PDA

View Full Version : iBook Power Brick

amholl
May 28, 2005, 01:37 PM
My iBook power brick feels like it could almost burn me. Is it supposed to get this hot? I has been plugged in for only 1.5 hrs while ive been typing my science project.

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 28, 2005, 01:40 PM
Mine's pretty hot. Not enough to burn me, but uncomfortable to hold (tightly) for more than a couple of seconds. Should be fairly normal...

mkrishnan
May 28, 2005, 01:59 PM
Hmmm....I have two bricks for my iBook 12" G4/800, and neither of them get very warm. In fact, my ccomputer has been on (with maybe a small amount of sleeping) for about two hours this afternoon and I think the power brick is slightly cooler than palm rest! :eek: :rolleyes:

Do you have a 12" or a 14", and do you have a 50W or 65W brick? Both of my bricks are the lower power ones.

amholl
May 28, 2005, 02:06 PM
I have a 45 watt power brick w/my 12 incher. Weird. Its way warmer than the palm rest while im surfing the net, but when im gaming, it about the same.

asif786
May 28, 2005, 02:09 PM
i used to leave my powerbook power brick in the wall most of the time.

the heat does vary - i guess it depends on how low your battery is / how much your laptop needs to be charged etc.

basically, it will get very hot. you needn't be worried.

edit: sorry, i thought you had a pb. if you have an ibook maybe you want to check this and see if you're covered:

http://www.apple-power-adapter-complaints.com

Sly
May 28, 2005, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure you should be using the 65W adaptor with the G4 ibook? The 45W adaptor is probably being overloaded and getting hot. The 45 W adaptor will work fine with your G3 Powerbook.

mkrishnan
May 28, 2005, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you should be using the 65W adaptor with the G4 ibook? The 45W adaptor is probably being overloaded and getting hot. The 45 W adaptor will work fine with your G3 Powerbook.

I think they made a mid-cycle change... and/or there's a difference between 12" and 14" iBooks. My 12" shipped with the 50W adaptor. This is a square white brick, not the yo-yo, for mine at least.

amholl
May 28, 2005, 04:36 PM
right, mines not a yoyo, and im not covered under the complaints thingy. ill go talk to them because i have to go in to get a new caps lock key,as my littlebro stepped on it and it crracked. thanks

amin
Jul 29, 2005, 12:10 AM
The power brick on the Rev A 12" PB I recently sold got very hot. I don't think it used to get as hot as it does now, but I could be mistaken. My 15" PB brick doesn't get hot. If it is a defect, I would be happy to send the person I just bought a new brick or money for one; I certainly woudn't want the person who bought my PB to have a fire hazard. However, from what has been said so far in this thread, it doesn't seem to be a defect, so I am reassured. Anyone else know more about this or have info straight from Apple?