Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenmountain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
So, with apologies for the very basic nature of the question...

- I'd like to copy commercial DVDs which I own onto my hard drive for archive/preservation purposes. I would be playing these back only on my own machine - don't need to convert to a format for use on, say, an iPad, though playing the movies back in iTunes (as opposed to through the iMac's DVD Player) would be convenient.

- If possible I'd like to preserve the DVD formatting (i.e. chapter breaks), though this is not essential.

- It IS essential to preserve the episode breaks in DVDs of TV shows.

I've done a bit of research, but the huge number of available programs has left me confused. All of them, of course, claim to be the 'best' and while I have no problem with buying the necessary software I'm reluctant to buy four or five different packages as I try out each one. It would obviously be better to have a single package that rips the DVD and converts it to a reasonably-sized format for playback on my iMac all in one go.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
For an exact copy, I like Ripit. The file will open up in dvd player (~8gigs a movie with breaks, menues, etc)

For any and all conversions, I use handbreak (this will allow playback in itunes); (~1 gig a movie and no menues though can have chapter breaks)

greenmountain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
For an exact copy, I like Ripit. The file will open up in dvd player (~8gigs a movie with breaks, menues, etc)

For any and all conversions, I use handbreak (this will allow playback in itunes); (~1 gig a movie and no menues though can have chapter breaks)

Thank you for the quick reply. The RipIt website says that their program can also compress into an iTunes format "with one click" - so why is it better to use Handbrake?

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
DVDFab is now available for Mac, I've been using it for years on Windows; simple, intuitive and free. the free download continues to function to rip/decrypt DVDs, even after the trial period is over; the advanced functions cease to work. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

DVDFAB Download

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.