PDA

View Full Version : Sound on my MBA is badly distorted

adamtj11
Dec 15, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have a problem that I can't get a clear answer to, the sound on my MBA is awfully distorted and crackly when above at most 70% battery really annoying . Is this just the quality of the speakers or should I have an Apple genius look at this when I'm up near the Belfast Apple store?

wrinkster22
Dec 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
this is not normal. take it back .

Macman45
Dec 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
I have a problem that I can't get a clear answer to, the sound on my MBA is awfully distorted and crackly when above at most 70% battery really annoying . Is this just the quality of the speakers or should I have an Apple genius look at this when I'm up near the Belfast Apple store?

In itunes? There is an update which was released yesterday, it is supposed to address problems like this. Assuming you HAVE installed the update, and are still having issues, try this:

In itunes open the equaliser, and check the pre-amp settings (these are normally set to auto) reduce the preamp power (you may have to play around a little to get the best results) If this fails to sort out your issues then back to the Apple store I'm afraid....I have no problems on my MBA 13" but did have until I reduced the preamp setting as described above.

adamtj11
Dec 15, 2011, 12:38 PM
In itunes? There is an update which was released yesterday, it is supposed to address problems like this. Assuming you HAVE installed the update, and are still having issues, try this:

In itunes open the equaliser, and check the pre-amp settings (these are normally set to auto) reduce the preamp power (you may have to play around a little to get the best results) If this fails to sort out your issues then back to the Apple store I'm afraid....I have no problems on my MBA 13" but did have until I reduced the preamp setting as described above.

I have updated and I also tried the equaliser, no luck , looks like it is going back to Apple, it sounds like whenever someone records a concert with a rubbish video recorder and the sound is muffled. I really need the Air this time of year with exams and stuff, so hopefully its a quick fix.

Also it seems to be system wide, for instance youtube videos have the same effect.

Macman45
Dec 15, 2011, 01:32 PM
I have updated and I also tried the equaliser, no luck , looks like it is going back to Apple, it sounds like whenever someone records a concert with a rubbish video recorder and the sound is muffled. I really need the Air this time of year with exams and stuff, so hopefully its a quick fix.

Also it seems to be system wide, for instance youtube videos have the same effect.

And hope it is a quick fix, but you may get swap out...Time Machine backup before you go!

adamtj11
Dec 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have found a temporary solution, to go into the Audio/MIDI settings and down turn down the right speaker to .7 of a decibel until I can get to the Apple store, sounds good but will still get it checked out/ fixed.

pieuk
Dec 25, 2011, 02:12 PM
mine did this, i replaced it..

however with the new one i now have smudge marks in my screen. brilliant!

MattZani
Dec 25, 2011, 03:34 PM
Mine has the problem of the keys rattling when listening to music :(

pieuk
Dec 28, 2011, 07:13 PM
Mine has the problem of the keys rattling when listening to music :(

yeah mine has this on certain things but on the whole its so much better than the first mba i had. the enter key was a complete nightmare

i think if you turn the vol down in midi it sorts it.

buddyspencer
Mar 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Got a MBA too - and for me the same. Sound is annoying... Rattling Keys the issue.

Give it back, and buy a MBP 13", which I actually don't like?!

adamtj11
Mar 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
Got a MBA too - and for me the same. Sound is annoying... Rattling Keys the issue.

Give it back, and buy a MBP 13", which I actually don't like?!

I sold mine in the end and bought the 13", which doesn't have the sound issue, but does creak the odd time but I can live with it. The Pro feels very old and dated now. I used one last night and it was far too thick and the resolution totally SUCKS.

buddyspencer
Mar 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ok - so there are some 13" Air's out there, which doesn't have rattling sound issues?