like a pretty elegant product, but I'm not sure how useful the iOS app is...

steve knight
Dec 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
it is pretty cool. I have a 20,00 cnc router I can control with my iphone. so I have it beat.

isaacdull
Dec 13, 2011, 09:16 PM
So you just have milk hanging out in the brewing system for who knows how long? YUM!

ntrigue
Dec 13, 2011, 09:34 PM
The love affair begins. I will go to the ends of the Earth for this.

TheRealTVGuy
Dec 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
At least this Scanomat product produces something that would appear to taste good.

Their machine for Nestle's freeze dried coffee product is horrible. Probably because it uses Nestle freeze dried coffee.

I like the fresh beans and the fact that it can clean itself for the most part. Trying to clean some of their other machines is a pain in the a-zass.

rstansby
Dec 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
So you just have milk hanging out in the brewing system for who knows how long? YUM!

Apparently you aren't aware of a recent invention called refrigeration.

princigalli
Dec 14, 2011, 01:45 AM
There are buttons on the coffee machine already. The time it takes to find your phone, launch the app and find the right key, someone else is already having breakfast in the kitchen with cappuccino and all.

It's a nice coffee machine but the iPhone thing is complete kitsch. But since the machine wants to head in that direction, why not add some 3D coffee pictures to view with glasses? So that you get a 3D reconstruction of what you're going to drink.

Progress is nice, but some things make us look stupid.

Fraaaa
Dec 14, 2011, 05:43 AM
There are buttons on the coffee machine already. The time it takes to find your phone, launch the app and find the right key, someone else is already having breakfast in the kitchen with cappuccino and all.

It's a nice coffee machine but the iPhone thing is complete kitsch. But since the machine wants to head in that direction, why not add some 3D coffee pictures to view with glasses? So that you get a 3D reconstruction of what you're going to drink.

Progress is nice, but some things make us look stupid.

Plus someone has to put a cup in there.

princigalli
Dec 14, 2011, 05:49 AM
Plus someone has to put a cup in there.

Exactly. The iPhone is not going to do it for you.

Michael73
Dec 14, 2011, 07:36 AM
I have to say that the TopBrewer is very elegant but it's aimed at a specific market. There are those that love coffee and those that love making coffee and there are people that are both. This is clearly aimed at those who love coffee.

I have a semi-commerical Rancilio espresso machine at home that is mated with a commercial grade coffee grinder. For years, I've also roasted my own green coffee beans to insure the highest level of freshness. There is a certain level enjoyment people derive from actually making the drink itself whether it be dosing, tamping, extracting, foaming, frothing or the art in the foam. It's these people that actually eschew most technology associated with coffee. I guess I'd count myself in this group. Heck, I own an 80 year old Cona vac pot brewer which requires lighting a denatured alcohol lamp to heat the water! :D I'll swear it makes the best cup of coffee in the world!

Bottom line - definitely a cool machine but for those that love to be a part of the process this is a fail.

mitup
Dec 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
This with Siri = Star Trek :D

"Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

Russell L
Dec 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
This gives new meaning to the phrase "that's great, but does it make coffee?"

carlgo
Dec 14, 2011, 01:18 PM
It would be fun for somebody to produce a virus for this app so that it would make all sorts of terrible drinks. Anyway, finally an excuse to buy a high-end house...

ihattwick
Dec 14, 2011, 02:36 PM
I think people are missing that this is made for commercial coffee houses. One of the marketing lines is that it lets baristas spend more time talking to customers. In that context, the barista gets the order, enters it on their ipad, talks to the customer (or gets the pastry whatever) until the coffee is ready, grabs the coffee and replaces the cup with a clean one for the next order, and gives the coffee to the customer. That's actually pretty sweet. While I doubt this will replace the starbucks barista, it might work really well for bars, restaurants, or boutique coffee shops.

Kissaragi
Dec 14, 2011, 04:45 PM
I think people are missing that this is made for commercial coffee houses. One of the marketing lines is that it lets baristas spend more time talking to customers. In that context, the barista gets the order, enters it on their ipad, talks to the customer (or gets the pastry whatever) until the coffee is ready, grabs the coffee and replaces the cup with a clean one for the next order, and gives the coffee to the customer. That's actually pretty sweet. While I doubt this will replace the starbucks barista, it might work really well for bars, restaurants, or boutique coffee shops.

It probably makes better coffee than starbucks to be fair.

iPadPublisher
Dec 15, 2011, 03:27 AM
I'll take one of these as close to immediately as possible thanks. Poor Keurig, never saw it coming!

mrpiii
Dec 15, 2011, 09:12 AM
I think the glass is the best art. Anyone recognize the manufacturer?

cr2
Dec 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
:)

Dhelsdon
Dec 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
It will be funny when someone thinks its a tap, then you open the app and pour boiling hot water on their hands.. I could see somebody trying to sue them over this..

Navdakilla
Dec 16, 2011, 09:34 AM
cool beans!

Mess
Dec 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
how do I buy?

revjoel
Dec 19, 2011, 05:53 PM
But will it blend? Oh, wait...:D