Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
I'm contemplating purchasing an ATV2, but I'm afraid to get it if it's going to be a waste of money given my current wireless situation.

I have a Medialink N router. Speedtest results on my iPhone 4:

Within 6' of router: 18 Mbps download
Where ATV2 will live: 1.62 Mbps

The router is on the third floor of a three story townhouse (and won't be moved), the ATV2 will go on the ground floor.

These results seem lousy to me, are they acceptable for streaming HD movies?

Thanks,

-N

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Ours does ok one floor down, but two floors down I think you're asking too much. Once in a while we'll have a performance drop, but usually figure out it's because we set a cordless (DECT) phone or one of our iPhones too close (within a foot or two) of the Apple TV.

Had you thought about some of those power line ethernet converters? Don't know if they would work or not but saw some advertised and got me thinking it may give better performance for our tv and apple tv.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I'm contemplating purchasing an ATV2, but I'm afraid to get it if it's going to be a waste of money given my current wireless situation.

I have a Medialink N router. Speedtest results on my iPhone 4:

Within 6' of router: 18 Mbps download
Where ATV2 will live: 1.62 Mbps

The router is on the third floor of a three story townhouse (and won't be moved), the ATV2 will go on the ground floor.

These results seem lousy to me, are they acceptable for streaming HD movies?

Thanks,

-N

could you try an airport express to extend your wifi?

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
could you try an airport express to extend your wifi?

I'd like to do that, but neither the Medialink router nor the Airport Express appear in the Airport Utility. Further, I was under the impression you couldn't use an Airport Express as a bridge with a non-Apple router.

Thanks,

-N

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I'd like to do that, but neither the Medialink router nor the Airport Express appear in the Airport Utility. Further, I was under the impression you couldn't use an Airport Express as a bridge with a non-Apple router.

Thanks,

-N

That's a good question...I don't have any experience with the express...just something I've been considering to improve my wifi here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.