PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook DVD write speed funkiness

neocell
May 29, 2005, 02:19 AM
When I burn a DVD on my 12" PB using toast the drive (Matshita UJ-825) only writes at 2X for the first 2 minutes or so and then the drive whirls up (makes lots of noise) and writes the rest at 4X (happens every single time >30). When the disc is done you can see on the disc when the write rate sped up as there's a clear demarcation. Is this just normal for this drive or is there something wrong with mine?

ColoJohnBoy
May 29, 2005, 02:58 AM
You're not the only one. That's been a major flaw on my PowerBook, though my problem has been much worse. Mine won't write above 2x at all ever, won't burn DVD+R and spits out worhtless discs. Maybe 25% of the discs I've made have actually worked, CDs included. There's a discussion on Apple Support about the problem; those that have complained to Apple have essentially been told that unless the problem is widespread, they aren't culpable. I'd recommend complaining to Apple, as I did. Hopefully they'll soon issue a recall and replace them for free.

Matshita DVD Drive Thread (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?7@706.dx6lao7cZOU.325435@.68a7ba65/0)

neocell
May 29, 2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks, for the info. Hopefully we can get them to take them back