Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
So, I finally caved and signed up for .mac service. Mainly because I do not want to miss a bunch of important emails I'm expecting. I still don't think it's worth it but whatever. Anyone think it's weird that they made the final day of the discount a national holiday? Maybe clever marketing. Perhaps they thought more people would be home on the web? Anyway, I'm reading a ton of complaints about the service over at Apple's Support pages. Anyone think it was a total waste of money? I tried Backup today. Kind of cool I guess. Personally, I think Virex is a piece of crap. There is no progress bar to tell you how far it's gone. You just wait. Besides that, I've already filled up my iDisk with just a handfull of Photoshop Documents. I thought it would be cool to put them up there and open them at work tomorrow and then I realised how slow it is and copying a 20mb file would take forever. So what are some cool things I could be using this .mac thing for? Make me feel like less of a sucker;)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Can't lose the e-mail addy...but I do think that Backup makes it worth it for me.

I wrote a script to encrypt and password protect a lot of important stuff, and put it where back up expects it, added the script to my cron daily, and set Backup to back it all up after the cron job is done.

That & the addy are worth $50. Sadly I had to pay to keep the other addys I use (eBay, one for my compu-inept father, and one for possible spam).

$80 bucks all in, I'm pissed they charged me sales tax on a service though (.mac [yup, still hate the name], but not the extra addys).

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Well, I guessed it was about time I got rid of crap Hotmail.. so I caved. But come to think of it.. I also wanted the homepage... and since .Mac is bound to be an important part of future Apple apps... I guess it's worth it...

irmongoose

stoneage

macrumors regular
I bought in at $50 because of the 100 free prints from iPhoto. Backup kinda worked, but the system comes and goes whenever it wants. Virex is stupid until it scans incoming. (BTW, I scanned initially after 2½ years of goofing around and had zero, nil, nada viruses etc.) I don't think .Mac is worth it and won't renew unless they give up some goodies and keep it a a lower price.

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
not me

Whats the point. If you want a website, use OS X's built in one. If you want email, use the one that cme with ur ISP. If you want storage, use a USB key drive. If you want to pay off that dual 867 while ur still in college, you dont need to spend $50 on an unstable service ;)

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: not me

Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
Whats the point. If you want a website, use OS X's built in one. If you want email, use the one that cme with ur ISP. If you want storage, use a USB key drive.

True, but the thing is, I had almost none of these available for me.. my ISP somehow doesn't provide me with a Global IP, meaning I can't serve anything... and the email is already being used up by the family business. As for the storage, I can use my iPod, but that would be only if it's a Mac (and a relatively new one) in order to do it, same with the USB key drive or whatever, but .Mac can be accessed even from the slowest Compaq sh*ts which they have at my school, as long as they're connected to the net...

So, for me, it's worth it...

irmongoose

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
you can get free ip-trackers so even if your ip always changes, one little worded address sends a customer to that ip...try zapto.org...I forgot what the actual service calls itself but thats the domain I use..

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by mmmdreg
you can get free ip-trackers so even if your ip always changes, one little worded address sends a customer to that ip...try zapto.org...I forgot what the actual service calls itself but thats the domain I use..

Yah at first I thought it was th thing where the IP always changed, but I later figured out it wasn't. They just don't let me serve outside my network... I can only serve on the internal IP, and the external one no-one can access. It's weird... and complicated..

irmongoose

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i didn't cave!!:D although there was no way i could get it, i had no money anyway...

i can do without the .mac e-mail addy and i guess i'll see how .Mac intergrates with all the Mac apps in the future to see if it's worth it.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
um I caved as soon as they started charging for it........had the money and didnt want to lose that ubercool mac addy.;)

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
C'est moi.

Needed Backup and Virex, Moving soon to NOLA so a non-ISP E-mail survice that's reliable and doesn't sell their lists was an easy choice.:D

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i've actually been using Backup quite a bit. iCal is cool too. Virex stinks because it has no progress indication. i'm actually getting alot of use out of my iDisk. if i do something great at work i can just save it to the iDisk and jam on it when i get home. and it's great for "sharing" with my friends.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
I resisted. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who gave me some space on his server as well as an e-mail address that had the same user name as my .mac account. Even without the offer from my friend, I still wouldn't have caved. I agree with Hemingray above: "Apple gets enough of my money already."

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
heh:D

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 120

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
i didnt buy it, it would have been 100 for me anyway. oh well, if my email address is still available when i have the money, ill buy it.:rolleyes:

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
As i have previously posted, i got .mac because it actually provided a means for me to save money by redirecting domain names to my idisk.

i have been generally happy with the service, and i am looking forward to seeing future integration with iApps.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I purchased .Mac, and I have to say that I am quite happy with it. I didn't use iTools that much, but I find myself using .Mac a ton! Plus, when my town gets cable internet access at the end of December I'm going to get rid of AOL, and I'm going to be using my .Mac email address as my primary one. Right now I'm working on changing all of my email stuff over to my @mac.com email account so it'll be an easy transition once I get rid of AOL. It took me a long time to see how much AOL sucks. I can't wait to get cable!

marklander

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
NYC
I thought the mac.com email address was great marketing for Apple and I liked using it. But I didn't see enough advantages in .mac to pay $50 (this year, $100 next year?).

I tried using iDisk to send get files to a client, but I found it easier to FTP them using Fetch. The Homeage is nice for people starting out on the web, but I don't think you can point a domain name to a site hosted on .mac. If I could move my site there with my domain, I'd consider it.

Or if .mac members got free upgrades to the Mac OS, it would definitely be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.