Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aham23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
if you do, how, or what was your set up experience.

i am fairly capable when it comes to these things, but seem to stuck here.

the control panel installed fine and transfered my calendar and contacts to the cloud AND moved them in outlook 2007 to the iCloud folder.

that was fine for contacts, but it really limited the Outlook calendar, so i uninstalled and started over again. this time i am syncing just my contats from Outlook. all seemed fine again.

however, updates made to the contacts in the Outlook iCloud folder do not sync to the cloud or my phone. in fact the only sync that takes place is between cloud and phone. nothing transfers over from Outlook.

the Add In is enabled and i have shut it off (un checked contacts) singed out then back in, ect...... numerous times.

any PC users with Outlook got this working currently?

i want to use iCloud for contacts, find my phone, @me, shared reminders, and back up.

much thanks.

(Vista Home Premium PC)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm sorry, but I don't have a specific answer to your issue. I'll say that I'm getting very spotty sync'ing from Photo Stream to a Windows 7 PC. One thing that kick starts it for me is to not log out, but go into the iCloud Control Panel and deselect Photo Stream (apply) and then select it (apply). That forces a synchronization to take place.

You might want to try that as a test with your contacts. It's not a solution and I don't even consider it a workaround, but it will help isolate the issue. But I'm not too proud to not create a scheduled task to restart the iCloud service every so often. Be sure you have a good backup. ;)

There's already been one update to the iCloud Control Panel for Windows. I'm looking forward to the next one.

jbarwick

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Horrible! Crashes!!!

I eventually uninstalled the iCloud control panel.

First...memory leak. With the iCloud outlook plugin, 600MB memory image was common. Outlook would eventually lock up. Without it...about 70MB

It would also lock up all MS Office applications. (well, I was only trying to start Word).

Office 2010 32-bit on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit with iCloud plug-in...better stay away.

It took me a while to determine what was wrong. Kept cursing Microsoft, then had to apologize...curse iCloud plug-in.

I'll try it again when there is a new version of the plug-in.

----------

By the way...this may have something to do with SQLCE ?

I also use a program called Flare (you may have heard of it). The only thing in common that Flare has with Microsoft Office would be SQL CE. (Although I'm surprised that SQLCE would be an Office product).

Flare would also lockup until I removed the iClould plug-in...

but this may simply have been SQL CE unable to start due to memory issues (Outlook taking 700MB of memory)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.