PDA

View Full Version : File in Use / Cant Add Files to Trash

scrob
Dec 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
I have a couple of problems which are beginning to drive me mad.

The first problem is that a number of files cannot be deleted, instead I get the "file in use and cannot be deleted" error message. This is happening to multiple files, mostly PDF and Word files with no apparent cause.

The second problem is that I cannot add files to trash - when I drag a file to be deleted, I get prompted that the file will be permanently deleted and I cannot undo this action. When I agree, the file is deleted and does not show up in the trash can.

Please help :confused::confused::confused:

GGJstudios
Dec 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
Have you tried restarting your Mac?

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1526)
Solving Trash Problems (http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html)

scrob
Dec 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
Yep I sure have - no different.

GGJstudios
Dec 13, 2011, 05:40 PM
Yep I sure have - no different.
Did you try the other things in the links I posted?

scrob
Dec 13, 2011, 06:17 PM
The first is a dead link. The second is a bit out of date for Lion. I have been googling and I have found that for some reason there was not a .Trash directory, so in Terminal I have made a new .Trash folder and assigned the permission to my user.

However now when I drag a file to trash, I am prompted for my password to allow Finder make changes to this system, and once I enter it the file vanishes and still is not in Trash.

This is driving me crazy!

GGJstudios
Dec 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
The first is a dead link.
No, it's not a dead link. Clear your browser's cache and cookies and try again.
The second is a bit out of date for Lion.
It still applies.

scrob
Dec 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
Fixed!

Used this guy's advice to fix the Trash, eventually it worked https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3238907?start=0&tstart=0

And once the Trash was operating as normal, all of a sudden the files which were "in use" can now be dragged into trash and the trash can emptied :D

Edit: Thanks for your input GGJstudios

ac3320
Dec 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
No, it's not a dead link. Clear your browser's cache and cookies and try again.

It still applies.

No, the first one really is dead.

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2011, 09:25 AM
No, the first one really is dead.
No, it is not a dead link:

squeakr
Dec 14, 2011, 09:41 AM
The screen shot you posted is for the second link. I have been hit or miss with the first. About half of the time it is reporting a dead link from Apple. It took several refreshes before it displayed for me, and even then sometimes since it is still showing a dead link message.

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2011, 09:43 AM
The screen shot you posted is for the second link. I have been hit or miss with the first. About half of the time it is reporting a dead link from Apple. It took several refreshes before it displayed for me, and even then sometimes since it is still showing a dead link message.
They're both good links. Clear your browser's cache and cookies and try again:

squeakr
Dec 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
I said it wasn't dead, just having issues. I't has nothing to do with cache and cookies. If that was the case then it would never load for me. The page is occassionally loading with an Apple page that displays the forum link you are trying to reach may no longer be available. It is the Apple dead page link that usually displays when their server is having issues. Maybe you should clear yours so you can occasionally experience the issues others are having, since you are the only one not experiencing the joys of these issues. It seems that clearing cache and cookies is about on par with the reset your PRAM statements on here. Is it really that hard to believe that a website may be having issues??

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
Maybe you should clear yours so you can occasionally experience the issues others are having, since you are the only one not experiencing the joys of these issues.
I clear my cache and cookies regularly, including when the links were reported as bad, to make sure I wasn't pulling up a cached copy, and they consistently work perfectly.
It seems that clearing cache and cookies is about on par with the reset your PRAM statements on here.
I only suggest clearing cache and cookies when it relates to the issues being discussed. I never suggest resetting PRAM/NVRAM unless it's appropriate. In fact, I've posted many times about the latter being suggested at inappropriate times.
Is it really that hard to believe that a website may be having issues??
Of course it's possible that a website may have issues. That still doesn't mean a link is bad. As I said, I've tested those links with a reset browser several times and have never had an issue.

squeakr
Dec 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
I never meant it to read or intended it to mean that you do those things. It was just a generalization about this site, as that seems to be the fix all for every issue (that and a restart).

Also I have stated several times that it was not a dead link, but that it was going to the Apple dead link page, and that i was about 50% getting the information and 50% getting the dead link page that I have found Apple' forum extremely bad about (they have been known to kill DNS links in a heartbeat or not refresh them quick enough, who knows it might be my DNS server, can't remember if I have been using OpenDNS or Google lately...need to check on that).

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
I never meant it to read or intended it to mean that you do those things.
It's all good. I understand. We're cool! :)