PDA

View Full Version : Ripping DVDs

cberry240
Dec 13, 2011, 10:22 PM
Just got an AppleTV for Christmas and am looking at my pile of DVDs and wondering how long it takes to rip a DVD.

I have iSkySoft DVD Ripper for Mac. I'm looking at ripping to M4V at 1280x720 Xvid codec medium quality. I'll grab the artwork from Amazon.

I have an older Macbook Pro laptop...early 2008 release. Any suggestions on how to tackle this?

I have a 2TB drive coming for storage.

r.j.s
Dec 13, 2011, 10:28 PM
Probably about an hour each ... but why ripping at 720p? DVDs are not capable of that.

blueroom
Dec 13, 2011, 10:48 PM
Just use Handbrake + VLC on the ATV2 setting. Stay away from DiVX or XViD.

b-rad g
Dec 14, 2011, 07:17 AM
If you have a big pile of DVD's then it's best to use the 3 program workflow unless you want to automate the process.

I use RipIt + Handbrake + Identify.

I use RipIt because it does a really good job and can set it up to automatically start ripping as soon as you insert a disc. It will rip the dvd into a folder of your choosing and eject the disc when it's done. Just keep feeding the machine discs as soon as you see it eject one.

Once you get a "batch" done with RipIt, then use Handbrake to encode them for iTunes and reduce the ripped file size. The reason to do a batch at a time is because you can put as many as you want into Handbrake's queue and let it run by itself.

After encoding then use a program like Identify to tag all your movies with artwork and all the movie info. Plus it will then automatically add them to iTunes when done tagging.

N0ddie
Dec 14, 2011, 07:52 AM
If you have a big pile of DVD's then it's best to use the 3 program workflow unless you want to automate the process.

I use RipIt + Handbrake + Identify.

I use RipIt because it does a really good job and can set it up to automatically start ripping as soon as you insert a disc. It will rip the dvd into a folder of your choosing and eject the disc when it's done. Just keep feeding the machine discs as soon as you see it eject one.

Once you get a "batch" done with RipIt, then use Handbrake to encode them for iTunes and reduce the ripped file size. The reason to do a batch at a time is because you can put as many as you want into Handbrake's queue and let it run by itself.

After encoding then use a program like Identify to tag all your movies with artwork and all the movie info. Plus it will then automatically add them to iTunes when done tagging.

I use RipIt + Handbrake as above. Will give Identify a god though.

My 2008 MBP took ages (hours) to rip 1 DVD, my 27" iMac now does them in about 20 mins.