Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mzl.xankuudu.320x480-75.jpg

In celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of Grand Theft Auto III, Rock Star Games has released an iOS version that supports both iPhone and iPad. Grand Theft Auto III was first released in 2001 and was the first 3D title of the series. The game received very positive reviews and was considered revolutionary at the time.

The iOS version of the game was originally promoted as being one of the first to take advantage of the enhanced speed and capabilities of the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. The final version also supports iPhone 4 and 4th Generation iPod Touch.

Initial impressions are favorable, with full reviews likely to come tomorrow:
Initial impressions are remarkably positive, although at this writing we've only played it so far on our collective iPad 2's. But, it's Grand Theft Auto III on iOS devices. The controls are about what you'd expect, virtual buttons everywhere, but they seem entirely workable once you get your head wrapped around where everything is.
Grand Theft Auto III is a universal app and now available for $4.99. [App Store]

Article Link: 'Grand Theft Auto III' Now Available on App Store

Macmoney

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
na
I know it cost money to port/rewrite code whatever needs to be
done to make these titles cross platform compatible. Due to the way the app
store is selling you think these companies want to maximize profit

But would love if we could get releases the same time playstation,
xbox,PC gets product releases,instead of waiting year(s) or more sometimes
for a title to come to the Mac Platform.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Does this game have all the radio stations as the original PS2 game? Amazing they can condense all that into a package under 500MB.

OneOkami

Nov 8, 2011
I don't see it yet. Hopefully I can try a lite version on my iPod Touch to see how it runs and how well it plays with touch controls. I feel like I'd be better off waiting until I get an iPad 3 but we'll see.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I know it cost money to port/rewrite code whatever needs to be
done to make these titles cross platform compatible. Due to the way the app
store is selling you think these companies want to maximize profit

But would love if we could get releases the same time playstation,
xbox,PC gets product releases,instead of waiting year(s) or more sometimes
for a title to come to the Mac Platform.

yes, they should've released this for the iphone in 2001. stupid apple!

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I wish there was a bluetooth game controller for games like these. I prefer to have buttons I can feel and that are separate from the screen for games where touch is really unnecessary.

I'd consider buying it if so, but for now I think I will stick with my PS2 or 1st gen PS3 for whenever I want to break out GTA3.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
The game is up already. Strange that it didn't come up in the search engine quite easily. I first saw it by bringing up the Chinatown wars game and then looking at the *other games by Rockstar* list to find the link to GTA3.

At $5, that's a pretty nice asking price. Kind of surprised they could squeeze all of GTA 3 (updated) within 500MBs. Now if they could allow for tilt controls for the driving parts, this would be a golden port.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Well done Rockstar!

Nice to see how much technology has improved over the years

I know, really. There were so many arcade cabinets, in the past, from stuff that had amazing sound and 2d graphics, ones driven by Laser disk, and ones with great realtime 3D technology. And now we have portable devices that completely blow that stuff out of the water only using a fraction of the built-in ram drive memory inside them. An entire huge laser disk game with full cartoon animation is just a simple 200MB App these days. A previous gen title is just a 500MB app these days.

Pocket devices are growing up pretty quick with the current rush. What's next? L.A. Noire in your pocket within two years?

Last edited:

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
can you drive with the accelerometer? if not that's a dealbreaker for me. We already have 3 excellent Gangstar games that have perfected the controls and are newer and likely better than this.:rolleyes:

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
The accelerometer is actually in the options Setting menu. This bodes well. Very well. I'll let you know in a sec.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Accelerometer driving controls are in. This game is officially awesome now. Turn Accelerometer ON (and I also advise analogue controls ON as well) in the options. Possible golden port? Looks like it might be.

Last edited:

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Agreed. Though Apple wouldn't have to make it. They could just get one of the eager experienced companies to come up with the prototype and endorse that as the official controller style. BT would be the way to go. Especially since all the new devices can do video mirroring to external TV sets. They'd have a portable device, easily hooked up to modern tv sets, and a BT controller to control it. If the other *new* portable devices don't support that, they'll have a major limitation against them.

GBPac12

macrumors newbie
I REALLY want Apple to produce a game pad / controller for iPhone so all developers can code for it and we can get a real gaming system

What your refering to is a very small nich within the whole mobile gaming industry.

I personally feel that if I had to whip out a controller everytime to play a game it would become more of a hassle and lose its sense of portability.

I am pretty sure individuals who by an iPad don't pull out a keyboard to start typing an email or etc, if any do then it is a very small amount of people.

milliepuppy

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
.. why would it have to be either/ or ?

on screen controls when on the move ..... separate controller when your not ?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Does this game have all the radio stations as the original PS2 game? Amazing they can condense all that into a package under 500MB.
I believe all radio stations are included.

And how is 500MB surprising? The PC version system requirements are for 500MB. The iOS version is actually almost 700MB when installed on the device.

On another note, based on feedback from users, it looks like Apple A5 users get pretty much the XBox version including it's higher quality textures, higher polygon models, and specular lighting. Accurate real-time reflections still may be lacking so the XBox version probably remains the definitive version. Apple A4 users generally get the higher quality textures for close distance objects, only get the high polygon models for Claude, lack specular lighting, are missing shadows, traffic lights, and car brake lights. Still, Apple A4 devices are still arguably closer to the PC version than the PS2 version.

EDIT: Apple A5 devices also get native resolution graphics while A4 devices are sub-native in game although they use native resolution menus. A5 devices also get blood effects.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.