Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
just curious in to what % of people use macs vs pcs. i can remember a while ago it was like 1% use macs.

now it seems at my college 60% use macs, obviously thats only in college but..

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Still single digits as a whole, if you were to look at every machine in the world. If you look at machines sold on a day to day basis however, the number shoots right up because Macs are rising in popularity. The numbers much higher in the anglosphere as well (USA, UK, AUS) and also Western Europe.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
yeah i was just observing and i definitely see a huge rise in macs but I'm sure the huge rise I'm seeing is more so in just college students, than the world as a whole. but i thought mac may have broken into the double digits by now, guess not though.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Macs are approaching 10% of total PC sales in the US (or are they above that already?), a bit less in western europe, and they are still below 5% worldwide.

The above are just new sales, assuming that people keep their computers for a few years the total share of OSX is still much lower.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
Macs are approaching 10% of total PC sales in the US (or are they above that already?), a bit less in western europe, and they are still below 5% worldwide.

The above are just new sales, assuming that people keep their computers for a few years the total share of OSX is still much lower.

sales-wise they're actually closer to 20% of new machines, however total marketshare is aproximately 10% last I saw.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
sales-wise they're actually closer to 20% of new machines, however total marketshare is aproximately 10% last I saw.

these are the numbers i was looking for. 20% of sales is a good chunk though. although my attitude is sort of hipsterish :eek:. i like having what people don't. i like listening to music that no ones heard of...i don't like mainstream etc etc.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

Sorry but that's wrong. Apple just broke the 10% bar in the last two quarters, see here:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/apples-share-of-u-s-pc-market-leaps-to-12-9-in-3q-2011/

In western europe, Apple is still below 10%:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/14/apple-becomes-top-five-pc-vendor-in-western-europe/

Worldwide, including the fastest growing market, China, Apple is not among the top 5 vendors, and no numbers are released. Maybe around 5%.
http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1821731

It would be interesting to know what kind of numbers Apple had 20 years ago.

@happle
You could try to buy a used Gateway laptop, or something like that. Or use a pink case and keyboard cover, that will also work.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
- College students
- Late teens/early 30s
- IT
- Professors
- People who wants things simple/Power users who wants an open OS

Look at the steam HW stats.

Wait, are these the people who use Windows or OSX? If it's OSX I really have to disagree with the IT and open OS points.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/21/mac-vs-pc-what-your-os-says-about-you_n_852170.html

Check out this post.

Answer the poll question at the bottom.

As for my college, it is like 80% Macs

I have a friend who works in IT at Penn State main and he said that roughly 80% of new students connecting to their network are Macs as well.

----------

Wait, are these the people who use Windows or OSX? If it's OSX I really have to disagree with the IT and open OS points.

I work in IT and use Macs. I can do much more with it than a Windows machine (including running Windows if need be). Macs IMO are much better for virtual machine use. Obviously it depends what you do in IT as a majority do use Windows but Mac and Linux use is definitely on the rise.

As for Open, it actually is more open than Windows since its built upon Darwin Unix.

Last edited:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
A few short years ago, I knew two other friends using Macs – both graphic designers. Today I can name at least ten friends and family members, from various walks of life that have made the switch.

Anecdotally my experience shows that the Mac is definitely appealing to a much wider audience than it did before the iPhone / iPad. I had a mate round at the weekend that's considering the switch, but he still can't balance the cost/benefit compared to a £399 Dell.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Anecdotally my experience shows that the Mac is definitely appealing to a much wider audience than it did before the iPhone / iPad. I had a mate round at the weekend that's considering the switch, but he still can't balance the cost/benefit compared to a £399 Dell.

I think the price is now the only thing that is stopping Macs from being used by more people. There is no point buying a £900+ laptop when you can get a £300 one that you're already familiar with, that does what you plan on doing on a computer just as well. Especially in this economic climate.

Apple would be everywhere if they made a £300 computer. And no, the iPad is not a computer.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
just curious in to what % of people use macs vs pcs. i can remember a while ago it was like 1% use macs.

now it seems at my college 60% use macs, obviously thats only in college but..

Unit sales are about 10-12% in the US, 5.2% world wide in the last quarter. In revenue, it was about 12.5% of total revenue world wide in the last quarter. iPads are also about 11-12% of total computer revenue world wide, and unit sales are about 12% of computer unit sales world wide.

But you asked about _use_, not about buying new computers. And people who use their computers a lot will obviously be prepared to spend more for them, and tend more to buy Macs. There are plenty of laptops with a third of the battery life of a MacBook, so which ones will you see outside their home and in use?

I think the price is now the only thing that is stopping Macs from being used by more people. There is no point buying a £900+ laptop when you can get a £300 one that you're already familiar with, that does what you plan on doing on a computer just as well. Especially in this economic climate.

My mother used to say: We are poor, we can't afford to buy cheap things. If you don't have money, the last thing you should buy is a £300 laptop. Not if you actually want to use it.

Last edited:

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
- College students
- Late teens/early 30s
- IT
- Professors
- People who wants things simple/Power users who wants an open OS

Look at the steam HW stats.

Come to Europe and you can't do such generalizations. Out of my friends, maybe 5% have Macs. And I would say that figure applies outside my friends too judging by what I've seen people using at school, cafes etc.

Seriously, US isn't the only country in the world.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
My mother used to say: We are poor, we can't afford to buy cheap things. If you don't have money, the last thing you should buy is a £300 laptop. Not if you actually want to use it.

We bought my daughter a £350 laptop 3 years ago (which had a similar spec to the £750 MacBook on sale then) and she used it to get through college and is still using it today. It's never missed a beat since the day we bought it.

I'd love to know why we shouldn't have bought it? :confused:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

I in IT, I'll take a mac for the type of development I do any hour of the week! Windows hampers and slows my productivity. That's just me - YMWV!

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I know this is just genuine curiosity on OP's part but I never understood why people gave a damn how well their 'computer company' was doing.

I own Apple products, but I don't own Apple stock, I honestly don't even care if more people adopt OS X and iOS or not.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Come to Europe and you can't do such generalizations. Out of my friends, maybe 5% have Macs. And I would say that figure applies outside my friends too judging by what I've seen people using at school, cafes etc.

Seriously, US isn't the only country in the world.

Here the last German person I know on a non-Mac was my wife who as of Tuesday is on a Mac. My American friends are split 50/50. I think it has more to do with what people can afford. When I was a poor college student I was a Linux guy, in my heart I still am.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Here the last German person I know on a non-Mac was my wife who as of Tuesday is on a Mac. My American friends are split 50/50. I think it has more to do with what people can afford. When I was a poor college student I was a Linux guy, in my heart I still am.

It's not about the money, trust me. How come all the American college kids have Macs if it was a money thing?

To put it bluntly, I think Apple has failed the marketing of Macs in this part of Europe. We don't have an Apple Store in here, only resellers. There weren't many resellers until a few years ago. Some stores had Macs before that but it was kind of "oh yeah, we have some Macs but how about this brand new Acer". You got the weird look if you told someone you're a Mac user. It has slowly changed due to iPhone and iPad but not exponentially.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It's not about the money, trust me. How come all the American college kids have Macs if it was a money thing?
Because they foolishly spend their grants on things that are not really needed? Thats the case with uni students here in the UK.

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
In Australia, Apple's market share of our PC market has hit 15%, passing Dell and Acer. It's now number two behind HP.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I in IT, I'll take a mac for the type of development I do any hour of the week! Windows hampers and slows my productivity. That's just me - YMWV!

I work in IT and use Macs. I can do much more with it than a Windows machine (including running Windows if need be). Macs IMO are much better for virtual machine use. Obviously it depends what you do in IT as a majority do use Windows but Mac and Linux use is definitely on the rise.

As for Open, it actually is more open than Windows since its built upon Darwin Unix.

These are relatively individual cases though. The majority of IT stuff is still done on Windows simply due to the ubiquity of pcs and the number of work places that use pcs. I have no doubt that there are IT technicians who prefer a Mac but they are definitely the minority by a hefty margin.

Also, what do you mean when you say OSX is open? Maybe we are talking about different things? Sure it's foundations may be open, but the end product most certainly isn't.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I don't have the figures for the Netherlands, but I would be very surprised if it was above 5% for computers. The iPad has sold well here but still only 20% of the market, the iPhone has sold very well 35%. The iPod of course a major success here as it was in the rest of the world.:apple:

From personal experience it's the price, everybody loves the product, but not the price. My neighbor a few months ago asked me about my iMac, he was very impressed by the software, but when he heard the price he just said it's to expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.