Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
Let's look at a few facts and events:

1) The Apple Switch campaign directly attacks Microsoft
2) Apple has hired people who are web browser developers
3) Apple has been becoming hostile toward Microsoft lately
4) Microsoft has made attacks on both the Macintosh and Linux
5) A majority of professional windows users are fed up with Microsoft's license schemes and business practices

From this I believe that Microsoft regards both Apple and open-source as serious threats, it is time that we accept this fact. We can also see that Apple smells the stench of death on Microsoft.

In the next 10 years we will most likely see an OS war to end all OS wars.

I say prepare yourselves, for Apple and Microsoft will become bitter rivals in the next few years.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
has any1 seen the new microsoft switch add? check out slashdot.org/apple They are talking about a freelance writer who switched from Mac to Windows. The pic they have of the switcher is on an internet modeling agency. Either she is as model and switcher or Microshaft made the story up, and purchased the pic. Also, other models from that agency are used on other micosoft.com pictures.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Big Balls, they got nerve to use a M$ intern to switch to M$ windows, Its heating up, but I can only for hope for apples and our sake we come out on top . But I feel privaledged to own a mac and see my mates suffer, but if apple rules M$, then I can't feel special for owning a mac and no longer will I recieve wows , but I suppose its for the greater good .

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
apple is not a threat to microsoft...come on, people ;)

but apple's moves in business sometimes seems like apple's worst enemy

their pricing scheme on the cube killed the product

charging for .mac is not a good idea

putting out apple stores to compete with its own independent stores may not be a good idea

sticking with motorola when motorola got stuck at 500 mhz for 18 months may not have been a good idea

not offering a two year warranty like everybody else lost a lot of extra revenue

the pricing on the ipod at its introduction was too high

spending eighteen months of time and money in research and development on the dalmation and flower power imacs was not the best idea

charging so much for jaguar may be very bad for apple...but we will have to see about that

buying a gulfstream jet for steve jobs and future apple ceos is not such a bright idea

maybe some of that money spent on unnecessary things could have gone into higher salaries to retain the best in silicon valley

and/or could be used to lower prices to increase volume of sales and increase market share and give more exposure of the mac to more people

any mba or mba student will tell you that steve jobs is the worst manager in high tech and possibly the worst manager in american corporate history...but at the same time, he is a marketing genius...those are two different skills and perhaps apple made a big mistake in making him the official ceo of apple...he did much better as the interim ceo of apple and since his stint as the official ceo, apple has gone way down in its valuation, market share, and has lost nearly forty percent of its cash reserves...apple is the favorite target of doomsday types in the wall street journal

hindsight is twenty-twenty but apple was a favorite target in business school and "the" model on how not to run a business:p

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Hmmmmmmm............
I don't think MS'a biggest furure threat is Apple, I think it's Linux. They've coma a long way in just a short time and I think in the next few years, we'll see a lot more Linux workstations in business cuz of Licsence 6 mainly, and the desktop isn't that far behind.:)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Apple may not be an immediate threat to Microsoft, but clearly someone in Seattle is afraid. Microsoft made a huge mistake even THINKING of a switch ad of their own. What worse business practice than to officially recognize the 'other 5%' as a valid threat to your company's monopoly??

Microshaft would have been much better suited to not say anything at all. After all the MacOS only runs on 5% of computers worldwide right?? And m$ owns around 95% of the remaining 95%.

Something is gonna go down in the next few years, and David and Goliath may just happen in the tech world. Linux will pervade into the server space, replacing both UNIX and Windows in a majority of enterprise systems. Apple's OS X is aimed directly at the desktop market, where Linux cannot hang, and will continue to be the best solution for productivity, stability, usability, and compatibility with existing *NIX systems. With OS X Server, it may be too little, too late, and too much $$.

p.s. please be aware that this is purely hypothetical prognostication.

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Originally posted by sparkleytone

p.s. please be aware that this is purely hypothetical prognostication.

What, do we do hypothetical, speculative things here? I hadn't noticed...

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
well you know, that was my disclaimer before i got flamed. yes i am aware that it seems ridiculous what i am saying. i am also aware that revolutionary things are generally considered revolutionary because no one ever believed a hurdle could be jumped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.