PDA

View Full Version : Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

gary c
Dec 14, 2011, 09:20 AM
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook at amazon for $2.99 vs thunderbold cable form Mac store $30. Is there a difference? I am looking to connect my Air to our tv and or to tv's when we travel. Our home tv has hdmi connections, but most motel tv's have the 3 wire plugs. Just wanted you guys opinion. I know just enough to be dangerous.
Thanks for you assistance.

tmagman
Dec 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
thunderbolt cable will not connect to your TV- it is designed to link the thunderbolt port on your computer to another thunderbolt device such as an external drive or the specific Apple Thunderbolt display. To connect your TV you will have to use the miniDisplayport (which yes, does double as your thunderbolt port) to HDMI that you mentioned (and then get an HDMI cable as well). As for the 3 plug RCA connectors in Hotels- you'd have to get a converter box to convert the signal from your MBA to an analog RCA signal to be compatible with those older hotel tvs.

Hope that helps!

pgiguere1
Dec 14, 2011, 10:38 AM
thunderbold cable form Mac store $30.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. A Thunderbolt cable is 49$ and will be useless as your TV has no TB port and probably no mini DisplayPort port either.

If you are referring to the Moshi mDP-HDMI adapter, this one is the most widely used and it's almost guaranteed to work. I'm sure most cheaper options could work as well, it will probably just have worse design / materials / construction quality, but it's not a big deal especially since it's digital.

Just make sure to verify if it transmits audio as well, the Moshi does.

jsgreen
Dec 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
I would highly recommend also looking at monoprice.com for mDP>HDMI cables...they tend to be decent quality and very low priced. Make sure you read the customer reviews of the various adaptors, that's a good source of knowledge on their web site.

I buy all my cables/adaptors/wall mounts from monoprice and I've been really satisfied with them.

thomanjones
Dec 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
Get a monoprice MDP -> HDMI adapter

Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt to HDMI, DVI & DisplayPort Adapter PID# 8119

Sound should be supported for 2010 or later Macs (as far as I know)

If sound is not supported, then this one:

Mini Displayport Male | Thunderbolt and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter PID# 5969

for HDMI to Composite Video (Yellow, Red, White RCA Connectors, best backwards compatibility for old TVs)

HDMI to Composite Converter PID# 8667

And, of course, a long HDMI cable so you can keep the laptop nearby:

25ft 26AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - Black PID# 2841

I own all of the above (except for the HDMI to Composite Converter), and all works well, and far cheaper than official apple offerings. HTH :)

BadaBing!!
Dec 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
Got my TD -> HDMI adaptor from MonoPrice too (About $8 IIRC) and it works very well.

gary c
Dec 16, 2011, 06:30 AM
I appreciate all of your inputs. That helps. I am also glad you could figure out what I was asking. I will go there and order what I need.
thanks again

cfedu
Dec 18, 2011, 07:31 AM
Not to sound to petty, but the monoprice adapter is ugly. I found some adapters on eBay for the same price that where aesthetically pleasing and carried audio over hdmi. It even came in fake apple packaging looking oem.