PDA

View Full Version : 13 MBA voted best mac of the year

tim100
Dec 15, 2011, 06:51 AM
TUAW ran a poll that the 13 mba won best mac of the year. How many macbook pro users have switched the macbook air, in this forum?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/12/12/13-macbook-air-tops-tuaw-best-of-2011-voting/

Big D 51
Dec 15, 2011, 06:55 AM
I did.

MacDawg
Dec 15, 2011, 07:01 AM
I did as well and so did my GF

Macman45
Dec 15, 2011, 07:05 AM
But the MBA is a great machine, It would get my vote too!

convergent
Dec 15, 2011, 07:06 AM
I switched from a MBP to 13" MBA and couldn't be happier. It is the perfect size machine and amazingly fast. I'll never go back.

paulrbeers
Dec 15, 2011, 07:21 AM
I switched from a decked out 15" MBP to the 13" MBA (base). I am very happy. I would have preferred it to have 8GB of RAM so I could run more than 1 virtual machine at a time, but otherwise I'm happy. My wife is too since she has my 15" MBP.

miniConvert
Dec 15, 2011, 07:28 AM
I've just gone back to the MBP (late 2011, 15").

I think the 13" Air is incredible, but I've also come to realise that actually, if you don't need the portability, there's still a lot to gain from having a more 'traditional' size laptop.

I'd agree with the 13" Air winning this award, though. It's the best choice for the biggest number of people.

DJBBOX
Dec 15, 2011, 07:52 AM
love my baby. i call her Sandy. she is good to me :)

peskaa
Dec 15, 2011, 08:09 AM
I switched from a 15" MBP to a 13" Air, though there was a gap in-between where I was laptop-less. Much appreciating the portability gained from the weight loss programme it went on ;)

richorlin
Dec 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
I switched from a 2011 13" MBP to a 13" MBA with 128gb and never looked back. Out of 128gb I still have almost 70gb free. Most of my media and data is in the cloud, so I don't need much more storage anyway. The 2011 13" MBA if the best portable Mac I have ever owned.

littledude8209
Dec 15, 2011, 08:45 AM
I switched over from an early 2008 15" Macbook Pro to the 2010 Macbook air when it first came out. Has been my main machine ever since. I absolutely love it :D

I am only considering upgrading to the 2011 (or 2012, gonna wait and see) model because I do want the external monitor sooner of later. I see it as kind of a waste to get the display port one when thunderbolt offers quite a bit more in terms of speed and ports.

SDColorado
Dec 15, 2011, 08:52 AM
My wife is making the switch to the MBA. I have both. I do love the MBA 13" though. It's perfect when I just need a lightweight laptop to grab and go.

pgiguere1
Dec 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
It's true that the 13" is a better computer than the 11" if it's your main computer and don't have an external display, but I think the 11" is more impressive from a technical point, considering it now has the same maximum specs in a smaller form factor, and also the same keyboard with almost no border around it. It's also has the highest PPI screen ever seen in an Apple computer.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 15, 2011, 11:28 AM
I did.

In April 2008, I bought a 15" MBP - and loved it, it was an excellent computer. However, I travel a lot, and portability & weight matter to me, therefore, in Sept 2010, I treated myself to a 13" MBA (Rev C), which has since become my main computer. Within a few months, as I found that I was hardly using the MBP at all, I sold it, which means that the MBA is now my sole computer.

sostoobad
Dec 15, 2011, 12:00 PM
This is my 1st plunge into the Mac pond, went with 2 new ones, home the mac mini,with keyboard and 20" monitor, at work, the MBA 13" base model.

Had the 11" and I thought it was fine, but wanted the bigger screen, and you get more ram etc.

It has been great, my needs are not vast, so the base is more than enough for me, very light too, me likey a lot !!

neteng101
Dec 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
15" MBP to 13" MBA Ultimate late 2010... does everything I throw at it. Although I do leave gaming for a PC desktop. Would like to see an 8GB RAM option (for VMs) in the next revision, might consider upgrading then, but I really haven't found anything where my MBA has been lacking.

Recently saw the Samsung Series 9 and Asus Ultrabook... YUCK, seriously bad keyboards and sharp/unrefined edges, touchpad is nothing like the MBA either. Only a mad person would buy one of those over the MBA, if you ask me.

netdog
Dec 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Recently saw the Samsung Series 9 and Asus Ultrabook... YUCK, seriously bad keyboards and sharp/unrefined edges, touchpad is nothing like the MBA either. Only a mad person would buy one of those over the MBA, if you ask me.

Or somebody who wants a Windows machine of course.

And in answer to the OP's original question, yeah, I did too.

neteng101
Dec 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
Or somebody who wants a Windows machine of course.

That's what Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion/Parallels is for. ;)

The MBA is more than a Mac, its a PC, its Linux, and that is the attraction for some of us. Now if only Apple would stop being so uptight and allow Snow Leopard to be loaded on a VM... might keep my 2010 for longer if only because it still will support/boot to Snow Leopard.

Orlandoech
Dec 15, 2011, 01:54 PM
I debated it but decided not to.

Xikum
Dec 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
That's what Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion/Parallels is for. ;)

The MBA is more than a Mac, its a PC, its Linux, and that is the attraction for some of us. Now if only Apple would stop being so uptight and allow Snow Leopard to be loaded on a VM... might keep my 2010 for longer if only because it still will support/boot to Snow Leopard.

Not everybody likes Macs, and not everybody has the same taste as you do. Personally I like the Asus Zenbook.

If somebody doesn't like Mac OS X, buying a Mac really is pretty pointless to just run Windows off boot camp; you really might as well just buy the Windows laptop. And as a side note, the keyboard on the Zenbook is actually quite good, and the trackpad issues were fixed with a software update.

No need to be so close minded with a "Mac or noting" attitude.

sostoobad
Dec 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
To me, it was 2 main things on why I went to a mac. and an Air and a Mini.

I had been using pcs for the last 7 yrs and just couldn't take it any more, there is good news with windows and bad news, the bad news drove me nuts, freeze ups, control alt delete, and the ever growing viruses etc.

Then some people I know said "get a Mac" so i went down to the apple store and dove in. So for me the 2 main thins are, The operating system, not so much the features etc, they are nice, but my needs are not great.

The 2nd is resale, the resale of these machines is quite good, have followed it closely for the past few months.

So if I want to sell my 13" Air 3 yrs from now, 1 owner, very clean etc, it will sell for decent money, and put that into the newest one.

I would get my pcs serviced due to viruses about every 18 months or so,it added up. So i figure, not only will my Mac cost me less, it gives me better performance. But to each his own.

jojoba
Dec 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm happy because I just ordered one :):) I come from a pc, though, I've never tried the Mac Book Pro.

sostoobad
Dec 15, 2011, 03:26 PM
I think if you are coming from a pc , you will be elated. I played with the pro and it is very nice, quite capable, but like I said before, my needs are not vast.

The 13" air gives me what I want, and the feel is great too.

calvol
Dec 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'm back to Mac after 20 years with a 2010 13" MBA and love it, good to be back on a Unix variant again.

Next Mac will either be the new 2012 15" MBP, or a Mini-TBD combo, can't decide which, but I do want Ivy in my next Mac, don't like Sandy, runs too hot.

brown.eyed.girl
Dec 15, 2011, 05:07 PM
I recently switched from a 2010 13" MBP to a 2011 11" MBA. I was a little wary at first (screen size and battery life) but so far, I'm loving the MBA!

neteng101
Dec 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
And as a side note, the keyboard on the Zenbook is actually quite good, and the trackpad issues were fixed with a software update.

Compared to the MBA, the keyboard looks ultra tacky plasticky with all that shiny paint, and doesn't have the right tactile feedback when typing on. As for the trackpad, its not the issues I'm referring to either... just can't compare to the feel of the glass trackpads on Macs.

As for not being so close minded - Windows users shouldn't be either - and once they give OSX a real spin, well... ;)

But just plain hardware build quality/engineering, is something Asus and Samsung hasn't quite achieved in trying to imitate the MBA.

Xikum
Dec 16, 2011, 05:47 PM
Compared to the MBA, the keyboard looks ultra tacky plasticky with all that shiny paint, and doesn't have the right tactile feedback when typing on. As for the trackpad, its not the issues I'm referring to either... just can't compare to the feel of the glass trackpads on Macs.

As for not being so close minded - Windows users shouldn't be either - and once they give OSX a real spin, well... ;)

But just plain hardware build quality/engineering, is something Asus and Samsung hasn't quite achieved in trying to imitate the MBA.

No, you are being close minded. There really isnt a point arguing with you because you are just the type of person who thinks Macs are better than any machine ever built, in every single aspect.

You are the kind of people who give Apple users a reputation of being pushy and annoying.

neteng101
Dec 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
There really isnt a point arguing with you because you are just the type of person who thinks Macs are better than any machine ever built, in every single aspect.

Did you miss the part of my initial post where I stated specifically that I keep a PC for gaming? Gaming on a Mac is a joke - I'd never be satisfied trying to run Skyrim on my MBA (or a 2011 MBA or even the top-end MBP really, and even PC laptops just aren't quite powerful enough GPU-wise). I just keep it real - and the reality is that no one has come close to matching the MBA in a PC form yet. I've seen photos of the Samsung and Asus, thought they looked cooled, but hands-on, they were quite the cruel joke.

The only aspect that is not ideal with running Windows on a Mac is the different keyboard layouts ie. Mac keyboard missing certain keys.

Note I still have an Acer Aspire 1410 - lousy keyboard, horrible screen, trackpad and all, with an SSD upgrade it runs very well till today... but it also didn't cost me anything near what Asus and Samsung are asking for their MBA clones. Nothing wrong with a PC - as long as the price matches the build quality ie. I'd pay peanuts to own usable but crappy, but when I have to pay top dollar, it better be worth every penny.

The 13" MBA is the best overall daily computing device the average person can buy for 99% of people out there, if price isn't a concern.

Booji
Dec 16, 2011, 07:55 PM
My first Mac was a 2010 MBA 11" I bought in February. After years of being a hater, I was "converted" in just one day. When the new MBA 13" came out, I immediately traded up to a 13" Ultimate.

I really do think this is the best overall laptop of 2011. Expensive, yes, but the value is really there.

With the Air, I no longer have hardware envy. Yes, there are cheaper and more powerful Windows machines out there, but it makes no difference as the MBA has more power than I ever need running current applications. I used to lust after the Vaio Z Series as the technical specs are amazing for such a small size. But at nearly twice the price for the top end model it looks like an inferior choice.

The overall of the Air experience is unmatched. The ergonomics, the service, the stability of the OS.

OK, I drank the KoolAid and I admit it!

thekev
Dec 16, 2011, 08:09 PM

The biggest complaint I seem to hear with Asus is always support/warranty service. It seems like they don't break often, but it's an issue trying to get them repaired when they do. Regarding their zenbook, it's a first generation product. The initial macbook air didn't do very well. Give it at least a second design iteration and we'll see how they stack up. FWIW I probably couldn't live with a macbook air or zenbook if I was purchasing a laptop for work. The SSD wouldn't make up for lower ram capacity. If anything I'd set a quad macbook pro up with 16GB of ram and an SSD, then we'll see whose laptop is fastest:D.

iKanit
Dec 16, 2011, 09:48 PM
For me, I choose Macbook Pro over Air due to processing power, graphic, SDD Size (I installed 2 of 256GB SSDs). So, I can both prosent my Keynote to the client and edit my Movies with Final Cut.

daihard
Dec 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
TUAW ran a poll that the 13 mba won best mac of the year. How many macbook pro users have switched the macbook air, in this forum?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/12/12/13-macbook-air-tops-tuaw-best-of-2011-voting/

That's me. I switched from a 2009 13" MacBook Pro to a 2011 13" MacBook Air. Couldn't be happier. :)

That said, it would be even better if I was in a situation to be able to install Linux on it... ;)