PDA

View Full Version : Sync "On my Mac" Mailboxes between Computers?

eimeria
Dec 15, 2011, 05:19 PM
My work email only permits us to store a relatively small number of emails on the exchange server. I'm using Mail under the latest version of Lion.

I've been archiving all of my older emails on my mac in folders under "On my Mac". I have an archive folder for each of my projects. Sometimes when traveling, I bring my MacBook Air. I'd like to have access to those archived emails. Is there anyway to sync the messages stored "On my Mac" between computers?

Will I screw up the index if I put the ~/Library/Mail/V2 folder in Dropbox and connect the MBA to it with a symlink?

Any other thoughts on how to do it?

Weaselboy
Dec 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
I would not symlink with Dropbox like that. It may cause problems with the index as you said.

Here is an idea to sync that might work for you.

How about if you setup a GMail account and install that account as an IMAP account in Mail. Then make all the folders you want and put the archived mail in the GMail IMAP folders you made.

Then add the same GMail account to the second computer and all the IMAP emails/folders will sync up.

eimeria
Dec 16, 2011, 10:31 AM
That probably would work. My only limitation is that the archived info is confidential and legally protected info that shouldn't leave my computers.

That throws a little wrench into the process doesn't it!

ac3320
Dec 17, 2011, 01:01 AM
What I did is just highlight all of the "On My Mac" folders and drop them 'on top of' the "iCloud" heading. After confirming that they were all synced with iCloud (by going to iCloud.com and checking to make sure the folders showed up), I then deleted the old "On My Mac" folders.

It works great! All my iOS devices and Macs (using Apple Mail) have all those folders, and if I add an email or something to one of the folders, the changes take effect globally. It's awesome!

To be safe, you can backup those folders if you want, but it was all good for me.

MSWB
Oct 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm also interested in doing this but the last solution in this thread (regarding iCloud) sound the easiest, but it doesnt work for me. When I try to drag the folders over the iCloud icon on the mail sidebar, they bounce back - it won't accept them. I'm on 10.8.2.

What gives? I spent a good bit of time on the phone with Applecare today and they said it really can't be done any simple way.

kev