PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to move files, etc. from a Mac Mini to another Apple, like the iBook?

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 10:02 AM
How easy is it to move files, etc. from a Mac Mini to another Apple, like the iBook? Just in case I get a Mac Mini, but decide I want to move on to something more lightweight and portable like the iBook?

Thanks!

zach
May 29, 2005, 10:18 AM
Very easy. If you connect two macs with a FireWire cable, then boot one of the two normally, and the other by holding T while booting, the second computer boots as an external firewire harddisk, and you can simply drag-and-drop files.

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 10:35 AM
So, I could do it your method if I wanted to upgrade my Mac Mini to a new iBook? Then, how can I reformat the Mac Mini hard drive so I can sell it? And when you say drag and drop files; I would, of course, want to keep all my applications, etc. as well :)

zach
May 29, 2005, 10:38 AM
The beautiful thing about macs is that applications, for the most part, ARE drag-and-drop.

The .app format contains all the data for most applications inside it. The exceptions to this rule are applications like iLife, which has huge media files stored elsewhere.

If you don't want to drag and drop, Tiger also comes with a great tool that can move EVERYTHING over (called the Migration Assistant, iirc) with the aid of a firewire cable.

Reformatting is then easy. As you reinstall your OS, there's an options panel that allows you to do that, or you can simply use the Disk Utility app included with Tiger to do that.

<edit> and yes, you can do this between a mac mini and iBook </edit>

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 10:43 AM
When I buy a Mac Mini, does a Tiger CD come with it? For future re-installs? And does it have product activation headaches?

zach
May 29, 2005, 11:03 AM
Yep, Tiger CD comes with, as well as iLife on the Tiger CD.

And there are no "activation headaches" as no Apple product needs to be activated.

In fact, Tiger and iLife don't even require a serial.