Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpc01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Long story short, I purchased a MBA about a month ago an experienced some issues with it and I just got it replaced with a brand new one. When I had that MBA I would clean everything daily as I had no protection on it. I made sure I didn't leave my palms on the sides and was extremely careful about where I used it (actually, it never left my computer table).

Anyways, about two weeks of using it, I noticed that it just didn't look the same. I mean, there were no scratches or anything, but it didn't look new...

Now, I don't want to use decals as I love how the MBA (actually all Apple products look gorgeous IMO) looks and don't want to alter it. And I would get something like the BodyGuardz protection but I'm absolutely terrible at applying them — I've tried applying various types of screen protectors, both wet and dry, and I've always failed.

So, I found a keypad protector on Apple's store and thankfully it's basically a clear sticker and I also found a keyboard cover. But I was wondering of I could find a clear decal to help protect everywhere else with aluminum. I emailed DecalGirl and haven't heard back and I also emailed a few sellers on Etsy about making custom pieces but none of them said they'd do it. And one thing I love about the decals is how it gives it a little shine...

I think I'm out of luck, but thought I'd ask you guys, just in case someone had a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
My thought is that you are being over protective. Its going to get dirty from use because of the oil on your hands and dirt and dust in the environment. I just sold my 2008 MacBook Pro to buy my air and I never protected it with any wraps and such... just used it everyday and was careful not to bang it around. After wiping it down, it looked like brand new. Use the Air and enjoy it. It should look fine in a couple of years with reasonable care and occasional cleaning. Its a computer after all, not a rare museum artifact.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Its relatively straightforward applying shields like the Invisible Shield etc - sure its time consuming. If you have a Zagg retail outlet near you, they can apply it for you if you take the Macbook with you.

Theres always YouTube videos than can assist or help with the applying procedure. Result: this.

dpc01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

@convergent, good point. It's funny, about two months ago I decided I was tired of iPhone cases and decided to go just bear and... Not only have I not scratched the phone or damaged it but I'm finally truly enjoying my phone. I would even lay it on a table if it didn't have a case because I was worried about scratching it.

I think I'm going to take your advice and stop being so OCD and just enjoy using it.

@TheSamurai, unfortunately, there are no retailers at all in Canada, that I've found, that'll apply.

It's funny, I was able to open my iPhone and swap it with a white kit after reading a few tutorials and watching two tutorials. Yet, I can't apply a screen protector if my life depended on it. I've honestly tried over 10 times and spent close to as much as I spent on my phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.