PDA

View Full Version : coffee damage




mfredericklpc
Dec 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
I spilled coffee on macbook - seeped through the keyboard and would not power up. Following instructions on removing battery and leetting dry out longer ( no noticeable corrosion ), I proceeded two days later and reinstalled the battery.
Just as I connected the battery terminal, the macbook powered on. Quite relieved, I powered off and proceeded to put battery and case back together.
However - ugh - I was not able to power back up, even after replicating disconnecting the battery scenario. I then tried powering up w/ the dc power, but was unsucceessful.
Additionally, my power cord now will not light up - going out about 5 minutes after tyring to utilize it.
Any advice or hope would be greatly appreciated

Mark



calvol
Dec 14, 2011, 07:12 PM
It sounds like some coffee made it's way to the motherboard, and possibly and created a short across some traces, or worse shorted out some components. At this point, I would try to spray some cleaning solvent to remove the coffee, and try to power on again. If there's no component damage, removing the residual coffee may remove the short across the mobo traces.

MacVibe
Dec 14, 2011, 08:16 PM
It sounds like some coffee made it's way to the motherboard, and possibly and created a short across some traces, or worse shorted out some components. At this point, I would try to spray some cleaning solvent to remove the coffee, and try to power on again. If there's no component damage, removing the residual coffee may remove the short across the mobo traces.

I second this advice as it worked for me with a previous computer. Inspect for any discolored "brownish" areas on the motherboard that could be due to coffee and dab them with a little ispropyl alcohol. Don't rub or scrape, just remove any coffee residue that might be crossing two of the wires embedded in the board. Inspect very carefully, you should have hope since you have already seen signs of life!