PDA

View Full Version : How should I port my Windows stuff over to a new Mac?

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 10:01 AM
How should I port my Windows stuff over to a new Mac? Using the Move2Mac application? Although, that's ANOTHER cost I have to shell out to pay for. Is it easier just to do it all by hand?

altair
May 29, 2005, 10:21 AM
What stuff do you need to move over? Once we know that it will be easier for us to tell ya :)

vatel
May 29, 2005, 10:30 AM
You probably want to be more specific about what kind and size of stuff you need to move, and what kind of organization you have

I just made the switch, and I did not use Move2Mac. I used an external USB drive (in this case, my Ipod).

I'm assuming you only want to move data files. Hopefully, other than your desktop these are all located in a couple of folders. If you have an external drive you can pretty much go PC => Drive => Mac. Save all your desktop stuff in a folder on the external drive, and then transfer the contents of that folder to the Mac desktop folder. In my case I had 8 GB of stuff to move and the process took about an hour. I have no problem with file recognition or data corruption on my mac, except for some movies which weren't recognized. I took care of this my installing MPlayer.

If you don't have an available external drive, or it's not big enough for your data collection; it is possible to connect your PC to your Mac directly via ethernet and copy the folders directly. I don't know how to set this up, but hopefully someone else will post that info for you.

Good luck!

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 10:40 AM
Okay thanks, I should try the ethernet method.

JonMaker
May 29, 2005, 11:04 AM
(On the PC)

Go to my computer. Right click on your hard drive. Select "Sharing and security". Yes, you want to share the root of the drive. Check "Share this folder on the network". Name the drive "C" or something similar.

Click on Start. Right click on "My Computer". Click on "properties". Click on the "Computer name" tab. Click "Change...". Name the computer "PC" or something similar. Click on "OK". Click on "OK".

Reboot.

(On the Mac)

Switch to Finder. on the "Go" menu, select "Connect to server...". The server address is smb://pc/c . Click connect. This should work.

On your Mac's desktop, you should find an icon of a globe in a box named "C". This is your PC's harddrive.

Double click on this icon. Drag the contents of "C" to where you want them on your Mac.

Optionally, you can drag "C" to the dock.