PDA

View Full Version : Part of the screen remains black after boot from sleep

sarah-x
Dec 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Macrumors!

I am new here and I hope this wasn't posted before (still this forum seem very complete overall) well I hope my search skill wasn't that bad. Otherwise a bad start for me, brrr.

Anyway to the thing!
When I start up my MBA11 (13) sometimes only the part of the screen "wake up", the screen is on, but the color of more than the half is black. When I draw the cursor over that area, it pretty much goes back to normal. So its definitely not an hardware-issue. That much I can figure myself.

I attach two pictures as an example.

Thanks for taking the time to read my lines!

All the best,
Sarah

halledise
Dec 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Macrumors!

I am new here and I hope this wasn't posted before (still this forum seem very complete overall) well I hope my search skill wasn't that bad. Otherwise a bad start for me, brrr.

Anyway to the thing!
When I start up my MBA11 (13) sometimes only the part of the screen "wake up", the screen is on, but the color of more than the half is black. When I draw the cursor over that area, it pretty much goes back to normal. So its definitely not an hardware-issue. That much I can figure myself.

I attach two pictures as an example.

Thanks for taking the time to read my lines!

All the best,
Sarah

not normal Sarah
you could try resetting the NVRAM - but I'd say it's off to the Apple Store for a replacement

wrinkster22
Dec 15, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Sarah,
Is your machine under warranty? Does it do this once it is done booting? You should probably take it to the apple store for a replacement if it is under warranty, or if it is not try reseting the pram first.
Hope I helped, Wrinkster22

sarah-x
Dec 15, 2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for such fast replays!

Overall my MBA works great, and this only happens when it wakes up from sleep (boot and everything else is just fine). You can see a trail from the pointer, if i just drag a little more the black will all disappear and it will go back to normal. I don't know but it feels like it is software-based somehow, and if i would relate it to something, it would be to the latest months apple-updates. Its like it takes longer time for the MBA to wake up. I also, as many other lion-users suffer from "laggy" Launchpad.

I am not sure, but I think there is other ppl out there that has this "problem", it is not really a problem. But it is annoying.

romuald
Dec 16, 2011, 07:11 AM
I confirm I have the same issue on my late 2011 MBP 15" in clamshell mode with a ATD. It definitely looks like a software issue.

onthecouchagain
Dec 16, 2011, 09:45 AM
I have a similar issue, which I documented at the Apple support site here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3483451?start=0&tstart=0. Perhaps you can add your issue to the thread.

My screen, when waking from sleep, is scrambled in the log in screen, but after logging in, is fine again. I believe it's a software issue, in my case.

halledise
Dec 16, 2011, 06:34 PM
I have a similar issue, which I documented at the Apple support site here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3483451?start=0&tstart=0. Perhaps you can add your issue to the thread.

My screen, when waking from sleep, is scrambled in the log in screen, but after logging in, is fine again. I believe it's a software issue, in my case.

it can't be, otherwise everyone's would be doing it.

you look like you've got a faulty video card and Sarah's got hardware issues also.

stick to you beliefs if you wish, but were it my machine I'd be off to Apple like a rocket while there's still warranty - that is what a warranty is for after all :)

romuald
Dec 17, 2011, 07:08 AM
it can't be, otherwise everyone's would be doing it.

you look like you've got a faulty video card and Sarah's got hardware issues also.

stick to you beliefs if you wish, but were it my machine I'd be off to Apple like a rocket while there's still warranty - that is what a warranty is for after all :)

I disagree, it's definitely not that simple. A software issue may very well be caused by a very specific context. It can depend for instance on third-party apps being installed on the system, or on the apps being run before the system goes to sleep (since the issue occurs when the system wakes up). I wouldn't certify that "it can't be", at least without having this assertion backed by a team of Apple engineers having had a serious look at the issue.

Additionally, the issue happens with different machines, not having all the same video card. Some persons on the Apple discussion thread had their hardware replaced and the issue started again soon after.

One person said he contacted Apple Care and they answered it will be fixed by a software update.

alphaod
Dec 17, 2011, 05:35 PM
I have this issue everytime I boot up my Mac Pro and if I had booted into Windows just before. I see the Windows logo (from the desktop wallpaper) and then a second later it will show my login window.

I think it's caused by the video card displaying old cached video still in VRAM.

I've never had this issue on my notebook however, but I think that's because I use my dedicated GPU in Windows, and I use the integrated graphics in OS X.

sarah-x
Dec 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the additional information and theories, my intention is to solve it eventually (in some way) but its not really urgent, just annoying for now.

I am still hard into that this is some kind of software-related program, because except this everything is working great. But I still found it relieving to hear that others had this issue also.

Lets hope it will be fixed in someway, I will keep looking into this thread to see if any of all these great folks over here at MacRumors knows or will come up with a solution. I will report my own experiences as I go.