Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GodricGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I'm in the middle of a school project and needed a clip from a favorite film noir to showcase. I chose a scene from "The Sweet Smell of Success", and used 'trim' to extract the clip. I then went back to iMovie to incorporate it into my project. . . except I couldn't. It couldn't even select.

I used Quicktime Player 10, the clip was .mov (original file .m4v) and I was attempting to import it into iMovie '09 (8.0.6).

Any help?

I'd really appreciate it. :)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
.mov is just a wrapper. The video is still a .m4v mp4 video using whichever codec was used to create it.

It wasn't a protected file, was it?

GodricGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
.mov is just a wrapper. The video is still a .m4v mp4 video using whichever codec was used to create it.

It wasn't a protected file, was it?

Ah! Right.

And no it wasn't protected. I can actually import the whole movie fine, I just didn't want to waste the time & space. Do I need to convert the file? If so, what program would you suggest. I don't want to loose any quality. . .

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you don't want to lose quality, then import the whole file.

Otherwise, use MPEGStreamClip to convert it to a different type.

GodricGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
If you don't want to lose quality, then import the whole file.

Otherwise, use MPEGStreamClip to convert it to a different type.

I'll download the converter. Importing the whole movie would take well over an hour, and I'm short on time.

Many thanks for being so quick to answer the question. ;)

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
... and in MPEG Streamclip you also can set an in and out point for export. You don't have to get the whole movie into iMovie.
Export as AIC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.