PDA

View Full Version : Lion: WHY do apps move spaces?

Concorde Rules
Dec 15, 2011, 05:53 AM
Grrrrr.

I have all my apps laid out in different spaces, kinda as follows:

1. Finder and little apps like FTP software.
2. All other random apps (Synk, etc)
3. InDesign/Photoshop/Dreamweaver
4. Safari
5. Mail
6. Lightroom
7. VMWare Fusion.

Etc..

Now sometimes apps refuse to stay where they are forced to. The Adobe software is the main culprit. It flatly refuses to stay in Desktop 3 (when told to stay in Desktop 3 after right click -> options). So if I alt-tab to safari and alt-tab back sometimes it won't switch back to desktop 3 but open in the safari desktop!!!!

In addition to that, I'll alt-tab to InDesign and Photoshop (or whatever app is also on that desktop) will appear instead. I have to double or triple tab back and fourth before it appears.

GRRRRRRRRR!

This is the first OS X operating system that I have properly got annoyed with.

PS: I can't go back to SL due to Mail and TM upgrades :roll eyes:

Apple/Adobe PLEASE FIX THIS.

Joos24
Dec 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
I think this is all Adobe's fault, it's not Lion's. I personally don't have any Adobe products on my Lion install so I can't confirm that your issue happens with everybody but if this does happen with everyone then Adobe obviously hasn't optimized their software to work with Lion and I'm not surprised based on Adobe's slow updates to OS X in general. Took Adobe all of Snow Leopard's lifespan to get flash to run decently. I have several 3rd party apps that stay in spaces that I set them up to open in daily. I've never experience this issue you're having although I used to have that issue in Snow Leopard.

lotones
Dec 15, 2011, 01:27 PM
Are you using the apps in full-screen? In full-screen the apps create their own space and become the next available space to the right of whatever space they're opened from. It's convenient but it scrambles the order of the desktops, especially if you open more than one app.

edit: I just stumbled upon a checkbox in the Mission Control pref pane that will disable this feature:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3945/screenshot20111215at115.png

Concorde Rules
Jan 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
I think this is all Adobe's fault, it's not Lion's. I personally don't have any Adobe products on my Lion install so I can't confirm that your issue happens with everybody but if this does happen with everyone then Adobe obviously hasn't optimized their software to work with Lion and I'm not surprised based on Adobe's slow updates to OS X in general. Took Adobe all of Snow Leopard's lifespan to get flash to run decently. I have several 3rd party apps that stay in spaces that I set them up to open in daily. I've never experience this issue you're having although I used to have that issue in Snow Leopard.

It's not just Adobe Apps. Finder is doing it too.

Are you using the apps in full-screen? In full-screen the apps create their own space and become the next available space to the right of whatever space they're opened from. It's convenient but it scrambles the order of the desktops, especially if you open more than one app.

edit: I just stumbled upon a checkbox in the Mission Control pref pane that will disable this feature:

That is off already, and I don't use full screen mode apart from iTunes.
VMware is in full screen mode but that has it's own desktop and tends to stick to it thankfully.