Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hi guys. Wasnt too sure where to find this info so I thought Id come here.

Im thinking of buying win7 and installing it on my unibody macbook.

I just have one question...actually make it 2.

1. What is the functionality of the trackpad like in win7. Do you still get any of the multi touch gestures? 2 finger forward/back browsing. 2 finger scroll. 2 finger tap for right click. All that kind of stuff.

and number 2.

2. What about the magic mouse? How does that perform in win7. Any of the scrolling gestures work and all that?

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
you have to install the bootcamp drivers off the cd... well for snow leopard.. i think for lion you download it online, when you are setting up bootcamp it asks you if you have the support rivers, or not, if you dont say it, and it will download them automatically for you to use after windows is installed

in any even its very limited functionality.... you can scroll up and down (left and right scrolling doesn't even seem to work for me) you can enable two fingers to right click, or lower corner right click, tap to click, and tap dragging. That is all you can get under windows unless there is some third party add in... if there is I would really like to know.

as a side note... and somewhat unrelated, there is full gesture support in linux, they have some drivers

TSchmiesing

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
The MacBook Trackpad in the Windows environment is a piece of crap. I am not exaggerating on that. It really isn't usable in the least. Hyper sensitive, and limited features.

There is a third party driver that will at least let you do basic functions. It is called Trackpad++. Using this driver will allow you to do many of the features you want but not nearly as smooth as it operates in the OSX environment. The biggest lacking feature for me is 3 finger dragging. I love that.

http://trackpad.powerplan7.com/

Many Windows laptop trackpads use Synaptic drivers. These are very nice multi-touch drivers in the Windows environment. Unfortunately they are not compatible with the Apple trackpads.

I have been truly disapointed by the trackpad in the Windows enviroment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.