Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I am so excited - today I actually had my first conversation with my dad about buying a Mac that he didn't say "You're never getting one!" instead he said, "oh, thats interesting..." (non sarcastically.)

Anyway, if I get a Mac I'm getting the Logitech Z-5500 speakers... 5.1 Digital. I was thinking about getting an iMac or a 12" PowerBook, but I want to take full advantage of these speakers.

If I get a Mac, which one has the best sound card? Also, do they sell external sound cards for the Mac which provide Digital 5.1 Surround sound?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you get a Mac with an optical digital output (any of the PowerMac G5's, the iMac G5, 17" Powerbook) then you can take 5.1 digitally to the Logitech Z-5500 Digital with a Toslink cable.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486

Otherwise, you can look at the M-Audio Sonica Theater (which has analog outs for 7.1 + optical out) or the Transit (which has an optical out for DTS passthrough only) http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

5.1 operation depends on the source material being 5.1, and the software you are playing it through supporting 5.1

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
So Basically, an iMac G5 would 100% support the Logitech Z-5500??

If so, I know which computer I'm going to buy!!

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
CanadaRAM said:
If you get a Mac with an optical digital output (any of the PowerMac G5's, the iMac G5, 17" Powerbook) then you can take 5.1 digitally to the Logitech Z-5500 Digital with a Toslink cable.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486

Otherwise, you can look at the M-Audio Sonica Theater (which has analog outs for 7.1 + optical out) or the Transit (which has an optical out for DTS passthrough only) http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

5.1 operation depends on the source material being 5.1, and the software you are playing it through supporting 5.1

I have the logitech z-680's ( very similar to the 5500 ) and the M-audi Revolutions 5.1 card and I could never be more pleased... these speakers are kick-ass!! and so is the sound card!..

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
dotdotdot said:
So Basically, an iMac G5 would 100% support the Logitech Z-5500??

If so, I know which computer I'm going to buy!!
No, only the Power Mac G5's and the 17" have built-in optical digital outputs. With the iMac G5, you'd have to get one of the adaptors CanadaRAM mentioned.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
i have the sonica theater

i like the digital out, i have not used it since installing tiger as M-audio has yet to get around to producing tiger drivers.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
MoparShaha said:
No, only the Power Mac G5's and the 17" have built-in optical digital outputs. With the iMac G5, you'd have to get one of the adaptors CanadaRAM mentioned.

The iMac has digital audio output.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Is digital out the port that is powered like on the QuickSilver to work with the Apple Pro Speakers. I don't think so, but I'm not sure what digital audio out is...anyone care to explain? :p

Ti_Poussin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
I have a Logitech Z-680 with a m-audio Sonica Theater, take care of m-audio driver, don't install them they totally suck. But since Tiger support the card directly it's ok. I have seen people using the creative audigy external sound card and they are support, no special driver through.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
wait what is this about a toslink cable? I just bought x-530 speakers, and right now have it going to my computer through two headphone splitters, which i feel is a crappy way to do it. Can anyone send me a link to what i would need?

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
stevey500 said:
Tiger should have support for your Sonica card... tiger worked right away with my Revo 5.1

i'll try again, but the first time i tried in tiger, the drivers did not work and tiger did not detect (wasn't listed as a sound output option)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
So for an iMac I would need:

-An iMac G5
-Logitech Z-5500s
-An M-Audio thing

So, what is the best M-Audio thing for under $150?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
dotdotdot said:
I am so excited - today I actually had my first conversation with my dad about buying a Mac that he didn't say "You're never getting one!" instead he said, "oh, thats interesting..." (non sarcastically.)

Anyway, if I get a Mac I'm getting the Logitech Z-5500 speakers... 5.1 Digital. I was thinking about getting an iMac or a 12" PowerBook, but I want to take full advantage of these speakers.

If I get a Mac, which one has the best sound card? Also, do they sell external sound cards for the Mac which provide Digital 5.1 Surround sound?
Your speakers ship with a Toslink cable in the box. If you buy a Mac with optical digital output, you don't need to buy anything else. It's a Mac. It just works.

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
dotdotdot said:
So for an iMac I would need:

-An iMac G5
-Logitech Z-5500s
-An M-Audio thing

So, what is the best M-Audio thing for under $150?

UNDER $150?! ROFLMAO!!!

You're kidding, right?

5.1 is overrated anyway.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
MisterMe said:
Your speakers ship with a Toslink cable in the box. If you buy a Mac with optical digital output, you don't need to buy anything else. It's a Mac. It just works.

PHEW!! So I save money!!!!

I thought I needed the M-Audio thing for $120... yes JonMaker, $120!... instead, I just need the speakers and the included toslink cable!

!!! I'm so happy now! I mean, if I don't get an iMac G5 I'll be really upset, but if I do, this is GREAT!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
jer446 said:
wait what is this about a toslink cable? I just bought x-530 speakers, and right now have it going to my computer through two headphone splitters, which i feel is a crappy way to do it. Can anyone send me a link to what i would need?
A Toslink cable is an optical cable for digital audio signals. It is a fibre-optic connection, rather than an electrical conductor.

To use it, you have to have a receiver, amplifier or powered speakers that has an optical digital input, and a decoder for decoding surround sound. Your x-530 speakers do not have digital input, so this is not an option for you.

For better sound, you could investigate one of the USB audio solutions, from the Griffin iMic or Powerwave, the M-Audio Sonica Theater (for surround) or the Transit (for stereo only)

Is digital out the port that is powered like on the QuickSilver to work with the Apple Pro Speakers. I don't think so, but I'm not sure what digital audio out is...anyone care to explain?

Erm... no it's not. It's a digital audio port (as opposed to analog audio, which is what is on speakers, headphones and RCA jacks that go to stereos).

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Do I need to buy a Mini-Toslink to Toslink cable to connect it to the back of the iMac G5?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
stevey500 said:
Tiger should have support for your Sonica card... tiger worked right away with my Revo 5.1

It should but it doesn't support my sonica either. There is a new download for Revolution 7.1 cards, even though the 5.1 driver seems to work. The following is from their drivers area:

M-Audio's engineering department is constantly working to improve and update drivers for our computer-based products. We recommend that you download the latest driver for your device and operating system in order to assure optimal performance and access to the latest features and improvements.

Apple 10.4 Notice:

We are currently verifying compatibility of our hardware with Apple's new Tiger operating system. No device manufacturer can predict the compatibility of their hardware with a new OS until the final version has been released. We value your time and user experience, and want to ensure that our Tiger drivers are as robust as possible before providing them for download. We thank you for your patience while we verify these drivers, and we will post them shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.